IGNORED

Eye of the Beholder on eBay . . . . only $10,000

MacRorie

Oh wow, got here right in time. I actually got 2 copies of the repress and traded 1 already for some Atari Lynx goodies, never felt remorse about spending money on this gem. Thank god I didn't have to get a mortgage to afford it.

But indeed it always surprised me how it never got a ROM dump. Thing is, as long as its with the author's consent (eg. not hurting the homebrewers) I don't see any issues providing the ROM. I'm positive that the original programmers/designers of the EotB port are more happy to know its finally being played rather than catching dust.

I think the other important factor here is when games are still being produced (or reproduced in some cases) then obviously I wouldn't release the ROM. EOTB is a special case because it needs the save support to play on actual hardware, and the version here uses a different chip than the original repro did. If memory serves Sage did a modification to allow use of this other chip. There are other ROMs that could be released in years / decades to come but not whilst people are still actively selling them - for example the Song Bird and Telegames carts are still sold from respective websites. Maybe we should discuss which (if any) might be applicable. Maybe someone could mod the ROM again to use a modern EEPROM or something, the others could sell repros.

I wonder how many they sell and to who to be honest.

Don't think any regular gamers are still willing to pay 50/60$ just to play a game after all these years.

Sold out on good deal games...

http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Atari%20Lynx.html

I would love to own a T-tris though.

GDG never had it. They sold the rolling demo that consists of just a couple of screenshots.

That was the only one available before Eric's release.

Edited by 108 Stars

Interesting... at least it is no longer listed, while the other out of stock stuff is still visible. Sure it was GDG? I know some other Atari shop offered Repros around the same time Eric did, presumably because there was some kind of tension. I forgot that shop's Name though...

EDIT: Found it... the shop was Video61, there was a bit of controversy: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/175515-lynx-eye-of-the-beholder/

But maybe GDG sold it too, dunno.

Edited by 108 Stars

I have a copy of the 2005 release from Video 61. Is was a nice release. It came with a floppy disc that had level maps, manual and various other goodies on it. It came in a clear plastic clam case and didn't have the nice physical manual like Eric's though. At some point I'd love to get a copy of Eric's also.

I admit I am not a fan of the ROM release for a variety of reasons in not going to bother arguing about. But now that it's out there grab it up and enjoy! It's a great game!

Edited by MrBland

• 4 months later...

Phew! How exhausting sifting through all of that. Eric, if you're still out there and planning on releasing any more Eotb. I am very interested. I'm not willing at this point to pay $90 for Double Dragon (or $180 as it is called "double" dragon and I own two Lynx) but I am very excited to play Eotb on my original system, as the good lord intended... of which you are not as that Chris character stated. :lolblue:

Phew! How exhausting sifting through all of that. Eric, if you're still out there and planning on releasing any more Eotb. I am very interested. I'm not willing at this point to pay $90 for Double Dragon (or $180 as it is called "double" dragon and I own two Lynx) but I am very excited to play Eotb on my original system, as the good lord intended... of which you are not as that Chris character stated. :lolblue:

The ROM was released earlier on - just save support doesn't work with flashcarts yet.

The ROM was released earlier on - just save support doesn't work with flashcarts yet.

Please be patient with me, I'm rather new to all of this. By Rom I assume you mean the downloadable version meant to be used on the emulator and the flashcart. I read through so much yesterday. It was my understanding that you had released the ROM but Eric was working on an affordable/savable cart. Did the run he was releasing in 2010/11 ever come out? Seems a shame after all the drama if they hadn't. If I understood correctly from the video, you had one of his Betas? I am not internet savvy or tenacious enough to get the emulator to work. I'm afraid the flashcart would confuse me just as much. Every emulator/flashcart video I've watched starts off easy enough but it seems there ends up being allot of fiddling that most tech minded people take for granted.

Eric has been saying he's going to do another run for the last 2 years, but he did recently sell off his collection - kind of annoyed me that he didn't let me know, I would have paid him more than he got on eBay for some of the stuff. In any case, I suspect he might not do another run. If he does another run I would certainly like to buy one of his copies.