IGNORED

DataSoft Spell Wizard ?

Ripdubski

Hopefully it is. I used the APE Pro system on the disks I had of it, which were Happy backups to begin with. I have never actually tried them myself. I did this back in 2003 it seems by the time stamp. I had water damage in the house a few years later and ended up getting rid of all my Atari hardware, disks, books, and even cartridges. The carts and disks were not damaged at all but I no longer had anything to plug them into. Had I known about ebay values for some OSS carts and the like, or that I would find this online community later, I would have held on to some more of what I could have.

I would be interested to know if that works, just as a matter of curiosity.

Sadly while it appears to function, there is something not quite right. Errant matches are identified, but not displayed correctly.

SE Ss Proof05Fail

I thought maybe it was the dictionary disk, but searching for correct words finds the match and displays it incorrectly as well. Im thinking the dictionary is ok since it finds words properly, but the code to display is bungled up. Here I searched for and found the word "correct":

SE Ss Search02Y

Edited by Ripdubski

You may have some problems getting this. I just looked at my original disk, and Spell Wizard is pretty heavily protected with lots of bad and missing sectors. Unfortunately, this is the type of protection that causes a PRO image to destroy a disk. An ATX image might be possible. If you're interested, do some research -- does one of the "unprotectors" (Chipmunk, etc.) have a patch for Spell Wizard? That should solve the problems.

-Larry

I must say I am a bit curious as to what's driving this quest to get some more spell checking working on the A8. Is there a personal connection with Spell Wizard? Do you have a goal to get an A8 setup that is capable of performing office productivity tasks just for the sake of doing it? Do you prefer to get your work done on an A8 vs. a modern computer? Inquiring minds want to know. :twisted:

I forgot a potential reason: for collection completion goals.

Edited by fujidude

You may have some problems getting this. I just looked at my original disk, and Spell Wizard is pretty heavily protected with lots of bad and missing sectors. Unfortunately, this is the type of protection that causes a PRO image to destroy a disk. An ATX image might be possible. If you're interested, do some research -- does one of the "unprotectors" (Chipmunk, etc.) have a patch for Spell Wizard? That should solve the problems.

-Larry

Does that mean that executing the PRO image will cause it to destroy itself, to the act of creating the PRO image destroys the source disk? Curious? The Chipmunk A disk linked by Stephen doesn't boot btw.

Well,

one can find Chipmunk e.g. at Mr Bacardi`s webpage:

http://mrbacardi.000space.com/

just click on "Tools" and scroll down a bit to find Chipmunk 3.04. Don`t know if it is the latest version...

Pigwa or better the Holmes collection at Pigwa also has Chipmunk 2.9 to 3.04 available:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes%20cd/Holmes%201/ATR%20Programs/Applications%20A-Z/index.html

scroll down to C...

Yes, Chipmunk A is just a blank, formatted disk image.

Anybody have the latest Chipmunk? It should have Spell Wizard in the index.

Bob

I don't remember Chipmunk. I have one lavender disk and it doesn't list Spell Wizard, closest is 'Spelunker'.

I do have Black Patch and it does have 'SPELL WIZZARD'. Is there another data disk for Chipmunk?

I just checked, there are four black patch .atr on ftp.pigwa.net, so I don't need to copy mine.

I believe the SPELL WIZZARD patch is on disk one of BP.

edit again:

Yes Chipmunk has 'Spell Wizard' on side two.

Edited by russg

How does one use Chipmunk?

You pick your original software from a list.

Then Chipmunk tells you to put in your original disk.

Chipmunk copies the disk and tells you to put in a formatted empty disk.

Chipmunk then writes out the copy using the crack of the original disk.

Now, you have a working, unprotected/cracked copy.

• Like 1

So I could take the PRO image, convert it to ATR (?), then run Chipmunk against the ATR? Or will this only work on the real deal? Is there a PRO to ATR conversion utility?

I don't think so. A PRO image is readable on a PRO interface from Atarimax using APE. This has been asked before, can you

use a PRO image to write a real disk. No, I think. You can't write bad sectors or the miriad of copy protection schemes on a

stock Atari disk drive, or an emulated drive.