IGNORED

How to print from a TI emulator via RS232 to text or PDF ?

globeron

• 4 years later...
On 6/13/2015 at 5:47 AM, Tursi said:

If you want to create a text file from Classic99, just save to FIAD folder with the Windows tag. For instance, if DSK1 is your save folder:

DSK1.?W.FILENAME.TXT

Output result will be a normal text file readable in Windows. Should work from anything that saves TI-style (DV80 or DF80) text files.

Classic99 otherwise has no print capability today.

Thanks for this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeV said:

Thanks for this.

Yeah, Tursi came to our rescue with that function!  Since I have no way to print without a legacy printer, this has been the way I get around it.  I figured I'd slap together a quick video for others with TIPI's, NANO's or even P-Boxes without printers to see how they too can get that elusive program listing to help them with debugging, because quite frankly it's harder than hell to find a bug on the TI's small screen.

• Like 1

TI99DIR is my tool of choice to print a TI disk listing or a DV80 file on an emulated disk.  If you have an emulator that can PRINT to an emulated TI  disk file (I think most can??) the text is quickly available to print.  From a TI program, instead of PRINTing to PIO, print to DSK1.TEXTFILE etc etc

Run TI99DIR and get your emulated disk on screen. If you select the dsk file, then go to Files and then Feed filelist to Edit Window, this window will have a print option and you can print a directory list.

If there is a DV80 file on the disk select it and press F3 which will display the file; select menu option File and then Print.

Or

Highlight the DV80 file, select Tools then "convert TI file to PC file", give it a name and a new PC text file will be created. The options you choose will depend upon how you wish to view the file- I use the option to add LF at the end of every line.

Usual best wishes to Fred for his extremely  useful program. (Yes I am using the 2007 version, so my comments above might require fine tuning for more recent versions!!)

regards s

• Haha 1

True, that method eliminates the step of having to save the file as a Windows compatible text file, and it also has the benefit of being able to read the program directly off of the TIPI.  The reason I don't use the TI99Dir method is because of the size of the text.

99DIR.thumb.JPG.795eb51a14f59f9599343653e57c0d8d.JPG

My eyes are not what they used to be, so I've found that if I save it as a TXT file, I can load it up in any program I want and control the text size.  I can also edit it up and do other things with it if I need to.

DOCUMENT.thumb.jpg.d49b10598780127736079b3145065e69.jpg

Both methods have their pros & cons I suppose.

Print.gif.bd6e3db4ccc2aa31bbbef188e978ef18.gif

2 hours ago, blackbox said:

Highlight the DV80 file, select Tools then "convert TI file to PC file", give it a name and a new PC text file will be created. The options you choose will depend upon how you wish to view the file- I use the option to add LF at the end of every line.

I do tend to either copy  the text from the on screen TI99DIR editor  and then paste it into a wordpro -  or do the above conversion then open the text file in a word processor where I can make the font real big and do a little reformatting.    For some things (Neatlist is one that springs to mind) it is important to choose a Mono font such as Courier or any of the others, or the layout may be messy.  s

largelist.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that works too, but then you go back to adding the cutting and pasting steps along with opening a new file.  Seriously though, either way works.  After all, "There is more than one way to skin a cat", (or so they say).  I personally like little critters like rabbits and cats and could never bring myself do them any harm... with the exception of tossing a pillow near them is they started doing anything stupid like clawing on the furniture.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

So, I have one of these.  I have kinda done some "surgery" on it so that I can insert full-height felt-tip pens into it (because screw that noise with the proprietary pens you cannot buy.)

It uses a serial interface, and speaks the HP GL graphics language.  It would be hilarious to get a TI to print a PDF by parsing the PS code in the PDF into HP GL curves, and send them to the plotter.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2015 at 7:26 AM, Tursi said:

That is because BASIC and XB programs are not text files, they are tokenized program images.

If you want a text file listing, use list:

LIST "DSK2.?W.TEST.TXT"

There is no way in the emulator to import a text file back into a BASIC program (except pasting it), but there are other tools that can do it.

Seem to have lost a reply. But this is exactly what I was looking to do. I remember doing this years ago (on the TI) but forgot the specifics. The quotes are essential! Thank you.

• Like 1