IGNORED

Longevity of old, unused media: 5.25" floppies

Recently I have been making new copies of disks on my Commodore 128D. I have a few packs of unused 5.25" 360k (DSDD or MD2D) disks which were obviously not manufactured this century. At this point I have been using some non-brand, Goldstar, Memorex, Ectype, Que, TDK, and Fuji.

Most of us are well aware of the various ways old media like this can fail. The two of which I am dealing now are shedding oxides, and mold and mildew. To correct the mold and mildew problem I am removing the media from the sleeve, gently cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, and returning it to a donor sleeve to make immediate copies and then discard. Working fine and not screwing up my drive heads and other disks as a result.

But to that last point, screwing up drive heads, I never would have expected Memorex floppies to shed recording media! Sure enough, both disks I used from a 10-pack are pitting showing where the recording layer is coming off. The drive starts to squeal and subsequent disks used in the drive get etched. The others are faring well. Even if scratchy-sounding in the sleeve, a moderate inspection of the media reveals no obvious defects.

I would be interested in others' experiences in this realm. One thing for certain: keep head cleaning kits on-hand when dealing with unknown media, and probably use only a sacrificial drive on old or unknown media (in my case a 1571 layered in nicotine,) and sacrificial media for drives of unknown condition (like my two MSD-2s I just found.)

• Like 3

I have really never had those problems. Disks I used 25 years ago still working fine to this day. Wonder if your climate there is speeding the decay rates.

The only time i see oxides shedding visually is when I get batches of used disks with a lot of computer items. it all depends on how they were stored over the years it would seem.

now 3.5's are a whole different matter altogether.

• Like 1

I've bought several hundred brand new, sealed, old stock Maxell, 3M and Sony DSDD 5.25" floppies over the last few years. Out of the 300 or so that I've used so far, I haven't had problems with a single one.

Me neither. Keep these things away from large magnets (unshielded speakers) and high humidity and you'll be okay.

I have a bunch of NOS floppies I have picked up recently. I am storing them in a Sterilite air-tight storage containers with a couple of desiccant packs.

Some of these boxes of blanks are rather dubious: I have no idea from where they came nor how they were stored before I got them. I am assuming not in ideal conditions.

It is good to know there are still so many floppies out there working well.

I'll have to agree with the above posters. I have a shipping box of NOS SKC single sided floppy disks, and out of the first pack that I opened, only 1 of 10 would have formatting issues, on my Apple II+ clone to be precise, but I don't think type of encoding or disk format affects the ability to utilize the magnetic field, at least not on previously unused disks.

I also have access to a big number of used 30+ year old disks. Some squeek, but very rarely I see physical defects or miscolouration on the surface. And those were certainly not stored in air tight, climate controlled containers, rather indoors in open air.

I have a bunch of NOS floppies I have picked up recently. I am storing them in a Sterilite air-tight storage containers with a couple of desiccant packs.

Some of these boxes of blanks are rather dubious: I have no idea from where they came nor how they were stored before I got them. I am assuming not in ideal conditions.

It is good to know there are still so many floppies out there working well.

just avoid the DSHD disks for commodore equipment. it just doesn't like them. I can use them in Atari gear easily.

My C= drive of choice is a 1571, and those are a pain to realign. I've had very good luck with 3M and KAO disks bought in NOS lots. As for the plain white box disks, mixed results. About 20% total failure and a few with only 1 good side.

I have really never had those problems. Disks I used 25 years ago still working fine to this day. Wonder if your climate there is speeding the decay rates.

The only time i see oxides shedding visually is when I get batches of used disks with a lot of computer items. it all depends on how they were stored over the years it would seem.

now 3.5's are a whole different matter altogether.

I live in South Florida, where it's way more humid than it is in Tallahassee. It's like him being in Maryland, and me being in South Carolina in terms of distance. But all of my original 5.25" floppies still work... at least the quality ones that came with original games that I bought. Sierra games, TSR / AD&D games, etc...

In terms of the mold on my disks, I am sure humidity alone was not the culprit. These disks have been around from norther plains, to the south-west, to the Florida pan handle, and to the big bend. Surely also not in the best storage conditions at all times. Temperature extremes, humidity, air flow, all the things that mold and mildew like.

When I got back into using a TRS-80 a number of years ago, folks suggested using an electronic bulk eraser on any floppies that are blank/new or intended to be reformatted. I've been doing that ever since and have never had a problem with my disks.

I have one of these actually: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271874064884

I have one of those. Inside is a transformer coil connected to the power. Interestingly simple design.

In general, you do not want to use HD media in DD devices.

Yup. It has to do with the intensity of the field required to write the data. The higher the density the higher the flux intensity - because data bits closer together need to be able to remain separate and defined well.

Yup. It has to do with the intensity of the field required to write the data. The higher the density the higher the flux intensity - because data bits closer together need to be able to remain separate and defined well.

Sadly, I see a LOT of sellers on eBay flogging software for DD drives on HD media. I just want to slap these bastards -- they are not doing anyone any favors. It does not cost a lot to get a batch of real DD media in 3.5" or 5.25" format, so why not do it the right way??

In terms of the mold on my disks, I am sure humidity alone was not the culprit. These disks have been around from norther plains, to the south-west, to the Florida pan handle, and to the big bend. Surely also not in the best storage conditions at all times. Temperature extremes, humidity, air flow, all the things that mold and mildew like.

Humidity alone *can* and will be the culprit. Doesn't matter if they came from northern plaines. Lots of idiots don't know how to temper their basement up north. Believe me, half the jackholes up here don't even know what a dehumidifier is. ;)

Homes/basements get plenty, and devastatingly, humid up here and even worse - too many clueless/careless dolts are only too proud of their makeshift sheds, that they shove this old stuff in, thinking it's all good. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Id imagine if data was copied to a floppy and kept in an air-tight container with no moisture to speak of and kept in an air tight metal safe, theyd probably last a good 50-60 years haha. neat idea for a time capsule.

Edited by mehguy

I recently got some 8" floppy disks for Ohio Scientic computers, with Feb 1981 stamped on them (and © 1978 on the ink label itself). I mailed them to an OSI enthusiast who successfully transferred them to emulator format. I was amazed and delighted, but in this case the disks had been in climate-controlled storage since 1989.

From what I have read, since around 2000-ish, 3.5" floppies were made with declining standard. I have had more HD 3.5" floppies go bad than DD, so I find it difficult to doubt.

I would also agree. I get about 10% failures right out of the box on 3.5 HD's.