IGNORED

Video Output/RGB Question

MacRorie

Hello,

I recently found this (http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html) being talked about on the Best Electronics website and thought it might be a possible interface between the Jaguar AV devices and a regular LCD monitor. There are other reasons I thought it might be useful, but this was the primary one.

So, I went ahead on sourced one and got it today. My results were . . . mixed.

When I connect it to this: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1718203104651?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171820310465&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] I get a picture that is fairly stable. There is some static noise, but I think that is because their is audio coming through on the DB9 (I once asked the pinouts and there is audio on one of the pins).

However, when I try both the Scatbox and the Catbox, the signal is not supported by the box. I am pretty sure a signal is coming out because it says "Not supported" every so often.

So, I thought I would post here and see if anyone had any thoughts.

I will look to see the pinouts for the ebay MIO, it's on another computer.

Never mind. I think I found my answers. I am curious as to why I am not getting a good image via the eBay AV device, because the pinouts are dead on and the audio is not even connected in Ambery's special cable.

I looked into this (and the Ambery a while back) but more or less gave up on RGB out of the Jaguar. In anyone ever figures out a simple, readily available way to get reliable RGB out of a jaguar to a modern LCD TV, please let me know.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222074-catboxscatbox-vga-to-hdtv/?hl=%20catbox%20%20vga

In the meantime, S Video will do pig. That'll do...

Edited by travistouchdown

In anyone ever figures out a simple, readily available way to get reliable RGB out of a jaguar to a modern LCD TV, please let me know.

Official SCART cable + SCART-to-HDMI converter (such as the XRGB - in that case you need a European SCART to Japanese SCART adapter too, but it's just a passive cable). Great quality, but it's not cheap.

I get that the ambery and all the other budget transcoders are a lot cheaper... but from my experience getting an XRGB as Zerosquare stated is the best and most simple solution. If you are transcoding RGB for the better picture quality, then there's no point to getting budget RGB transcoders that do it with results that are no better than composite or S-video with a scaler. An alternative to the XRGB is just to feed it straight into the DVDO edge 101 (cheaper) or lumagen (more expensive), which also accepts RGB (you need a special breakout cable), but the results aren't to the same level as the XRGB line. The alternative is often just a lot of disappointment or solutions that don't work (as I've found out myself).

Official SCART cable + SCART-to-HDMI converter (such as the XRGB - in that case you need a European SCART to Japanese SCART adapter too, but it's just a passive cable). Great quality, but it's not cheap.

I now have a cheaper Scart to HDMI converter that I use with my RGB modded N64. I think i'm just going to get a Jaguar Scart cable and give that a try.

Its this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-HDMI-to-HDMI-720P-1080P-HD-Video-Converter-Monitor-Box-For-HDTV-DVD-STB-/310620740857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4852705cf9

Seems to work well enough

Edited by travistouchdown

I now have a cheaper Scart to HDMI converter that I use with my RGB modded N64. I think i'm just going to get a Jaguar Scart cable and give that a try.

Its this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-HDMI-to-HDMI-720P-1080P-HD-Video-Converter-Monitor-Box-For-HDTV-DVD-STB-/310620740857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4852705cf9

Seems to work well enough

This one doesn't work with the official SCART cable though (black picture, only showing a single frame from time to time). I have read of a solution somewhere (adding a resistor to one/some of the lines) but ... ah, found it:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222903-using-scart-to-hdmi-on-atari-jaguar/?do=findComment&comment=2943838

Best offers the original SCART cable for $24. Can't go wrong there. Although I did get a Neo Geo SCART cable from retro gaming cables in the UK and I'm really impressed with the quality, they were out of Jag cables last time I looked.

• Like 2

Yes, most of the world is capable of counting to two.

Also the new duplicate account would seem to have eighteen superfluous letters on the end of it.

I will never come back to Atari Age in my life after this.

So how was the afterlife? You should share, lots of people seem interested in that.

• Like 4