walaber

A game about old-school ASM programming

I thought some members on this forum might not know about this and find it interesting. Zachtronics (creator of many super interesting PC puzzle games) has just released a new puzzle game called "TIS-100", which is all about solving puzzles through ASM programming on a made-up 80's computer system. As you play through the game you learn about the computer and who build it (and why).

Here's the trailer for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkUHGvy2pNU

here's how they describe the game:

TIS-100 is an open-ended programming game by Zachtronics, the creators of SpaceChem and Infinifactory, in which you rewrite corrupted code segments to repair the TIS-100 and unlock its secrets. It’s the assembly language programming game you never asked for!

It even comes with a 14-page PDF manual that you're meant to print out and use as reference while you code your solutions to the puzzles :)

CGtpLxSVAAA5sv9.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that looks really cool, especially given I'm investigating old school assembly language programming myself. Thanks for sharing!

I'm not entirely sure about game dev in assembly, but I do know that rollercoaster tycoon was made in assembly except for the parts to interface with windows and directx. My guess would be that you have to do something along those lines.

Alternatively, make a game using ascii art?

Oh yes this game is neat, played it all the way to the end. The parallel architecture with communicating, very limited nodes is quite interesting, and decidedly different from run-of-the-mill assembly programming.