IGNORED

Best MAME FrontEnd 2015

TI-GAMER

Hello,

I am just getting back into MAME with an absence of almost 7 years and I am finding a heck of a time getting recommendations for the Best FrontEnd that is currently available on a Windows machine.

Do you have any advice or recommendations on which Graphical Front End is the preferred or in your opinion the Best out there at the moment for a Dedicated Windows Machine that its sole purpose is setup in an Arcade Cabinet to only play Arcade Games?

Thanks

Edited by TI-GAMER

MAME 0.162 just came out and with it the unification MAME/MESS so that could change the balance and how front ends will evolve.

Some will keep Arcade only, some will keep Computers only, some will start having both ... it will be interesting .... some "arcade" cabinets will eventually have to integrate a keyboard (or allow a BT one) for the "occasional" home computer game ;-)

Edited by phoenixdownita

Kymaera is the only one I use. It's quick and easy to setup and you can make it look as pretty or dull as you like.

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out and see if I like it.

I had a few people tell me to try the HYPERSPIN FrontEnd also. Are you familiar with it?

Thanks for the advice. I will check it out and see if I like it.

I had a few people tell me to try the HYPERSPIN FrontEnd also. Are you familiar with it?

The name doesn't sound familiar. I tried a handful of front ends by doing installs on my laptop and by the time I got to Kymaera I found it super easy to configure.

I have Kymaera running on 3 MAME cabinets and I did a quick and dirty install where the front end just displays a text listing of the games available. You can get fancy with it and add artwork but that was just overkill for me. I wanted something to get me up and running fast so I could get to the important stuff: gaming.

Here's the link: http://kymaera.sourceforge.net/

And if you look at the screenshots you can see what it is capable of. But, just to have a text listing was good enough for me.

From the looks of it, Kymaera has not been updated for 10+ years. Does it work fine with current versions of Mame?

It does look easy to use and I do like the fact that you can get a little detailed with graphics and etc. yet keeping it simple.

I can only tell you that I use Kymaera with a real old version of MAME (I run it because it lacks the nag screens found in newer versions of MAME) and with WolfMAME .106 that TG standardized on and it runs like a champ.

I would just say try it out and see what happens. You won't spend much time testing it because it's easy to get up and running. Refer to the documentation but the gist of it is you point it to your MAME exe and dirs then you import a file that runs against the ROMs you have installed to create the game listing. I think generating the game listing is probably the make or break factor for you. All the games I run are older than dirt so it's not a problem for me. I don't know that it matters how new your MAME is as it appears to just launch an exe.

So, if you try it let me know how you make out.

Hyperspin is awesome.. but prepare for a lot of work to make it "nice" unless you download a pre-configured set (which I did and it comes out to over 200+ gigs rar'd).

That said.. if you're just looking for a simple front end, isn't MameUI (formerly known as Mame32) still around?? Did you not like that one? :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not easy for me. I use a PC, but it's not dedicated.

To an extent all frontends are the same, so you're just down to cosmetic issues. However, there are two features I consider a just - an AUTOFIRE option (I'm too old for button mashing!) and Video FX, which smooth out graphics visually. I have tried MESS half a dozen times, and have yet to be able to get it to do anything.

So - for me it's down to MAMEUI and IV/PLAY. MAMEUI doesn't have the video FX, but has autofire. IV/PLAY has both video FX and autofire - but the interface hates the XBox controller I use (random scrolling in the selection screen).

I have appraised the games I play and it turns out I could be using MAME .95. :D But I really only play the early games.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Mala. You can check it out at Malafe.net. I just got started into MAME/MESS and am building a cabinet. I use GroovyUME v 0.155 and Mala works fine with it. If you have decent photoshop/illustrator skills, it is also very easy to customize the look of the frontend to your liking.

Over at build your own arcade controls forums, it seems to me that if users are not using hyperspin, they're using mala.

Are you part of the QMC2 project then? If so in what capacity?

Yes. I'm responsible for the OS X builds.

QMC2 0.53 was released this afternoon. Source code is immediately available and binaries will be posted on the main site (http://qmc2.arcadehits.net) shortly. As always, OS X binaries can be obtained from my web server - http://goldensdomain.com/qmc2

Edited by goldenegg