IGNORED

How To: Replace the Obsolete Cassette Port with a VGA Connector

wyerd

I've always thought since upgrading my TI with the F18A Video Board, the position of the VGA connector in the middle of the back of the case wasn't very aesthetically pleasing and it was a PITA re-connecting the hex screws every time I opened it up. I have a spare TI that I use for donor parts and I thought that if I can remove the cassette port which is the same size and shape as the VGA connector, it would look a lot better. Also, it would only need two small holes either side for the hex screws, no other cutting the case would be needed.

I used a solder sucker to remove the solder from the solder side and carefully removed the old port in one piece.

img_1568.jpg

Next, the metal shielding needs to be cut along the edge behind where the old cassette port was so that the VGA cable from the F18A can be routed to where the port was.

img_1570.jpg

img_1571.jpg

Next, the holes for the hex screws need to be made. I placed the old cassette port connecter in its old cut out as its the same shape and size as a male VGA connector, making sure that the bottom of the port touches the case and is straight along the top edge. I then used a 7/64" drill bit to mark the holes by pushing it into the holes of the old cassette port so that it then touched and marked the case, by hand. Once marked, I then used the same bit to make the holes.

img_1577.jpg

A small piece of plastic has to removed from the GROM assembly that is secured to the case by 2 small screws. Remove the assembly and using a small hacksaw, cut off about half. This is to allow the VGA connector enough room to sit comfortably in place. This is where the power socket sits.

img_1575.jpg

img_1576.jpg

Line up the holes and the hex screws can be screwed into place.

img_1578.jpg

img_1579.jpg

All done!

img_1580.jpg

img_1581.jpg

img_1582.jpg

Thanks to Omega for the blue LEDs.

Edited by wyerd
  • Like 7

I knew I should have patented that design :)

Thanks for putting up the "How-to", something I failed to do. I actually used a smaller drill bit first as I wasn't sure how brittle the plastic might be,

also I had to file the hex screws down to fit the VGA cable in, due to the VGA connector being recessed into the case a bit.

Mine is a beige case, so maybe some minor differences there.

post-38169-0-80129500-1434085459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Imperious
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Very elegant solution!

I finally got my own F18A and installed it over the weekend, but I'm not sure where to put the VGA connector. I was thinking of removing the old video connector, but I couldn't get it off the mainboard by physical means. Has anybody gone that route before?

Your pictures above seem to suggest that you connected your TI to both composite video and VGA -- wouldn't the old video connector be dead with the F18A installed?

If you decide to make up an audio only cable, this is a good connector at a good price... delivered right to your mailbox. << HERE >>

Well, since it's a standard DIN (= German Institute for Standardization) connector I might even have the matching cable already at home. ;-) AFAIR those were quite common before Japanese audio and cinch took over.

• 9 months later...