IGNORED

Mattel/Aquarius branded TV

Hello,

Back in the early 1980s I was yearning for the computer component for the Intellivision. I didn't get any magazines and the Internet was not around then so I had no clue that it was scrapped and the ECS would take its place. My parents knew that I wanted to get the computer expansion for my INTV and during the Xmas of 81 (maybe)my parents got me a new 13 inch color TV. I had been using a 12 inch black and white that was dying

Anyway, one of the reasons my parents picked this particular TV out for me was that it was made for Mattel Electronics Aquarius Computer. I was not sure what the Aquarius was and it didn't really matter because later that year I got my Atari 800 XL.

I have checked the net and didn't see any info regarding the TV. The set itself doesn't indicate anything about Mattel but the box does. I found the box in my parents attic. I still have the TV, but it is buried in my garage. As of 10-15 years ago it still works.

Attached are the pictures of the box depicting the Mattel stickers. Does anyone know anything about this? The unit was purchased at Kiddie City a toy store competitor to Toys R Us. It was owned by the Lionel corporation.

post-39602-0-96245100-1432997121_thumb.jpg

post-39602-0-93558800-1432997134_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hello,

Back in the early 1980s I was yearning for the computer component for the Intellivision. I didn't get any magazines and the Internet was not around then so I had no clue that it was scrapped and the ECS would take its place. My parents knew that I wanted to get the computer expansion for my INTV and during the Xmas of 81 (maybe)my parents got me a new 13 inch color TV. I had been using a 12 inch black and white that was dying

Anyway, one of the reasons my parents picked this particular TV out for me was that it was made for Mattel Electronics Aquarius Computer. I was not sure what the Aquarius was and it didn't really matter because later that year I got my Atari 800 XL.

I have checked the net and didn't see any info regarding the TV. The set itself doesn't indicate anything about Mattel but the box does. I found the box in my parents attic. I still have the TV, but it is buried in my garage. As of 10-15 years ago it still works.

Attached are the pictures of the box depicting the Mattel stickers. Does anyone know anything about this? The unit was purchased at Kiddie City a toy store competitor to Toys R Us. It was owned by the Lionel corporation.

pretty cool. What brand is the tv? Does it have woodgrain? Manual knob or pushbutton?

Very interesting. The logo on the box is definitely an old Samsung logo, and the date of manufacture (July 1983) would correspond to the brief period that Mattel was actively marketing the Aquarius. My guess is that this TV was originally intended to be part of a promotional package, perhaps a display unit for a retail store. There's nothing Aquarius-specific about it except the label on the box, but it's nice to know the type of TV that Mattel used in their retail displays. Coincidentally, I've got a (much newer) 13" Samsung CRT TV hooked up to my Aquarius right now!

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 5/30/2015 at 7:48 AM, moonlight_mile said:

Anyway, one of the reasons my parents picked this particular TV out for me was that it was made for Mattel Electronics Aquarius Computer. ...

I have checked the net and didn't see any info regarding the TV. The set itself doesn't indicate anything about Mattel but the box does. ... Attached are the pictures of the box depicting the Mattel stickers. Does anyone know anything about this?

post-39602-0-96245100-1432997121_thumb.jpg

Mattel partnered up with manufacturers of over-produced TV models so they could both dump some inventory. Such a deal. Paul Rioux was the guy that made it happen.

• Like 1