IGNORED

ATR Files Created with Altirra Almost Work

pmgraphics

I have tried to create and format a disk (ATR file) using Altirra in various ways, but nothing has worked.

I can create and format an atr file using Atari800win Plus, and then use it in Altirra with no problems. I just cannot use Altirra to make the functioning atr file.

In Altirra, I have used the "Create a new disk" tool, selected a "disk format". Next, for file system I have tried unformatted and then formatted the new ATR file using a working DOS atr file, I have tried selecting a file system and then saving the disk (that didn't work), and I have tried taking the saved disk (new atr file) with a file system, created by Altirra, and then formatted it using a working DOS atr file (that did not work as well).

The only thing that worked to create a new disk (atr file) is to leave it set as VirtRW, and then format it and write dos files to it, using a working DOS atr file, and lastly save the disk. If I save the disk at anytime prior to formatting and writing dos files to it then the disk does not work.

Is the trick to creating a working ATR file with Altirra, you must leave it in VirtRW status until formatting and dos files are written to it, using a working dos ATR file?

Also I noticed the default when opening an ATR file the status is R/O thus no saving to the disk until you manually change it to R/W

Update: it almost worked. I was able to save a program, but when I reopened the emulator and attached the new formatted atr file that I saved the small program to, when I went to load the program, I get error 130, which is, "Specified device does not exist."

What it the trick to creating working ATR files in Altirra?

Thanks

I'm using v2.60. I think I got it figured out as long as I do the following steps.

Create an ATR File (a Disk)

• -Attach a DOS ATR file to D1, File -> Attach Disk -> D1
  • -Cold Reset system
  • -File -> Disk drives -> New disk ... for D2
  • -Select Disk Format and Filesystem
  • --Leave D2 as VirtRW
  • -Click OK
  • -Load DOS from D1
  • -Select the option to initialize or format the disk
  • -Type D2: <enter>
  • -Select the option to write DOS files (needed to use disk as D1)
  • -Type D2: <enter>
  • -Click File -> Disk drives -> Save disk ... for D2
  • -Click OK
  • -Exit DOS (select option to Run Cartridge)
  • -Detach all disks
  • -Cold Reset system
  • -Attach new ATR file (disk)
  • -Cold Reset system
  • -Check that disk is R/W: File -> Disk drives -> Change R/O to R/W

If I start Altirra with no disks attached and program something is BASIC, and then want to save it to disk, I'm stuck since the only way to get an active disk available is to attach a disk and do a cold reset, which then wipes the code from memory. Thus I have to be sure to always start the emulation with a working ATR file (disk). Maybe it was like this with the actual hardware. I can't recall. It's been too long.

I think I see a problem maybe. If you start Altirra with no disks, you had better have a cartridge based DOS (like SDX) or something. Altirra lets you create, and "format" with a file system a new .atr. But... without a DOS of some kind resident in memory, there is no way to create a save file on the disk.

If you do have a DOS in memory, you can save files to a disk even if it does not have any bootable DOS. So long as it has a viable file system that is compatible with the DOS type in memory.

Thanks.

I got my ATR creation steps refined to the following.

Create an ATR File (a Disk)
-Attach a DOS ATR file to D1, File -> Attach Disk -> D1
-Cold Reset system
-File -> Disk drives -> New disk... for D2
-Select Disk Format and Filesystem
-Click OK
-Click the arrow to select Save disk... for D2
-Click OK
-D2 is now usable to save files to it
-To use D2 independently, as D1, DOS files must be written to it
--if DOS2 files are added after the fact data saved on the disk is not erased
--if DOS3 files are added after the fact data saved on the disk will be erased