IGNORED

Custom boxes

saffron1

Thanks mate, my printer can print up to 300gsm, so when I get some time I will do a couple up and post some piccies.

Cheers

I have the template Duranik used. Its a whole sheet they used for printing. You will have to mess around with it to get sizes right.

I'm trying to do this via my phone, hope you get the file

Rgds

BadPricey

Thanks mate, my printer can print up to 300gsm, so when I get some time I will do a couple up and post some piccies.

Cheers

I have the template Duranik used. Its a whole sheet they used for printing. You will have to mess around with it to get sizes right.

I'm trying to do this via my phone, hope you get the file

Rgds

BadPricey

Hi,

As promised here is my effort regarding the box. I managed to get the sizes pretty good. For the images I took them from the Atari Age website, you definitely need hi-res images for this to be successful. I used thin card from the local supermarket and a Canon printer.

I think thick photo paper and hi-res images would make this feasible.

post-40486-0-48250700-1434202693_thumb.jpg

post-40486-0-76524400-1434202696_thumb.jpg

post-40486-0-92385600-1434202699_thumb.jpg

post-40486-0-27694300-1434202706_thumb.jpg

post-40486-0-86622200-1434202729_thumb.jpg

Rgds

BadPricey

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind comments. FYI I used a program called Scribus to create the box. It's a desktop publishing program but worked really well for this. On my blank template I placed 4 image holders and then put the image into each holder. 1 Front, 1 back then 2 sides.

You can manipulate the image to fit the box. Once this is done just create some text boxes and add the title of your game on the top and sides. Save as a pdf and print the pdf not the Scribus file. It may take a bit of practice but I use Scribus to create a newsletter so I have the hang of it now.

Rgds

BadPricey

• Like 1

BadPricy,

What measurements are you using for the box. Is there a particular font and size you are using for the sides, bottom and top of the boxes? Are you able to send a copy of the 'X' pattern?

Good job on your lemmings box.

When I get some time I will try to recreate the insert as well.

Cheers

BadPricy,

What measurements are you using for the box. Is there a particular font and size you are using for the sides, bottom and top of the boxes? Are you able to send a copy of the 'X' pattern?

Good job on your lemmings box.

When I get some time I will try to recreate the insert as well.

Cheers

Hi saffron1,

I just used Ariel Bold font. It's not the same but looked ok. As for the box measurements I took Duraniks template, cropped out 1, created a blank doc in Scribus with an empty image frame, placed in the image I'd cropped and did a print on paper. I compared it to a regular lynx box and was happy it was close. Sorry that's as technical it gets.

What is the 'X' pattern? Is this the Scribus file?

The nice thing with Scribus is you can create a text box and manipulate it. So for the text on the top of the box you just rotate it.

Rgds

BadPricey

X patterh probably the grey X on Lynx boxes, usually on the side of the game boxes.

Lol yeah thanks, what was I thinking.

The image isn't hi-res though, its all I could find. I used careful cropping to remove the original box name ;)

Maybe the Lynx part and Atari Logo can be found and added to the 'x' pattern.

Rgds

BadPricey

post-40486-0-03535500-1434525050_thumb.png

Edited by BadPricey
  • Like 1

Lol yeah thanks, what was I thinking.

The image isn't hi-res though, its all I could find. I used careful cropping to remove the original box name ;)

Maybe the Lynx part and Atari Logo can be found and added to the 'x' pattern.

Rgds

BadPricey

Yeah that's it, did not know the proper name for it.

Thanks heaps.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with this too. Using the template BadPricey supplied I scanned and re-created the Xybots box. The reason for re-creating a box is because I can compare colour reproduction, image placement and font style more accurately by comparing with an original. Clearly, creating clones/ripoffs is not the intention of these templates.

Here are my initial results using, from left to right:

Top Left: A4 paper 80gsm - only used to get the right template layout and to judge font sizes.

Top Middle: A4 200gsm Heavyweight Double Sided Matt coated injet paper from Ryman - Had the best rigidity but the colour reproduction wasn't great but still better than paper.

Top Right: Original Lynx Game Box - The original and still the best!

Bottom: A4 HP Superior Paper 180 glossy - has the best colour reproduction but was too flimsy.

When printing to my HP Photosmart D5460 I configured the drivers to output the best quality image and the closest paper type was selected for the type of paper used e.g. brochure glossy or brochure matt

I've ordered some 260gsm A4 photo glossy and will try again when that arrives.

Until then I'll refine my Inkscape template a bit more (I prefer Inkscape for this kind of work).

Andy

post-42681-0-28595100-1435259574_thumb.jpg

Thanks BadPricey.

A question for you? I've been using "Hi-Tack All Purpose Very Sticky Glue" to bond the box side together. Even when spread thinly it's quite wet and soaks into the card. Now it's dry this has left even the thickest card rippled. It was also a pain to glue down as, being "Very Sticky", pretty much as soon as the two bits of card touched it started sticking. There wasn't a great chance of unsticking if I misaligned the edges.

What type of glue did you use for your box?

Ah, OK!

Well I've had some success today. The new photo paper arrived (Maxi Finest Paper Premium Glossy Photo Paper 260g A4, 100pcs/pack) today so I've had another go at my template and another box. At 260gsm the box is now rigid but still not quite like the original. Also there's a difference in the texture of the slightly matt original against the glossy surface of the photo paper. However, I think I've reached the paper thickness limits of my printer so I'm stopping at 260gsm.

I'm still using the same glue but because this card is thicker it doesn't seem to be distorting as much. I also used a ruler on the inside of the box to press down on the two gluing edges. I think that also helped to keep the card from rippling.

I now have a template with high rez images and redone sections of the box front. So, for example, the "Lynx Up" text was scanned at high rez and touched up but the yellow triangle and the "1 of 2 Players" text was created in Inkscape. Likewise the Atari, Lynx, FBI Winners Don't Do Drugs, green border lines and bar code images have all been either created in Inkscape by hand, scanned from highest quality available sources or downloaded at high rez.

I had to do a bit of editing to get the "X" logo down the side of the box but it's almost impossible to see the edits once its been printed.

Over all I'm quite pleased. I've already moved the black Atari logo a bit further down the side of the box so that longer game names will fit on the side of the box better. I just haven't printed one out and made a box out of it.

I'm going to have a go at the Cart label next.

Andy

post-42681-0-30067100-1435339465_thumb.jpg

post-42681-0-74275900-1435339469_thumb.jpg

post-42681-0-96229400-1435339472_thumb.jpg

post-42681-0-85014600-1435339475_thumb.jpg

post-42681-0-85455700-1435339479_thumb.jpg

post-42681-0-54577900-1435339482_thumb.jpg

Edited by aminor00

Must steal template and ideas.

I do need a new printer. I have a color laserjet for most works but I also had a wide format inkjet for large photo print (up to 13x19, glossy photo do exist in this size) it was just retired a couple weeks ago after it just up and quit.

• Like 1