IGNORED

Classic99 .TIDISK file conversion?

PeBo

At the risk of demonstrating my stupidity....

I just grabbed a PLATO interpreter cart figuring I had the full 481 courseware disks from the ftp.whtech_files CD, but when I went and looked at them, I noticed they are all in v9t9 format. (*.TIDISK)

I'm OK working with Classic99 .dsk files or TIFILES in Ti99dir, converting back and forth with ease. But while Ti99dir reads the volume information fine on these TIDISKs I can't figure a method to get these converted to .dsk format for use with a nanoPEB, and have no way to copy them to a real floppy. I'm sure it's something straightforward and I'm simply overthinking the problem, but I guess someone will have to walk me though this one.

Ahh senility...it would bother me if I could remember past 5 minutes ago.

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 1

At the risk of demonstrating my stupidity....

I just grabbed a PLATO interpreter cart figuring I had the full 481 courseware disks from the ftp.whtech_files CD, but when I went and looked at them, I noticed they are all in v9t9 format. (*.TIDISK)

I'm OK working with Classic99 .dsk files or TIFILES in Ti99dir, converting back and forth with ease. But while Ti99dir reads the volume information fine on these TIDISKs I can't figure a method to get these converted to .dsk format for use with a nanoPEB, and have no way to copy them to a real floppy. I'm sure it's something straightforward and I'm simply overthinking the problem, but I guess someone will have to walk me though this one.

Ahh senility...it would bother me if I could remember past 5 minutes ago.

If they are truly in V9t9 format, just rename them, i.e., change the TIDISK extension to DSK, e.g., rename DISKNAME.TIDisk to DISKNAME.dsk.

...lee

• Like 2

There is a possible problem with using the disk images with the nanoPEB because the nanoPEB wants 1600-sector (400 KiB) disk images. I know @mizapf suggested a way to use the original disk as a 1600-sector disk by changing the size in the VIB and marking the sector-use bitmap with all of the extra sectors as used. That would be tedious, but it might work. Most of the time, I just create a 1600-sector image for the nanaoPEB and copy files to it; but, with PLATO, the format is not the typical TI disk format IIRC, so it may require a bit more research to get it to work.

...lee

normally, if you transfer them with DSK2CF.exe to the CF-Card (in your PC) they are converted on the fly to the 400KB-format,

as landing on the CF

Here also a small to for copyinf from and to the CF.

just extract the 2 files in the subdir where CF2DSK and DSK2CF.exe resides

(small description inside the batch)

CF2-COPY-Batch-105M.zip

Thanks to all...thought it would just be changing the extension as Lee suggested, but ti99dir doesn't recognize them as .dsk OR TIFILES (I read somewhere that the header info is in kept in a non-standard location on these as a form of poor man's copy protection - not sure how true that is, but it seems likely that it's something like that)

Anyway, usually if ti99dir doesn't recognize something as a dsk file, neither does dsk2cf, so who knows if I will succeed.

If I have any success, I'll try your batch as well schmitzi.

Really have to get myself an HDX or HxC solution soon. The nanoPEB is a wonderful stop gap for mass-storage (+memory/rs232) solution, but I'm finding its inability to be used in tandem with real floppy drives to be right pain in the butt.

With all the infocom and scott adam's adventure tapes/disks converted to .dsk format (hell the whole scott adams collection fits on a single volume!!), I'm surprised no one ever worked on a solution to get these working

(of course maybe they did and I just don't know about it - which brings me here)

• Like 2

TIDISK files are just a raw sector dump, so if that is what you have (I'm a little confused by the thread), you don't need to do anything to use them with Classic99, either rename to .DSK or use them as-is without renaming. Classic99 doesn't look at the extension except as a user-helper, so it won't care.

If they are 1600 sector disk images from the CF card, I'm not sure what will happen. The Classic99 DSR will probably work (? not tested). The TI DSR will certainly not.

I don't think I've tested Plato, either. If they are using sector access or something like that they should still work...

TIDISK files are just a raw sector dump, so if that is what you have (I'm a little confused by the thread), you don't need to do anything to use them with Classic99, either rename to .DSK or use them as-is without renaming. Classic99 doesn't look at the extension except as a user-helper, so it won't care.

If they are 1600 sector disk images from the CF card, I'm not sure what will happen. The Classic99 DSR will probably work (? not tested). The TI DSR will certainly not.

I don't think I've tested Plato, either. If they are using sector access or something like that they should still work..

Well I have now tested it, and I am happy to say that although they are a major waste of space on a nanoPEB with it's 1600 sector volume size, they do indeed work mounted into a CF volume. Plato immediately recognized and identified the course when it was mounted into DSK1, and loaded it without problems (man, I still hate Fractions!)

My concern was not in regards to using them in Classic99...I was simply curious whether they would need some kind of conversion to .dsk format for use with the nano, since I had never seen the TIDisk extension before. I assumed incorrectly that this might be the case since TI99Dir would not allow me to see a directory of contents. (no doubt because of the special format)

Now I just need to find a product number to content guide, so I can figure our what each disk actually is. Come to think of it, I actually seem to remember that I actually posted a list myself a couple months ago. It's sad when you've become too old to know what you know... kind of a Donny Rumsfeld thing!)

But, as I said they work perfectly if someone else would like to load them up for their kids - they are, after all, excellent elementary and highschool courseware even by today's standards.

With over 480 courseware disks on the whtech CD though, it will be far more practical to install these on an HxC eventually where I can create disks of the original size. It WILL be an outstanding collection to have though, so until I grab a Lothrek device (purchasing a dozen DataBioTics games has put a major hole in my wallet for awhile), I might just pick up a 512MB CF card, and use it as a giant Plato repository.

Of course, the question is, do I really want to relive all those years of classes?? (At least this time I won't constantly be getting the strap for disrupting the class)

• Like 1

Great choice (both in what you're doing for your son, and the quality of this collection of courseware)

It covers Math, Reading and Grammar from (traditional) Grade 3 through 8, and Math, Reading, Writing, Science and Social Studies (last one might be a bit dated) from Grade 9 through 12.

These are not cutesy edu-game programs like the Scott Foresman series (which ARE wonderful for what they are), these are serious educational courses, that are still presented in a manner that can keep kids engaged (and, as someone mentioned elsewhere in these forums, without the endless distractions of using an internet era computer as a teaching tool).

And heck, they're pretty darned swell for teaching yourself just how much you've forgotten over the years (like how much you hated Algebra and Trig!)

As I said the entire 481 courseware disk series is readily available , and the interpreter is available though mdude on ebay in the $50-$60 range for a sealed set, which includes 2 Survey disks (DS) to help parents determine their child's progress. If you write to Mike, he may have an open box available cheaper (that's how I got mine).

Highly recommended, especially if you're giving your kids the gift of a home education.

• 4 years later...

Hi Gurus,

for a better handling, I am planning to batch-rename about 3.600 .TIDisk-files

that I can see in my directory structure, to use/rename them to .DSK

My exact plan is to rename them from  ´MyProg.TIDisk´  to  ´MyProg.TIDisk.DSK´

Doing it this way, the older, historically given name extension .TIDisk would be preserved for later knowledge/info...

especially for beeing representative if inside of any TIDisk-Collection.

So my question is, are there any concerns to go that route, maybe technical ones, or "ethical" ones ?

Maybe there are new findings about the compability between .DSK and .TIDisk ?

But I think, they both are exactly V9T9 format (not the .DSK/PC99 ones, of course)

I ask to prevent myself from a totally One-Klick-Disaster ;)

"If you are offended, change my mind" :grin:

xXx

5 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

But I think, they both are exactly V9T9 format (not the .DSK/PC99 ones, of course)

The "TIDisk" files seem to be normal sector dumps.

[...]

Edit: Thinking about it for some more minutes, I am not sure whether it is actually helpful to change the suffixes. What good is it for? We know that TIDisk is a sector dump like most DSK files (apart from the PC99 track dumps). However, if you change the suffix, emulators that rely on the TIDisk suffix will possibly become unable to read the file.

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, mizapf said:

The "TIDisk" files seem to be normal sector dumps.

[...]

Edit: Thinking about it for some more minutes, I am not sure whether it is actually helpful to change the suffixes. What good is it for? We know that TIDisk is a sector dump like most DSK files (apart from the PC99 track dumps). However, if you change the suffix, emulators that rely on the TIDisk suffix will possibly become unable to read the file.

Yes, but on the other hand, the .DSK-using emulators (that I use) cannot use the .TIDisks (is it?)

Hard to say, it´s some kind of religious question ;)

Have to think about.

thx

Classic99 doesn't care what the extension is, so you can happily use .TIDisk there. It might not show up by default if you browse, but you can change the type to All Files, or just type the path in manually.

I think only Win994a cares, doesn't it?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tursi said:

Classic99 doesn't care what the extension is, so you can happily use .TIDisk there. It might not show up by default if you browse, but you can change the type to All Files, or just type the path in manually.

I think only Win994a cares, doesn't it?

I am pretty sure you are correct.

...lee

• Like 3