IGNORED

PS4 and the PSN

SoulBlazer

Forgive me if this was posted somewhere, I did a search and couldn't find anything on it.

With the recent announcement of Fallout 4 I decided it was finally time to think about getting a current console to replace my Xbox 360. I like the Xbox One a little better due to the controller and how it's a better media center, but the main draw of the PS4 to me was the PSN. I'd heard how Sony had put most of the older library on there for cheap and there's a ton of great games I played and loved for the PS1 and PS2 I'd very much like to download and play again...and the controller is still quite good.

I've heard some reports, though, that there are problems with the PS4 vs the PS3 when it comes to the PSN -- that you can't access the full store and play all the older Playstation games via download like you can with the PS3. I want full compatiability with the store and the games on it, otherwise there's no reason for me to go with the PS4. That's the main draw right there for me.

Can anyone confirm or deny this that has a PS4? Is there a difference in PSN access and use for the PS3 vs the PS4?

There is a difference between the PS4 store and the PS3 store.
There's a lot of variety on both stores, but only the PS3 has the majority access. (IE all the PSOne and PS2 classics)
PS4 store does get quite a bit on there, and they have their "PlayStation Now" deal going on... but that's basically a streaming/rental service with a huge assortment available.

If you were wanting the PS4 store purely for the classics section, you are out of luck there.

There is a difference between the PS4 store and the PS3 store.

There's a lot of variety on both stores, but only the PS3 has the majority access. (IE all the PSOne and PS2 classics)

PS4 store does get quite a bit on there, and they have their "PlayStation Now" deal going on... but that's basically a streaming/rental service with a huge assortment available.

If you were wanting the PS4 store purely for the classics section, you are out of luck there.

Thanks for the answer. That sucks, I don't understand why they did that! I was thinking if I was going to buy a modern game console I'd go with the PS4 for the classics section. Now I either have to get both a PS3 AND a Xbox One, or upgrade my PC in a serious way and still get the PS3. Boo hiss on Sony. Is it any wonder I haven't bought a Sony product since the PS2? :roll:

I honestly really love my PS3.
It has a HUGE amount of media access (I stream things all the time from my computer to it but USB also works well), what feels like one of the largest libraries (physically and digitally) of any system out, can play physical PlayStation 1 discs (also PS2 if you get an old one but those are dying out), free online play (no PS+ required for the PS3), and although the new titles are finally winding down... you can get a lot of the older titles for super cheap!

The PlayStation Network does a large number of sales. While not quite as good as Steam sales (Let's be honest. Nobody matches the shear discounts like Steam sales!), they happen fairly often and tend to have at least 2-3 good games at a great price.

I'd easily stand behind getting a PS3 right now, even with its age coming to an end.

Except for Wii U none of the consoles have backwards compatibility right now.

None of the new consoles will play anything from before unless its re-released for that console. (This includes Xbox One). You have to keep your Xbox 360 if you get an Xbox One.

If you want to play old Playstation games get a PS3...fairly cheap now. I have a PS3 and a PS4 and I also have the Xbox systems all hooked up too.

Sucks you cant play your old stuff but thats just how it is.

With the amount of remasters coming out for PS4, we'll probably have a good chunk of the PS3 library available in a year or two. Backwards compatibilty would be better, but at least there's a way to play my favorites again on PS4.

They just announced the Uncharted trilogy. :)

So there is going to be some 360 games recompiled for the Xbox One. Who knows if the Sony will do the same with PS3 games, but that it is what it will take since the architectures are so different..

Emulating PSone games would not be out of the question, and maybe PS2 games as well.

I have already bought a bunch for the PS3 though, and I have no interest in buying them again. Really doesn't matter... my PS3 isn't going anywhere unless it is being replaced by another.

I think Microsoft will have the same problem with backwards compatibility that Sony had with share-play. The publisher has to sign off on it otherwise MS won't enable the game. Since there's money to be made from remasters, I doubt many publishers will allow it. Then there's the problem of studios who've gone bankrupt and don't exist anymore. They could get around this by allowing the emulator to run code directly from disc, but the conference seemed to suggest that you had to download the game from Xbox servers (which may have tweeked code to smooth out problems in the emulation.

I expect PS Now will have to badly crash and burn before Sony even thinks of offering any kind of backwards compatibility.

Its ridiculous how they haven't put at least a ps1 emulator on the ps4... thing has plenty of horse power to emulate ps2 games as well.

There's this whole thing about PS Now streaming classics in the future instead of emulating, but what the f*** is that. What are they running in the back that can't be run on the system itself except for corporate greed..