IGNORED

Need a Lynx II replacement screen cover

Wyluli Wolf

How did you remove the display plastic? I always was under the impression it was glued on?

Where you able to remove it without any permanent damage?

All the Lynx I've seen are not glued but have 4 tabs underneath the screen. 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. Carefully pry it off. Be very careful. You can easily scratch the black paint. Edited by Krip316

I have a deep scratch on the front of my Lynx II. Does anyone have or know where I can get a replacement screen cover?

Thanks!

If you don't find anyone here, there is a seller on eBay by the name of "techbabe" who sells them.

Krip316 - Thanks. I did see that techbabe had been selling them but there were none available. Perhaps she will post more..... Until then, arg.

StijnDW - Krip316 is right about the 4 tabs. You have to take it completely apart if you want to see those tabs from the inside. I pried at it forever then finally got ticked off and did break one of the plastic bits on the bottom that the tab grabs on to. How anyone achieves this without breakage or loss of sanity is beyond me. I may have to glue part of the replacement on. Good Luck!

I looked all over Best's website but didn't see replacement screens for the Lynx. I did buy one of the upgraded speakers from them though.

I'll try messaging "techbabe".

Best's website is weird. I emailed them a list of items I needed and the screen was one of them and they said they have them for $20. A bit pricey IMO. Techbabe sells them for around $10

I've just received my replacement screen cover from techbabe. It came packaged in a small envelope with no bubble wrap, loosely wrapped in a barely fitting piece of rough torn off packaging paper. I was surprised it didn't get damaged.

Apart from some very small scratches at the edges of the display, it looks as good as new.

• Like 1

Taking off the display cover is kind of a nightmare. The cover is really stiff, so you have to apply a lot of pressure to the tabs on the inside. Broke two parts of my housing that were holding the tabs because the cover gave very suddenly.

Still seems to be on there tightly enough because it clicks down on the sides of the cover as well.

That's a procedure I wouldn't really like to do again :^(

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, catmando said:

Anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement screen glass for the first generation Lynx's?

45 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I am still asking that question as well.  Wish there was a replacement, glass maybe?

You mean this? 

https://retrosix.co.uk/Atari-Lynx-Lens-c118215501

29 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Oh wow.  That's great.  Never heard of them.  Are they reliable?   Is it fairly easy to change out the screen on a Lynx I?  Thanks for the info!

I've only ordered their replacement lynx II mylars but that order arrived quickly and I've installed a few of their LCD kits into Game Gears that my clients ordered from them. So yes, they have good products.

Never replaced the lens on the Lynx I, but I'm assuming it is just a plastic silkscreened sheet and can be popped out from inside. Then you would use some mineral spirits or something similar to remove any left over adhesive from the plastic and then apply the replacement cover. That is basically what I do on the Game Gear and GBA.

4 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Great to know another resource.  I live in the USA.  Shipping is more than the part, but no matter.  I will remember the mylar availability.  Thanks again.

I think I might be on Bradley's do not serve list so finding out that retrosix made their own replacement mylar for the Lynx II was excellent and I ordered up a few to make it worth it for me. 

• 2 weeks later...