IGNORED

All In One?

Classic all-in-ones are some of my favorite types of classic computers (they always make me feel like I'm using a "real" computer, i.e., how a computer should look), although many of the larger ones are a terrible pain to move around. I have quite a few, including various TRS-80s, an IBM 5155, various CP/M machines, a Zenith Z-100, SX-64, various PETs, HP-85, etc. Of course, a few of the all-in-one videogame consoles I have are also neat, like the Vectrex and Videopac G7200.

Again, though, unless these things are suitcase style and preferably have an additional video output, having one of the true desktop behemoths is really kind of a pain, particularly when you have multiple ones. Naturally there are more points of technical failure too, so there's that.

I cannot find a PET for under $500. Crazy... there were millions of them everywhere back in the day.

Which one? I have three PETs, one a 2001-8 with the original keyboard, and two SuperPETs, albeit one missing the second CPU (so it's like having an 8000-series PET). I'd be willing to sell the latter for well under $500, but it would be a bear to ship.

Are there games on the PET?

Plenty, ranging from individuals to major third party publishers (there are even homebrews produced today). While many were text-based or used PETSCII graphics, the full spectrum of game genres can be found on the PET series, albeit in relatively primitive forms indicative of late 70s/very early 80s games.

2001 with tape recorder is the one I wanted.

Yeah, those are incredibly tough to find these days and incredibly expensive, even when partially working. Mine works well with the keyboard in reasonably good shape, although the tape drive doesn't work properly.