IGNORED

Upgrade to XBox One Questions

SoulBlazer

Hey guys, I couldn't find a thread here covering all of this, so I'm hoping some users who had/have both a Xbox 360 and a Xbox One can help me out.

I'm thinking about upgrading to play some upcoming games like Fallout 4 but I have a number of questions:

1) Is there any backward compatiabilty on the Xbox one for 360 games?

2) Can I transfer over my profile from Xbox live over to the 360?

3) What about the games I bought in the marketplace over the years? Can I re-download those on the Xbox One?

4) Can I transfer over downloaded games and saves from my HD on my 360, or install the HD on it onto the Xbox One?

I'm really mostly trying to see if I need to keep a 360 around for my games and my downloaded stuff or if I can move all that over to the Xbox One.

You need to understand architecture, you can't shove a square peg into a round hole. The 360 runs on a completely different CPU and emulating that CPU with the new one is out of the question.

Get a PS4, the XB1 has an external power supply, it's big and loud. :P

The XB1 and PS4 both seem pretty quiet to me. Yeah the XB1 has a power brick, but it sits tucked away behind my TV stand just fine.

I would wait on buying a XB1 until after the E3 show. I have read that the internal HDD will be upgraded to 1TB (which is still small in my opinion) and the new controllers will have a standard headphone jack on them vs the plug in dongle thing they have now.

You need to understand architecture, you can't shove a square peg into a round hole. The 360 runs on a completely different CPU and emulating that CPU with the new one is out of the question.

Get a PS4, the XB1 has an external power supply, it's big and loud. :P

Yeah, but how much trouble would it to be let us play our bought downloaded copies of Galaga and Ms. Pac Man on the Xbox One? The data is on the XBL servers anyway.

Yeah, but how much trouble would it to be let us play our bought downloaded copies of Galaga and Ms. Pac Man on the Xbox One? The data is on the XBL servers anyway.

Doesn't matter where the data is, the games aren't coded to run on the (very different) XB1 hardware.

As noted, BC isn't something XB1/PS4 could realistically be expected to have so it's not a 'loss' from that perspective.

Both my XB1/PS4 are the same (close) distance to me and I don't really hear either one. I do prefer the XB1, but they are both pretty equal and very competent consoles.

• Like 1

If your Xbox One power supply is loud you have a bad power supply. If I put my ear right down to it I can barely hear the fan running in it. Otherwise with it behind my entertainment center I can't hear it or my Xbox One at all.

I love my XBO, but as others have said, hang on to your 360, too. I have a PS3 and a XBO, which makes for a nice combo.

I wasn't aware that the power supply on the xbox one even had a fan. I was hesitant to get one after having long running issues with the 360's head and noise but I was impressed with that aspect.

At this point I figured most of those classics would have some middleware go button that'd run on nearly any Windows OS through the engineering black arts of Redmond but that doesn't' seem to be so.

The only game I know of at the moment that has cross-buy support is Pinball FX2. Some of the tables you purchased on the 360 version will be made available to you free on the XBOX ONE, but not all have been ported over yet. You get the benefit of better textures, higher resolution, etc., for free. I wish more games did this.

I can't vouch for the PS4 as I haven't owned one yet, but my XB1 has been very quiet, much more so than the varying 360 systems I have owned over the years. External power brick, yes, but several systems have that. Hardly a deal breaker.

If your Xbox One power supply is loud you have a bad power supply. If I put my ear right down to it I can barely hear the fan running in it. Otherwise with it behind my entertainment center I can't hear it or my Xbox One at all.

Maybe it's different for me, since I all have is a devkit :?

Aside from the power supply, the two machines are practically identical, with some minor details better on one side and some minor details better on the other side. Nothing major though.

The power supply IS a huge monster other than that the Xhoneybuns is......ok. Unless your like me and need every system ever made don't buy both otherwise one will be your primary and the other will just sit around waiting for exclusives. Your fine just with an Xbox One if thats your meat...and never get rid of your old systems especially the 360.

I don't use my Xbox One that much but when I do I prefer the Trooper. Stay thirsty my friends.

trooper.JPG

• Like 1

I would wait on buying a XB1 until after the E3 show. I have read that the internal HDD will be upgraded to 1TB (which is still small in my opinion) and the new controllers will have a standard headphone jack on them vs the plug in dongle thing they have now.

The 1TB model is available next week.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Xbox-One-%20-Halo-The-Master-Chief-Collection-Bundle/productID.314225100?tduid=9e33db07abb58fceaff3ff93fb54c40b

• Like 1

Aside from the power supply, the two machines are practically identical, with some minor details better on one side and some minor details better on the other side. Nothing major though.

Agreed, the perceived HUGE differences are largely over massive fanboi hate/hype. Very equivalent for better or for worse, says me who has had both of the last Nth generations. :)

One other game that has a quasi cross-buy support is Minecraft, or at least it used to. If you purchased it on the Xbox 360 then you could get the One version for $5.

All of you purchased skins from the 360 also would be available in the One version for free.

If you still want to play your Xbox 360 games then you can hook it's HDMI cable to the X1's HDMI Input and select the Live TV tile. You still need to use the 360 controller to play those games but at least you can now use Snap apps along side them like any X1 game.

And some games let you move stuff from your 360 to X1 like Diablo III and Rock Band. It's not many though so you'll have to do research.

Edited by MrMaddog

While I have no personal experience with such a setup, I've read numerous reports that using the HDMI input on the XB1 to piggyback another console to it results in very noticeable input lag.

While I don't see any appeal in having two consoles powered up simultaneously, it's still a shame that it doesn't work better. If it were able to pass a signal through unmolested while the console is turned off in standby mode, it would be useful to simplify setups.

Doesn't matter where the data is, the games aren't coded to run on the (very different) XB1 hardware.

As noted, BC isn't something XB1/PS4 could realistically be expected to have so it's not a 'loss' from that perspective.

Both my XB1/PS4 are the same (close) distance to me and I don't really hear either one. I do prefer the XB1, but they are both pretty equal and very competent consoles.

It's a shame that they didn't try a unique approach to resolve this.

I'd of liked to have seen Sony and Microsoft offer backwards compatibility modules. For say $100, you'd get an add-on module that piggybacks via a cable to the main console, with all the critical components necessary to run said software. You'd use the main console's controller, the existing disc drive, the existing hard drive, etc.

Beyond the proprietary connector, possibly a more powerful power supply, and some minor R&D expense like a more complicated system OS to accommodate this option, it wouldn't push that sizable cost on to everyone. Yet the significant percentage that would appreciate this option, would have the ability to upgrade their next gen console and have a fully integrated experience (Or at least one that allows you to flip back and forth on the fly).

And while I haven't seen more than a handful that expressed this thought, I think it's a shame that the 360's HD-DVD drive at the very least isn't supported by the Xbox One. While releases are long dead, there's nothing obsolescent about the HD-DVD experience.

The ability for existing users to carry that accessory forward and enjoy their HD-DVD content on their Xbox One, would've been nice to see.

Edited by Atariboy

If you still want to play your Xbox 360 games then you can hook it's HDMI cable to the X1's HDMI Input and select the Live TV tile. You still need to use the 360 controller to play those games but at least you can now use Snap apps along side them like any X1 game.

It's an option, but not a very good one. I did this for a while and the lag was pretty much unbearable. Games are still playable, but it's definitely not the ideal way to do it. It's a shame it doesn't work like you would hope, but I suppose it was primarily designed with television in mind.

Great news....love that things are starting to focus back on gaming and with that RARE collection and backwards compatability its good times ahead. I signed up for the Windows 10 release upgrade next month or so and I've been messing with the beta this year at work so I'm curious to see how much of it will tie together on release. Glad things are changing at MS....been a while for me since I've felt this way......I was really harsh on these guys at E3 years back. This is all great news.

Very surprised to see the BC announcement...

Yes, if that works properly, it's some serious coding wizardry. Emulating the CPU in the 360 is no joke. :-o

EDIT: Rough calculations on CPU specs reveal this is not possible, unless you want to play games running at 1fps.

• Like 1

I just read the details, it's not BC, they recompile the games for the XB1. :lol: :roll:

EDIT:

"Today during Microsoft's E3 press conference, Xbox head Phil Spencer confirmed Xbox One will support backward compatibility with over 100 select Xbox 360 games by this holiday season.

Digitally purchased games will start showing up automatically in your game library. Retail Xbox 360 disks won't work natively with the Xbox One, but will initiate a download of an Xbox One-compatible version when inserted. During the announcement, the Xbox 360 version of the original Mass Effect was shown running on the Xbox One."