IGNORED

just got an intellivision. can you recommend good games?

I just got an intellivision(original) with 30 games and the intellivoice I was wondering what games where good for it. Here is the list of games I got so far(most complete in box!

Triple Action

NFL Football

Auto Racing

Donkey Kong

NBA Basketball

Star Strike

Advance Dungeons and Dragons

Bowling

Space Battle

Space Armada

Major League Baseball

Sea Battle

Boxing

Horse Racing

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Carnival

Space Spartans

Lock'N'Chase

Night Stalker

Utopia

Slam Dunk Super Pro Basketball

Tron Deadly Discs

Super Challenge Baseball

Atlantis

Masters of the Universe

Beauty & the Beast

Super Challenge Football

Also demon attack and bomb squad. Is there any more good games? I'm excited to apart of the intellivison brotherhood.

AD&D is fun, but challenging (especially on the two hardest difficulties). Atlantis is brutally hard but fun. Now for stuff you don't have? Anything by AtariSoft is excellent, Dig Dug and Commando were fun (if slightly pricier-to-get) ports. If you enjoy roguelikes, nothing beats Tower of Doom on the INTV. Thunder Castle's a great game with very nice graphics and surprisingly-good music. Burgertime is a common but amazingly well done port of the arcade game. Activision made some good titles (Pitfall, Happy Trails, Stampede, Beamrider), TRON: Deadly Discs was fun.

I'll think of more over time.

Congrats on getting an Intellivision!! Great games to get is Astrosmash. It Is related to Astroblast on the 2600. You control a cannon that shoots falling asteroids. Very addicting!! Donkey Kong Jr. Isn't a bad one and much better than Donkey Kong. Burgertime is a must have for your collection and beats the 2600 version by a country mile. Snafu is a fun snakes game one of my top favs of the library. SharkShark is a great one. And my favorite game you must get is Dungeons and Dragons: Treasures of Tarmin. Out of the games you got. Advance Dungeons and Dragons, Masters of the Universe, Beauty and the Beast, Demon Attack, Night Stalker, Lock n Chase, Space Armada, Carnival, and Tron Deadly Discs are some of the best!!

Edited by Retrogamer81081
  • Like 1

I thought of getting commando... but for a 1979 intellivision? Idk how good it will be lol also, I know intellivision is alot of 2 player only games. Is there a reason behind that? I'm okay with it just curious? Was the CPU to slow or something?

Edited by segasaturn

I thought of getting commando... but for a 1979 intellivision? Idk how good it will be lol also, I know intellivision is alot of 2 player only games. Is there a reason behind that? I'm okay with it just curious? Was the CPU to slow or something?

They intended to release it as multiplayer head to head games. This is a system that came out 35 years ago. This was a primitive time for sports games to be controlled by computer opponents (Artificial Intelligence) and only few games of all systems during that time had these capabilities. A great game against the computer is World Championship Baseball.

Welcome to Intellivision!

Most of the original run of sports titles were two-player. Maybe it was in a podcast or speculation elsewhere, but the reasoning was likely a combination of time-to-market pressure, space for the game, and that people more often played with friends. The later "Super Pro" lineup of sports titles addressed this by adding AI. Utopia is awesome, but like Sea Battle and Armor Battle, requires two players.

From your list, it sounds like you have a few M-Network Atari VCS titles in there, too - the Super Challenge games.

Awhile back we had a long polling process to try to define a 'best games' list and wongojack complied the top 50 here.

Edited by intvsteve

Commando is awful on the Intellivision. Astrosmash is overrated and boring, you can pretty much play forever.

Some of the best games (excluding homebrews) are AD&D Cloudy Mountain, the Atari games (except Pole Position which is terrible), Atlantis, Beauty & The Beast, Worm Whomper, Football, Baseball, Microsurgeon, Burgertime, and Diner.

I concur...Commando is not very good...definitely avoid Pole position.

I recommend Tower of Doom. It's my favorite game on the console so far. If you go the Homebrew route get Superchef, if you like Burgertime it is VERY good. Flappee Bird I thought I would hate, I still kind of hate it but man, it sure gets a lot of playtime for a game I hate, lol. For arcade ports Defender is highly playable. Thunder Castle is so close to being awesome but has a few nuisances that stop it from being a top pick of mine.Still fun in short bursts though...

Is the ecs worth it? For future expansion?

Search for the ECS down the road a ways, enjoy the games Jason listed first.

Note that Sea Battle and Utopia are 2 player games, and I personally recommend any sports games.

Skiing is great, Golf as well and if you have someone to play against Baseball for certain.Enjoy! ;-)

Never did and still can't get into Diner, but Beauty and the Beast is an excellent DK clone for what it is. Very fun and addicting little game. Game just flows once you get going.

Pretty much all of the sports titles are really good and was definitely a genre that they exploited well. The Super Pro versions of most of the sports titles add a bunch of features, 1-player gameplay and enhanced graphics.

Both AD&D games are excellent as is Burgertime (easily one of the best translations of the game ever), Pinball is not to be missed and then there are the homebrew games already mentioned above. Some seriously crazy awesome efforts that will forever be timeless in their own right. Amazing what some of these guys are able to pull out of such an 'old' system! :love:

Some of my other favorite "must have" Intellivision games include:

Bump N Jump

DK, DK Jr. & DIIK Arcade homebrew

Lady Bug and Mousetrap

Lock N Chase

Locomotion and Happy Trails

Night Stalker and Ms. Night Stalker homebrew

Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man homebrew

Sea Battle

Tron: Deadly Discs

Utopia

A top 50 list was produced based on voting on the forums here.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226879-top-50-intellivision-games-as-determined-by-you/?hl=+top%20+20

AD&D is a great challenging game. Lock n Chase, Tron Deadly Discs, Night Stalker, Space Spartans, Utopia and Beauty and the Beast all great games.

Burger Time and Bump n Jump are must haves.

I personally love Thin Ice - deserves to be much higher than 50 on the list. I think the fact it's a bit hard to find and a bit pricey mean less people played it so it scored fewer votes.

Edited by HunterZero

Yes i would recommend get the Ecs add on. Some great games on there. Jetsons, scooby doo, Wrold series baseball. Unreleased Mattel, but now hombrews , Super Nfl, Game Factory amd soon Number Jumble. Also Homebrew. unreleased mattel game King of the Mountain.

Imagic game sword of serpents, Ice trek, Tropical trouble, safecracker, truckin, Atlantis,

bump n jump, mission x , . defintly Both Ad&d, my favs

There are so many good homebrew games too:

Christmas Carol

D2K

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pacman

Ms. Nightstalker

Super Chef BT

The Lost Caves of Kroz

Match 5

Princess Quest

Boulder Dash

I know. I was actually looking at d2k....though to me donkey Kong still looks like an alien! Haha. I wouldn't even know where to buy the homebrew games. Surprisingly, I hear alot about them and I'm looking into them for all my systems. I just never pulled the trigger for some strange reason. Intellivision has some cool ones though. Maybe it might be the first system I have a homebrew on. Edited by segasaturn