IGNORED

(EDIT) Found! Power supply for Sega Genesis model 1

guitarmas

I don't know much about the Genesis and its specifications. I'm reading that there are several versions of the Genesis that were made. Apparently there are two versions available with the "High Definition" written on it. I guess the non TMSS one has the better audio output. Is this accurate?

Edited by guitarmas

I would have to really look into the sounds of them. The non TMSS is basically a region free system. It is kind of like the lockout chip on the nes. TMSS = Trade Mark Security System. Basically if you have this system you can play anything.

As for the sound this one def. has the best according to this site, whether my other HD tmss unit has that chip I don't know.

"So if your Sega Genesis, when booting a game, does NOT display “Produced by or under license of Sega Enterprises Ltd.” you have a non-TMSS unit. That means it’s 100 percent guaranteed to be the best audio you will get from a non-modded Sega Genesis because those early models had a dedicated Yamaha FM chip. Really wonderful stuff." - See more at: http://straypixels.tumblr.com/post/7768359272/not-all-sega-genesis-were-made-equal#sthash.lMIkgQSz.dpuf

"So if your Sega Genesis, when booting a game, does NOT display “Produced by or under license of Sega Enterprises Ltd.” you have a non-TMSS unit. That means it’s 100 percent guaranteed to be the best audio you will get from a non-modded Sega Genesis because those early models had a dedicated Yamaha FM chip. Really wonderful stuff." - See more at: http://straypixels.tumblr.com/post/7768359272/not-all-sega-genesis-were-made-equal#sthash.lMIkgQSz.dpuf

Well... maybe. :)

According to the guide posted over at Sega-16.com, if you have a "high definition graphics" model, you will have great sound, regardless of whether it has TMSS. Some revisions of the non-TMSS consoles actually have the same audio circuits as the one "high-definition graphics" revision with TMSS. Which revision sounds "best" may depend on your tastes.

Also, the "high definition graphics" consoles with TMSS have "slightly" better composite video, though reportedly the non-TMSS systems can have their video improved with new capacitors. RGB video, or any video connection that relies on the RGB outputs like the S-Video adapter made by Micomsoft, is the same across all revisions.

Perhaps a better way to describe it -- and offend the grammar nazis in the process -- is that it's a gamble between "bestest" audio and "bestest" video. Regardless of what you actually get under the hood, owning a "high definition graphics" console is still going to get you better audio and video combined than any other Genesis model.

Perhaps a better way to describe it -- and offend the grammar nazis in the process -- is that it's a gamble between "bestest" audio and "bestest" video. Regardless of what you actually get under the hood, owning a "high definition graphics" console is still going to get you better audio and video combined than any other Genesis model.

That's good to hear. :)