IGNORED

How to print from a TI emulator via RS232 to text or PDF ?

globeron

but I was wondering what if there is a program that need to print to RS232 directly?

There shouldn't be very much -- all the software I've seen lets you configure your printer, and as far as text goes, there's no difference to the TI between saving and printing. (try it! You can "print" to DSK1.FILE, no problem ;) ).

• Like 1

There shouldn't be very much -- all the software I've seen lets you configure your printer, and as far as text goes, there's no difference to the TI between saving and printing. (try it! You can "print" to DSK1.FILE, no problem ;) ).

Okay will try it out (I am still reading the updated Classic99 manual and need to study the new XB256, and RXB built-in)

so much things to do ... so less time! I do not understand how all you doing it to create all these good software and features

it makes the TI look complete different and fun, I like the combination of emulators and the real TI, that works very well.

What version of MESS are you using?

At the risk of being chastised, I use two different versions. I use 0.86.1 for my development, only because it has proved stable, it's fast, and it is configured the way I like it. I also have a much newer version which Gazoo originally helped me set up. I use it for testing RAMdisk code before subjecting my real hardware to it. It's probably about time to update the latter version.

At the risk of being chastised, I use two different versions. I use 0.86.1 for my development, only because it has proved stable, it's fast, and it is configured the way I like it. I also have a much newer version which Gazoo originally helped me set up. I use it for testing RAMdisk code before subjecting my real hardware to it. It's probably about time to update the latter version.

...if you give me your startup-parameters I could implement them in my Mess-Starter-batch for you, as a fixed config.

• Like 1

0.86 is really antique, isn't it? That's long before any of my contributions, fixes, enhancements. I'm planning for some enhancements for the Geneve like PFM or so in near future - maybe this could be a motivation to upgrade?

Yes, it is antique just like my real Geneve. ;) I do intend to update the more recent instance as I often run it side-by-side for testing. There are some other obstacles, such as conversion of my drive images, that I simply haven't had much desire to deal with. ;)

If your hard drive image is at least CHD v4, you can convert it using TIImageTool (Utility->Change CHD format). If it is v3 you may be lucky with chdman. Anyway, things cannot go too wrong since we're all doing our regular backups. ;)

• Like 1

Hm? First time I'm hearing of DirectX errors in MAME/MESS. (OK, I'm not running it in Windows.)

I just downloaded the 0.163 and ran it in Win7 (in a VirtualBox) - no problems.

Maybe delete the mess.ini, then recreate it by passing the "-createconfig" switch to mess.

Hm? First time I'm hearing of DirectX errors in MAME/MESS. (OK, I'm not running it in Windows.)

I just downloaded the 0.163 and ran it in Win7 (in a VirtualBox) - no problems.

Maybe delete the mess.ini, then recreate it by passing the "-createconfig" switch to mess.

Error message "Unable to create the Direct3D device (8876086C)"

RDP is the issue:

Most of the time I am using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) to my server where MESS is running (now I saw I had the same issue with MESS

if I start it directly), but I am using QMC2 (M.E.S.S.) all the time that works via RDP. MAME + QMC2 (M.A.M.E.) also works via RDP.

I just started both mess and mame from the system directly (with a screen directly attached to it) then they start and I see

a kind of config menu (similar as the "SCRLCK" "TAB" menu), but with MESS it shows a range of consoles (but I cannot scroll down

to see the TI-emulators, like in QMC2). I have not played around with all the native Linux start-up commands.

I am almost under control how the QMC2 system works and like to see all the other hardware (of which most of them I never heard of before).

and I also like the startup batch of Ralf, which automatically loads everything and is pre-configured from the command line mode!

Please check the release notes and http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/MESS_version_history(<- really important, since I put all relevant changes on that page. Please bookmark!)

MAME/MESS 0.164 features a re-implementation of the hard disk system with higher emulation precision. The obvious difference to earlier releases is that you must specify the hard disk device that is attached to the HFDC.

There are currently four devices: generic (auto-adapts to the CHD that you mount), ST-213, ST-225, and ST-251. The latter three require a CHD file that exactly matches the geometry of the drive. You should therefore make use of generic, unless you have a CHD that really has the correct geometry.

The HD device is specified as follows:

mess ti99_4a -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:h1 generic -hard1 myharddisk.hd

As we have some changes here, remember to do a backup of your CHD. Please do a backup. A backup is definitely recommended. If I did not mention it yet, yes, you should do a backup.

• Like 3

Please check the release notes and http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/MESS_version_history(<- really important, since I put all relevant changes on that page. Please bookmark!)

MAME/MESS 0.164 features a re-implementation of the hard disk system with higher emulation precision. The obvious difference to earlier releases is that you must specify the hard disk device that is attached to the HFDC.

There are currently four devices: generic (auto-adapts to the CHD that you mount), ST-213, ST-225, and ST-251. The latter three require a CHD file that exactly matches the geometry of the drive. You should therefore make use of generic, unless you have a CHD that really has the correct geometry.

The HD device is specified as follows:

mess ti99_4a -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:h1 generic -hard1 myharddisk.hd

As we have some changes here, remember to do a backup of your CHD. Please do a backup. A backup is definitely recommended. If I did not mention it yet, yes, you should do a backup.

It's still not working.

C:\Users\Kerry\MESS>mame64 ti99_4a -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:h1 generic -hard1 tihd.chd
Error: unknown option: -peb:slot8:h1
Error: unknown option: -hard1

C:\Users\Kerry\MESS>mame64 -?
M.A.M.E. v0.164 (Jul 29 2015) - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
Copyright Nicola Salmoria and the MAME team

You are right.

I'm building MESS from sources, so I did not notice yet. I always build the MESS subtarget which does not contain the arcade machines. I did not know that in the binary package there is only the mame(64).exe.

@schmitzi, do you copy?

[This also means that my message from above concerning the DirectX problems is useless. What I did was to unpack the latest mame release over the old mess release, thus launching the old mess executable that was left from the old release.]

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1