IGNORED

New TI-99/4A Tunnels of Doom(TOD) game and Game Editor

Fritz442

Anyone ever have any troubles with Quests not matching up with their sprites? I'm guessing it's because I was lazy and didn't use slot 1 or 2, but I was just testing my objective sprites and two of the sprites did not match up. I made four, it served me three, two correctly tied to their text / parameters, one mismatched, and one was the original King! :-)

Here's some images of what I'm dealing with. It just shows the Quest window filled out along with the missing Quest 5 sprite from the victory screen.

Cheers!

post-64304-0-38207400-1524696951_thumb.jpg

post-64304-0-65951300-1524696964_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

First of all, the quests need to be 1~4, always use the quest slots from the top down,

never have empty quests slots above others...Images you can use in any order.

Second, I don't see image #5 even being used? I see 1,4,3,6?

And I'm assuming image #1 is still the King graphic tied to quest #3.

Edited by Fritz442
  • Like 1

Wow, this is what happens when you "code" on no sleep and dealing with Putting your cat put down, etc... Wow. Yeah, just decided on my own apparently that in Navajas World the TI would know that I put those quests in those slots in order to use the like numbered sprites. Image cell shmimage cell. Duh.

Thanks for the second pair of eyes, Fritz.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

There are 56 monster slots, and QUEST uses them all.  If a fella wanted to limit the number of monsters in a game, what would he have to do to make that happen?

IIRC, on the old Asgard editor, you had to use all available slots... there was no "flag" for "Monster slot on" or "Monster slot off."

I think I ended up having to duplicate a bunch of monsters so they would be distributed evenly, and that took days on that old system.  

Is there a way to do this quickly and/or easily in your editor, Fritz?  Is there a value in memory for "how many monsters are being used in this game?"

No, you need to fill all monster slots. If someone plays the third difficulty level(hardest) and plays all 10 floors

you will be seeing those upper monster slots, so you have to fill them. No way to duplicate them, it must be

done manually.

Edited by Fritz442

On 7/30/2015 at 1:27 PM, jedimatt42 said:

If anyone is interested, here is my first creation from Fritz's editor... To the annoyance of my wife, I feel I have tuned this sufficiently :)

https://github.com/jedimatt42/ti-99-tod-games/tree/master/Tod-ForestOfRuins

There are 8 relics to be found. You have no time limit to find them. It's a good old dungeon forest crawl.

-M@

Hey Matt and Fritz...

I couldn't figure out how to eliminate the time limit...  I have it jacked up to 25, but that's still a limit.

Is it a checkable box or something?

2 hours ago, Opry99er said:

Hey Matt and Fritz...

I couldn't figure out how to eliminate the time limit...  I have it jacked up to 25, but that's still a limit.

Is it a checkable box or something?

No checkbox, just set the time to '0'  :woozy:

Owen: "One more:  Do the monster numbers (ID numbers) correspond in some way to the frequency they are encountered or the level on which they spawn?"

It's more the level they will appear...the higher the # the deeper you'll see them.

Edited by Fritz442

Excellent information!  Thanks so much @Fritz442!

loving this software.  :) Buck is too. He created a funny one and now he is working on a serious one.  It's every bit as fun making games as it is playing them.  A very different experience from the old Asgard one---which I used and loved.... but this one is so much more intuitive and head and shoulders faster.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MikeV said:

Has anyone worked out a way to include Adventure files or TOD files on the FinalGrom for quick access? It does not appear to have been done, or just as likely, I'm not seeing it. Thanks. MikeV.

no as the finalgrom does not do disk or other devices only cartridge

On 12/16/2019 at 3:35 PM, Fritz442 said:

No checkbox, just set the time to '0'  :woozy:

Owen: "One more:  Do the monster numbers (ID numbers) correspond in some way to the frequency they are encountered or the level on which they spawn?"

It's more the level they will appear...the higher the # the deeper you'll see them.

As a slight refinement to this thread it could be added that the Quest game takes the first 20 'monsters' (5 groups of 4 based upon experience) and uses them to populate the first floor. From that point on it drops the first group of 4 and adds the next for each additional floor. If you do this 9 times (floors 2-10) you rotate in 36 monsters, + initial 20 = 56 total. By keeping this in mind you can calculate the range of floors a monster can possibly make its appearance. E.g. the first 4 will only appear on Floor #1, etc. Alternately, you can have a monster appear more than once in the list, e.g. Spider's in Quest, thus causing it to possibly be there from beginning to end. Hope this helps.

Hey Mike,

Glad you like the editor,  If your asking about the quest items...I found the unused area in the file

and colorized three unused blocks of 64b and that's where I added the other 6 quest item images.

Between these and the unused original blocks of color, I created the backgrounds for the images.

<---- They are setup just like the original 'Rainbow Orb'(4 diff. colors) in different block areas. :thumbsup:

Edited by Fritz442
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fritz442 said:

Hey Mike,

Glad you like the editor,  If your asking about the quest items...I found the unused area in the file

and colorized three unused blocks of 64b and that's where I added the other 6 quest item images.

Between these and the unused original blocks of color, I created the backgrounds for the images.

<---- They are setup just like the original 'Rainbow Orb'(4 diff. colors) in different block areas. :thumbsup:

Yes, it is really a significant improvement. I do not think this could ever have been done on the original TI due to memory limitations.

If I understand you correctly there are no options for altering the FG/ BG colors of items in general? Is this due to the complexity of the undertaking? You appear to be working backwards from an items Char Codes to rewrite the same memory locations, hence always the same colors. Very ingenious actually, but this limits a designer's options.

If you are looking to add more capability (next update of program) let me know. Thank you.

MikeV.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:26 AM, MikeV said:

Yes, it is really a significant improvement. I do not think this could ever have been done on the original TI due to memory limitations.

If I understand you correctly there are no options for altering the FG/ BG colors of items in general? Is this due to the complexity of the undertaking? You appear to be working backwards from an items Char Codes to rewrite the same memory locations, hence always the same colors. Very ingenious actually, but this limits a designer's options.

If you are looking to add more capability (next update of program) let me know. Thank you.

MikeV.

No, there is no option to change the background colors as I was trying to make it backward compatible

with all known TOD games at the time, and add the ability to have up to 8 colored quest images to use.

I will get with you if I attempt a major update. Thanks.  :thumbsup:

On 12/23/2019 at 7:46 PM, Fritz442 said:

No, there is no option to change the background colors as I was trying to make it backward compatible

with all known TOD games at the time, and add the ability to have up to 8 colored quest images to use.

I will get with you if I attempt a major update. Thanks.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for note, will send a pdf.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, navajas said:

Anyone know how Weapon Availability works? In QUEST it lets you use it up to 8 times! I thought it just let you buy the next store's goods at the previous store upon first use.

I know this is over a year old, but I don't see an answer here yet.

Weapon Availability allows you to use a one time only weapon more than once per fight.

Example: if you use Warball and Chain during a fight, the next time that character's turn comes up it'll say "you are using your hands", but if Weapon Availability is cast, the character can you the Warball and chain a second time during the same fight.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gilbyph said:

I know this is over a year old, but I don't see an answer here yet.

Weapon Availability allows you to use a one time only weapon more than once per fight.

Example: if you use Warball and Chain during a fight, the next time that character's turn comes up it'll say "you are using your hands", but if Weapon Availability is cast, the character can you the Warball and chain a second time during the same fight.

So that's what it does. I thought it let classes use weapons normally not available to them, such as a wizard using a sword, etc. 

• Like 1