IGNORED

Poll: Floppy disk controller

mizapf

What floppy disk controllers are you currently using? I actually did not expect that the original TI disk controller is still in use, given the lot of alternatives.

Edit: OK, that Poll post obviously failed...

I typed in all options in "Manage topic poll", but the poll does not show up here ... ? What am I missing?

Edited by mizapf

Before you continue showing your configurations, maybe we should set up the poll which I failed to do.

1. What controller are you using in your current system? (Multiple choices valid, as you may have more than one system.)

• TI Floppy Disk Controller SD
  • TI Floppy Disk Controller DD (rare)
  • Atronic Floppy Disk Controller DD
  • CorComp Floppy Disk Controller DD
  • Myarc Floppy Disk Controller DDCC
  • Myarc Hard and Floppy Disk Controller HFDC
  • SNUG BwG Controller DD
  • Hexbus Floppy Controller/Drive
  • Sidecar (99/4) Floppy Disk Controller
  • Other

2. Modifications

• High density
  • 80 tracks
  • Like 1

When the Myarc Clone comes out, it will probably be 'the end of the line' for me. I'd like a SCSI controller or a HFDC, but they are just too rare and pricey for me.

yes tooooo rare, that´s the problem

I forgot my Atronic-Controller (in the CPS-99), or was there a lonely controller for the PEB ?

• Like 1

This is what I did, including pressing Finished, but neither the preview nor the actual posting had the voting options. Going to retry later...

[Edit: In the meantime let's continue to collect floppy controller options. CPS99 is a good point, I'll add that one.]

Edited by mizapf

I use various combinations of the following controllers in my main system, my repair system, and for performing Geneve OS regression testing:

• Myarc FDC w/80 track EPROM
  • Myarc HFDC w/high density 1.44MB upgrade
  • TI FDC (standard)
  • CorComp FDC (standard CC EPROM, no MG update)
  • CF7+ device (not in your poll but it is an important "floppy controller" for many here)

No, it seems as if I can't achieve setting up a vote poll.

• Clicked on Manage Topic Poll
  • Added a title, a question, and two options
  • Clicked on "Finished"
  • Setup window disappears
  • Nothing has changed; looks as if nothing has been entered. However, when clicking on "Manage topic poll" again, all entries are still there.
  • Preview Post does not show any poll either.

Do I have to be a subscriber to be allowed to start a poll?

• Like 1

No, it seems as if I can't achieve setting up a vote poll.

• Clicked on Manage Topic Poll
  • Added a title, a question, and two options
  • Clicked on "Finished"
  • Setup window disappears
  • Nothing has changed; looks as if nothing has been entered. However, when clicking on "Manage topic poll" again, all entries are still there.
  • Preview Post does not show any poll either.

Do I have to be a subscriber to be allowed to start a poll?

nö, geht :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238979-testomania-pollution-test-poll/

just fill out like a new topic (this is the noral topic with the first thread of the new poll then)

then click on the upper right to the poll-button and fill out. This contains the questions and the sub-title

Edited by schmitzi
  • Like 1

Stock TI Disk Controller SD for me, too. That and the CF7 is all I have for disk at the moment.

Ditto. I'm not counting the IDE card though.

I would love to upgrade to DSDD, but these controllers are hard to come by and rather pricey. Perhaps we should look into reverse engineering the Corcomp card?

Is it possible to use the Commodore 64 1541 External Floppy Disk Drives with the TI? They have a proprietary cable but I was curious if this can be modified in any way for the TI.

It is not impossible, but would require an interface to speak Commodore's proprietary IEC (serial IEEE-488) protocol, and a DSR to understand Commodore DOS filesystem.

There are several for Linux, DOS, and Windows using the various X1541, XE1541, XM1541, etc. cables via the parallel port, or the XU1541 which is USB.

EDIT: For that matter, is there a practical purpose for this? Were I so inclined with resources and ability I would not mind attempting a project like this. One thing to note is that the two systems are not interchangeable, in so far as disk format. The Commodore uses GCR (group code recording) while the TI uses industry-standard FM and MFM, though utilizing a different sector size and filesystem. It would actually be somewhat easier to program the 1571 to read TI disks as the hardware to read FM and MFM already exists there, but there is no GCR-capable hardware in the TI.