IGNORED

Eye of the Beholder on eBay . . . . only $10,000

MacRorie

• 2 weeks later...

I've thought long and hard about this - here it is. This shouldn't stop anyone wanting to buy one of Erics carts should he do another run - since you really need the save RAM / EEPROM to go with the game. ie. In Handy you can use save states to progress etc, but on actual hardware you cannot save. It shouldn't affect 2nd hand value of other repros either really. I still have my repro and it was worth every penny of the £150 I paid.

Full release of EOTB.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brta3lpvhx83lku/EOTB.zip?dl=0

• Like 5

Yeah, some people might get stressed that their cart will devalue - it's not going to devalue since people really want to play it on an actual Lynx with save support. If it didn't have save support I probably wouldn't have. Eric was going to release it if I didn't.

• Like 1

I don't think it deserves to be on such a list. It was never released, the copies sold are technically bootlegs. None of them has a collector's value. The only value is in being able to play the game.

I find it good that GadgetUK released the ROM now. I was one of the lucky guys who got a copy from Eric's original print run, but I don't mind one bit. :)

I don't think it deserves to be on such a list. It was never released, the copies sold are technically bootlegs. None of them has a collector's value. The only value is in being able to play the game.

I find it good that GadgetUK released the ROM now. I was one of the lucky guys who got a copy from Eric's original print run, but I don't mind one bit. :)

In addition it didn't sell at the £10K price tag. If someone asks a ridiculous amount for an item it doesn't mean it is worth that much. It's worth what someone is willing to pay.

I'd sell my NES for $10,000. It's got several "enhancements." Any takers?

Powerpak audio mod with real 10k volume pot and deluxe red knob.

Bright Blue Power LED.

Blinky Light Win cart loading tray.

CopyNES.

Heck I'll even throw in a fully loaded PowerPak for free.

And a giant controller.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/72157629736738048/

Somebody's got to want this. It's one of a kind. Rare doesn't even begin to describe it.

Maybe toss in my $800 mountain bike too. I can buy a new one.

Edited by stardust4ever

I will not post a link! You will have to find it yourself.

... you'll have to make do with the tip that it is on this page, just a couple of posts above. ;)

Hehe, was reading on my phone, so only looked up at the last post or so, missed GadgetUK's link!

GadgetUK,

Thanks for releasing the rom in public.

It should not devaluate the value of the original release.

I quite honestly don't understand why other games are still not released to the public.

I understand that developers want some payback for their work but here are some arguments why roms should be released in some cases.

If the game is is more the 5 years old, I think it would be fair to release the rom. Collectors still would pay the real cart after that period and the casual gamers not would still enjoy the rom.

Same counts if a "final" run has been done and sold. If no more official versions are going to be made, in all fairness the rom should be released.

It has no use artificially keeping prices up for something that will have it's rom dumped and published sooner or later. Might as well immediately publish it.

Releasing a rom should not mean that it will devaluate the official release. Like most things, copies are just worthless. And there are enough examples out there of games that have their roms released but still go for a lot of money.

Releasing the rom's of games with special functionality like eotb might spur people to add these functionalities to the emulators and improve them. Not everyone has the same ability to dump the roms.

Releasing a rom might even give more public attention to a certain game. Many people are willing to pay premium money for physical releases. Especially if it's a complete package with nice box, manual,...

This is just my opinion, but i don't understand why the Lynx community is so scared of rom releases.

Just realize that sooner or later the roms will be out there. Other platforms have more frequent rom releases but that also has to do with the attention of those platforms.

Anyways, just my 2 cents

I think it depends on the game. If it is no longer sold by anyone it probably should be released. But for games that will get another run - people may as well wait for a cart. EOTB really needs a cart anyway or you don't get saves. Eric might do another run and I'me sure it will sell out.

I've thought long and hard about this - here it is. This shouldn't stop anyone wanting to buy one of Erics carts should he do another run - since you really need the save RAM / EEPROM to go with the game. ie. In Handy you can use save states to progress etc, but on actual hardware you cannot save. It shouldn't affect 2nd hand value of other repros either really. I still have my repro and it was worth every penny of the £150 I paid.

Full release of EOTB.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brta3lpvhx83lku/EOTB.zip?dl=0

Why should I have to sign up for a drop box account to download? Anyone have a link that's not behind a login wall? :ponder:

I think it depends on the game. If it is no longer sold by anyone it probably should be released. But for games that will get another run - people may as well wait for a cart. EOTB really needs a cart anyway or you don't get saves. Eric might do another run and I'me sure it will sell out.

It won't "save" on emulator? :???:

Edited by stardust4ever

Why should I have to sign up for a drop box account to download? Anyone have a link that's not behind a login wall? :ponder:

It won't "save" on emulator? :???:

Should be able to download without an account. May have to just wait out and/or cancel away from that (I absolutely agree) annoying 'sign up for an account' business.

GadgetUK,

Thanks for releasing the rom in public.

It should not devaluate the value of the original release.

I quite honestly don't understand why other games are still not released to the public.

I understand that developers want some payback for their work but here are some arguments why roms should be released in some cases.

If the game is is more the 5 years old, I think it would be fair to release the rom. Collectors still would pay the real cart after that period and the casual gamers not would still enjoy the rom.

Same counts if a "final" run has been done and sold. If no more official versions are going to be made, in all fairness the rom should be released.

It has no use artificially keeping prices up for something that will have it's rom dumped and published sooner or later. Might as well immediately publish it.

Releasing a rom should not mean that it will devaluate the official release. Like most things, copies are just worthless. And there are enough examples out there of games that have their roms released but still go for a lot of money.

Releasing the rom's of games with special functionality like eotb might spur people to add these functionalities to the emulators and improve them. Not everyone has the same ability to dump the roms.

Releasing a rom might even give more public attention to a certain game. Many people are willing to pay premium money for physical releases. Especially if it's a complete package with nice box, manual,...

This is just my opinion, but i don't understand why the Lynx community is so scared of rom releases.

Just realize that sooner or later the roms will be out there. Other platforms have more frequent rom releases but that also has to do with the attention of those platforms.

Anyways, just my 2 cents

What gives you the Impression the Lynx community is scared of ROM Releases?

There are very few Lynx games not available as ROM.

As for official Releases not being devalued, the point is: EotB had no official release. It is a prototype that never made it to release. Eric DeLee already devalued the original prototypes from Atari that cost more than 1000 Dollars when he released around 80 reproductions. But again, that is not an official release either, it is a Repro, a bootleg or whatever you want to call it. The only value it has is not a collector's value so much, but it is based on not many people being able to play the game at all. And that was due to there being no ROM available.

Now the ROM is out there, and I am happy about it, the EotB cards we bought are nothing more than bootlegs of a game everyone can play. We just have the plus of being able to Play on real hardware.

I think the other important factor here is when games are still being produced (or reproduced in some cases) then obviously I wouldn't release the ROM. EOTB is a special case because it needs the save support to play on actual hardware, and the version here uses a different chip than the original repro did. If memory serves Sage did a modification to allow use of this other chip. There are other ROMs that could be released in years / decades to come but not whilst people are still actively selling them - for example the Song Bird and Telegames carts are still sold from respective websites. Maybe we should discuss which (if any) might be applicable. Maybe someone could mod the ROM again to use a modern EEPROM or something, the others could sell repros.

And for anyone thinking that ROM release devalues a limited number title, take a look at how it affects other consoles. Eg. All ISOs available for Saturn, yet rare original titles still sell for £200 or more. Same thing with the Neo Geo - Metal Slug is avail as ROM, and on multicarts and bootlegs, yet physical AES original sells for $2000 upwards!