IGNORED

MainByte 32K16 Hardware Project

bholcomb007

Hello all!

I was interested in adding the 32K16 hardware project to my TI 99/4A and attempted to contact Richard Bell, but alas his email is old and no longer valid.

The project is located here: http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/32K16/32k16.html

If anyone could aid in finding the parts list and schematics at the least so I could make my own board that would be super, and if anyone knows where to get the kit now, even better!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Hello all!

I was interested in adding the 32K16 hardware project to my TI 99/4A and attempted to contact Richard Bell, but alas his email is old and no longer valid.

The project is located here: http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/32K16/32k16.html

If anyone could aid in finding the parts list and schematics at the least so I could make my own board that would be super, and if anyone knows where to get the kit now, even better!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Richard is here.. and I've been asking him about these for a while but he has been busy running for congress. I will ping again.

Greg

Hi All, Greg and I have been working out getting the remaining SNUG 32-16 kits available for those interested but time for us to accomplish the task with my life taken over by a run for Congress over the past year and a half have kept us from succeeding. Now that the election has passed and I didn't win, my life is getting back to normal and I will be getting a package out to Greg within the next couple of weeks. The inventory is low but probably enough to easily meet the current demand of about half dozen kits. It will be up to Greg to decide if it's worthwhile to make another run of the boards and possibly move from a PAL device to a PLD device. SNUG (Michael Becker) has released the rights to me for the kit and there is no longer a modest license fee required. The kits are a high quality board and parts and should probably sell in the $40 range but Greg and I have not finalized pricing as we need to calculate current pricing of parts first. The SNUG 32-16 has more features than just adding the 32k to the 16 bit buss and I believe I have scanned the latest docs for it and have them on one of my old chip programming machines. I'll try to find them and post them here for all to see ASAP.

• Like 4

Thanks Richard, that makes me feel quite hopeful for obtaining the mod for my machine.

Look forward to hearing back about it. I also have another friend that just got bitten by the TI bug (he is an atari fan from old) and he will be wanting one as well.

Again, thanks for the reply and I look forward to the upgrade.

Ben

Hi All, Greg and I have been working out getting the remaining SNUG 32-16 kits available for those interested but time for us to accomplish the task with my life taken over by a run for Congress over the past year and a half have kept us from succeeding. Now that the election has passed and I didn't win, my life is getting back to normal and I will be getting a package out to Greg within the next couple of weeks. The inventory is low but probably enough to easily meet the current demand of about half dozen kits. It will be up to Greg to decide if it's worthwhile to make another run of the boards and possibly move from a PAL device to a PLD device. SNUG (Michael Becker) has released the rights to me for the kit and there is no longer a modest license fee required. The kits are a high quality board and parts and should probably sell in the $40 range but Greg and I have not finalized pricing as we need to calculate current pricing of parts first. The SNUG 32-16 has more features than just adding the 32k to the 16 bit buss and I believe I have scanned the latest docs for it and have them on one of my old chip programming machines. I'll try to find them and post them here for all to see ASAP.

Woo! ok cool thanks for the update Richard and my condolences on the stupidity of New York voters.. ready when you are

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As real estate fills up in my P-Box, I figure down the road I'm going to have to pull the TI 32K card and install memory in the console with all the other stuff I have stuck in there. I have to admit though, I've had my eye on Tursi's mod < HERE >> because I had read of some speed issues and incompatibilities with some software with the 32K on the 16 bit bus mod. But then again, this was clear back in 1989 when I last considered that option. Have things changed since then?

As real estate fills up in my P-Box, I figure down the road I'm going to have to pull the TI 32K card and install memory in the console with all the other stuff I have stuck in there. I have to admit though, I've had my eye on Tursi's mod < HERE >> because I had read of some speed issues and incompatibilities with some software with the 32K on the 16 bit bus mod. But then again, this was clear back in 1989 when I last considered that option. Have things changed since then?

I thought this was switchable as to whether there were extra wait states or not and everything worked with wait states enabled.

*edit*

Now that I think about it, there may have been some issues with RAM at different locations in the scratchpad area.

Edited by JamesD

nope! I'll ping him again!

Greg

Richard has been unable to spend any time on this over the summer. He hopes to get to it sometime in the fall/winter I will definately post when I have new information.

I know everyone is anxious but $#!+ happens and life takes priority over hobby fun. Having had that kind of summer myself I am totally understanding of Richard's priorities and ask you be patient and we'll get this figured out when we get it figured out..

Greg

• Like 1

There are so few issues and incompatibilities with the 16-bit RAM that it's really not a consideration in whether you do it (the crystal change has larger impacts). It's worth the speedup! Only reason I developed my solution was I was tired of soldering so many wires. ;)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Will there ever be any more of these boards produced? Is there anything else like it in the works?

32k sidecar as he linked you to and theres a 32k internal hack that is here under the title hardware project of the quarter. The sidecar is a lot less work and priced cheap.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk