IGNORED

RockBall is Real, not vaporware! Here's what I have so far...

There is no sound in space, but it can be added easily!

RockBall.ATR

Select button for two players

Start button to play

option button during protection box startup selects rack number safely

tons of fun!

This is revision W 4/23/83 Major 12/27/2014 minor

May it bring hours of fun as I enjoy bringing it to you.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I was looking for the Atari sound effect editor it was not on the web in fact I found a site with all most utils but the actual 1982 Atari sound effect editor was the only thing missing, well guess what I found in my work?

The real ancient old Atari sound effect editor software, the precursor to the one used for all that famous stuff....

I will post it since it seems to exist nowhere as I searched the usual suspects for it and came up without it.

I am sure there are way better sound effect editors today..... but hey why not.... someone might just do something with it.

ATARISND.ATR

• Like 8

There is no sound in space, but it can be added easily!

attachicon.gifRockBall.ATR

Select button for two players

Start button to play

option button during protection box startup selects rack number safely

tons of fun!

This is revision W 4/23/83 Major 12/27/2014 minor

May it bring hours of fun as I enjoy bringing it to you.

So what is the story behind this? This was rumored to exist back in the day?

Allan

I was looking for the Atari sound effect editor it was not on the web in fact I found a site with all most utils but the actual 1982 Atari sound effect editor was the only thing missing, well guess what I found in my work?

The real ancient old Atari sound effect editor software, the precursor to the one used for all that famous stuff....

I will post it since it seems to exist nowhere as I searched the usual suspects for it and came up without it.

I am sure there are way better sound effect editors today..... but hey why not.... someone might just do something with it.

attachicon.gifATARISND.ATR

I guess this is the missing sound utility from Curt's site.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/sweat/

Thanks for posting this.

Allan

• Like 1

Yes Rockball was actually completed back in the day but like thirty some other fully completed projects they were forgotten during the Motorola induced destruction of Rocklan. I think all still exist from different offices that got sold off during the liquidation. Some one some place has more than they know... Rocklan did work for a large number of software companies.

The one I released is the best I can do with what I have and can remember... I am certain the final copy still exists and the main programmer mentioned he finished work on it in an interview, so this will back him up on that.

On a side note I have found the interview of

Anthony Weber

By Scott Stilphen
(2004)

He worked on RockBall and Gyruss it's on another retro site and another interview on that Press site. I have the pieces and parts of other titles he mentions.. He states he has originals of the work... According to Joe it can be given to the public.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

All of the games were suppose to initially work on the 800 and with the 5200 in mind.... eventually make their way to the Apple, TI, and the 2600 as well, at the time the 2600 was still very relevant! Rockball in theory would only ever have been allowed to have simple sounds from your own ship... in space you could never hear the rocks being destroyed (there is no air!) I often thought it should have digitized voice report Rocks destroyed or targets destroyed using one of the two methods that allow the screen to remain on and active... but where could we find the memory? with such constraining factors it wasn't to be done.... as time marches on I think Rockball Deluxe would have those things done.... same game with title, sounds and a few goodies sprinkled in....but still without explosion sounds from the rocks unless they run into you or you run into them....when you get destroyed is another story entirely

In any event here is the 5200 version, just a straight port with nothing extra. # is OPTION, * is SELECT and PAUSE is the space bar on the 5200 controller

Thanks to the generosity of our friend Paul at Playsoft here is Rockball conversion for the 5200.

rockball5200.zip

Merry Christmas,

_The Doctor__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 6

So the ideas are....

the pew pew pew your ship firing could be heard and direct collisions could be heard it's just the distant rocks would not be heard but closer ones might pelt you with debris so that could be heard ship board notification could say target hit for far rocks, thrusters for rotation and movement could be heard etc.

Edited by _The Doctor__

It is my decision as to what happens, I have ideas for a deluxe version.... and may or may not act upon it depending on my health and reception of what we do with this one and how it is received :) so far so good up till now...

Who knows what the future will bring... ?Who Knows!

The above in Baker like intonation,

_The Doctor__

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have recently discovered the final version of Rockball in cart form.  Once I have the special equipment required to dump the rom (it uses an eprom not easily read by some eprom programmers) I will be releasing this and a few other Roklan games for the Atari 800 over in the Prototypes forum.

3A8DC7B6-C487-4CAC-BFCD-C47779E95B11.jpeg

A1940D09-8D69-41BB-ABC0-91C380E0EE4D.jpeg

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

Don't know how I missed the big pictures of the cartridge... but I can verify this is the correct final version of Rockball. I personally would like to thank Dutchman for his offers to help get disks/carts/and other parts out. (for myself and others)

I had lost the fire to keep at this as failed drives, cards, keyboards have made it a real PITA.

If I can't get back on track I know who to send the rest of it to. ;)

• Like 1

Looks to be more on the way.

Really wish I could have made it to VCF. It just wasn't in the cards. I appreciated that.

It's uplifting to see what I think was a more interesting time in computing with all manner of people working and making so many wonderful and creative contributions in both hardware and software.

Of course the Atari version was better       :)        you know I had to!

• Like 1