IGNORED

HSC12 Round 9: Zeppelin & Bonus Embargo

Zeppelin

zeppelin.png

Possibly the only game harder than Ramp Rage?! Luckily it's fun. I think there are a lot of buggy versions out there, my notes from last time we played "Check versions re Xl/800 issues" so please report what you find. Probably best to use one of the ATR versions if you can. Try the one on the vjetnam archive - not the cheat version! or one from the many on the superb atarionline.pl :) [The Jolly Roger Version is allowed see here for info]

Scoring level reached will count, you start on level 7 and work your way down to 1

Play on Novice (default)

Hint: If you get hit, use the few seconds of 'invincible time' to get across the screen to safety.
Info Collect the keys and carry them to the locks, collect other items take them places, shoot the switches to affect your routes, destroy stuff. Full Instructions on atarimania.

Spoiler: You get the burger thing and take it to the big door, then get the TNT and take it to near the plunger and kaboom!

More Hints. Even more Hints.

Bonus Points Great game and fun to play with a mate on stick 2 who can do the firing while you steer! 1pt bonus for anyone who does this or for setting the new HSC record [76,880 trbb] ;)

Multijoy players checkout the new M4 version by fandal and report back.

Bonus Game Suggestions for a suitable bonus game welcome, it must feature an airship (no not Pole Position!), bet there are a few lurking (no you can't have any from Zeppelin games neither)!

EMBARGO

embargo.png

took me about an hour to find this, I knew it was somewhere but couldn't remeber the name. Fun game as I remember. They're airships right? Close enough!

Fandal XEX Atarimania Info

Round ends Tuesday 23rd June 5pm UK time (then we'll try and get back to Sundays)

Everyone welcome to play

Game On!

Edited by therealbountybob
Zep: Scoring based on level reached. Bonus game added. Zeppelin Level Selection Cheat Allowed. More Hints Linked

16650 here, after a couple of gos.

I also used the vjetnam (non cheat) version. But (and his is what I remember), when I start a game it says 'entering level 7' - how did you get to level 6 McKong?

So far I haven't encountered any bugs on my 1200 XL running XL/XE Rev B (I have a multi DOS mod courtesy of Stephen Tucker installed, so that I can easily switch OSs if I need the ole' OS-B for something :) )

I'm going to try one of the atarionline.pl ones next, just to see if I can start at level 1. That vjetnam one has the letter 'k' on screen when you're loading, which I think maens someone made the atr from an xex image. I'm hoping the atarionline.pl atr versions are a little different (though i do see they have a k version too)

Edited by 8BIT 1337

16650 here, after a couple of gos.

I also used the vjetnam (non cheat) version. But (and his is what I remember), when I start a game it says 'entering level 7' - how did you get to level 6 McKong?

So far I haven't encountered any bugs on my 1200 XL running XL/XE Rev B (I have a multi DOS mod courtesy of Stephen Tucker installed, so that I can easily switch OSs if I need the ole' OS-B for something :) )

I'm going to try one of the atarionline.pl ones next, just to see if I can start at level 1. That vjetnam one has the letter 'k' on screen when you're loading, which I think maens someone made the atr from an xex image. I'm hoping the atarionline.pl atr versions are a little different (though i do see they have a k version too)

As far as I know the game starts at level 7 by design, the second level is then 6. I could be wrong though I don't remember the game that well

As far as I know the game starts at level 7 by design, the second level is then 6. I could be wrong though I don't remember the game that well

LOL - and here I've thought I had a buggy version all this time! It never occurred to me you'd start at level 7 and then work your way to level 1. :dunce:

Suggestions for a suitable bonus game welcome, it must feature an airship

The only game that I can think of that springs to mind with an airship is "Murder on the Zinderneuf" by Electronic Arts. I've never played it, but I've heard good things about it:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-murder-on-the-zinderneuf_3609.html

Blimps and zeppelins move slowly, so they aren't exactly best suited for action games. I never would have thought of "Pole Position!" Any others? I'd love to play a blimp/zeppelin BASIC game, if someone can dig one up.

Are we supposed to play on NOVICE level? If so, here's my pitiful score...

Zeppelin - 940

I think you've answered that question! I've added a small hint and some more info to the first post.

I think the game screws up later into the game (hopefully not) as it can take a long time to get down through the levels

Never played Rampage much, I think I remember another blimp in a game that is not on any of the databases will see if I can find it on my disks. Aquatron has one of course too but it's too big for a bonus game :)

Hangman, hangman, hold it a little while,
I think I see my friends coming, Riding many a mile.
Friends, did you get some silver?
Did you get a little gold?
What did you bring me, my dear friends, To keep me from the Gallows Pole?
What did you bring me to keep me from the Gallows Pole?

I couldn't get no silver, I couldn't get no gold,
You know that we're too damn poor to keep you from the Gallows Pole.
Hangman, hangman, hold it a little while,
I think I see my brother coming, riding many a mile.
Brother, did you get me some silver?
Did you get a little gold?
What did you bring me, my brother, to keep me from the Gallows Pole?

post-22103-0-00797500-1434136994_thumb.png

• Like 1

Apparently there's a blimp in Rampage? Is the A8-bit version any good?

There is a blimp in the arcade version of "Rampage," (I typed "Ramp Rage first! Ha!). It's how you're character is returned to a stage. I don't think that you interact with it (other than being dropped from it). So, it's like the blimp in Pole Position; it's there, but not a noteworthy addition to the game.

• Like 1

I think there are a lot of buggy versions out there

This game seems to have been extremely popular. How come AtariMania, or some other archive, doesn't have an original disk image of it? It's not rare, is it? If someone has an original disk, then maybe we can work on getting it dumped for AtariMania. It really strikes me as strange that we'll possibly all be playing different versions of this game this round.

There is a blimp in the arcade version of "Rampage," (I typed "Ramp Rage first! Ha!). It's how you're character is returned to a stage. I don't think that you interact with it (other than being dropped from it). So, it's like the blimp in Pole Position; it's there, but not a noteworthy addition to the game.

Fear not Atarians Ramp Rage v1.2 is still being assembled (again) as bluecat wanted easier even easier :twisted: so juggling a few bytes around.

This game seems to have been extremely popular. How come AtariMania, or some other archive, doesn't have an original disk image of it? It's not rare, is it? If someone has an original disk, then maybe we can work on getting it dumped for AtariMania. It really strikes me as strange that we'll possibly all be playing different versions of this game this round.

I think the only issue is that anone who gets deep into the game will be right cheesed off when it locks up on stage 3 or something!

A8 Blimp List so far...

Pole Position - brings the messages

Murder on the Zinderneuf - you're abord it; sort of graphical whoodunnit "cluedo"

Rampage - intermission moves player

Aquatron - your base ship? can be shot!

and the one I think I have on multiboot that I will dig out tomorrow (bet I'm wrong and it's something else like a plane, crab or flying teapot) :-D

Any others :?:

This must be quote of the week

"I had a huge stock pile of zeppelins left but burned through them pretty fast."

:thumbsup:

First Tables

Season 12 Current Standings UPDATED (from Ramp Rage)

p.s. vjetnam ATR locked up on my first go (130XE/1050) will try next one from atarionline.pl! - "Zeppelin (1983)(Synapse Software)(US)[a].atr" looks ok so far

Edited by therealbountybob