IGNORED

Worst price you've seen in person- with pics

toiletunes

I saw a light sixer at a retro store the other day for $199. The heavy sixer was $299.

Ridiculous. I sold a heavy sixer in near mint condition CIB for about 165 and I was totally happy with that. 299 is ludicrous.

I don't know about the "worst" price I've seen, but this recent Craigslist ad from the Worcester, MA area is pretty close:

21 game cartridges plus case. $100 for everything. Titles include Dragster, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., Circus Atari, Home Run, Pac-Man, Missile Command, Breakout, Combat (2 cartridges), Air Sea Battle, Space Invaders, Breakaway IV, Grand Prix, Ms. Pac-Man, Demons to Diamonds, Squeeze Box, Indy 500, Star Raiders, Bowling, and 20 Telegames (incl. Codebreaker, Nim). Must purchase all or none. Cash only. E-mail replies only (no texts). Will meet at mutually convenient local location.

Not linking to ad due to anyone wanting this being able to get it far far less expensively...only question mark is the "case", but even so...

A local shop within walking distance has a few common Atari games priced at $15 each.

I looked at some other stuff they had. They charge $10 for common PS2 sports titles. They also had Mike Tyson's Punch-Out loose for $55, and Final Fantasy 7 (green label) for $95. Honestly, I don't know how half of these places stay in business.

I had a little laugh when I saw Dragster in that picture. I distinctly remember buying that game at a flea market for 25 cents. The least I've ever paid for an individual 2600 game.

The least I've paid for some of this stuff is... NOTHING! :lol:

When it comes up in conversation that you're into classic gaming, I've had some friends and acquaintances just give me boxes and boxes of their old games and systems. Doesn't happen as much today as it did years ago, now that everyone's an eBay speculator. :)

• Like 1

The least I've paid for some of this stuff is... NOTHING! :lol:

When it comes up in conversation that you're into classic gaming, I've had some friends and acquaintances just give me boxes and boxes of their old games and systems. Doesn't happen as much today as it did years ago, now that everyone's an eBay speculator. :)

I've had a few people give me things and bought lots were the price was less than 25 cents per game, but as far as buying individually priced games, 25 cents is the lowest I've ever paid. Now people find out I'm into classic gaming and ask me how much their old stuff is worth.

I got a local idiot who keeps listing and relisting a dirty, busted up 2600 on CraigsList for $200.

I once went through and X'd them all out so I wouldn't see it, but every now and then it reappears.

He just can't accept it ain't worth that much and should never sell for that much. He's just wasting his time.

I don't throw "idiot" around casually, but whoever is behind that listing truly is one.

Ha! I see that listing all the time! I'm seriously beginning to think it's a joke at this point.

I bet there are threads like this on other collecting forums. "Look at how much this guy is asking for a Knight Rider lunch box! It's not worth anywhere near that much! I wish idiots who don't know any better would stop paying these ridiculous prices! It's ruining the hobby for the rest of us!"

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

I am used to paying $1 to $6 for common to uncommon carts in a physical retro game store. It's probably a little high in some cases but I have probably come out ahead other times too. At the places I like to go, the staff doesn't seem to know much (or care much) about Atari stuff so it works out for me.

The most I have paid for a 2600 game is $25 for Beamrider. It was probably too much but I really wanted to play that game and I have definitely gotten my $25 worth of enjoyment out of it.

Edit: OK, how's this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-system-with-5-games-/272146455376?hash=item3f5d315b50:g:CiIAAOSwUdlWgE~f

Edited by marlowe221

Guest LiqMat

I am used to paying $1 to $6 for common to uncommon carts in a physical retro game store. It's probably a little high in some cases but I have probably come out ahead other times too. At the places I like to go, the staff doesn't seem to know much (or care much) about Atari stuff so it works out for me.

The most I have paid for a 2600 game is $25 for Beamrider. It was probably too much but I really wanted to play that game and I have definitely gotten my $25 worth of enjoyment out of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-system-with-5-games-/272146455376?hash=item3f5d315b50:g:CiIAAOSwUdlWgE~f

That is a super rare Atria system man and it only has "wear and tare" as apposed to the dreaded wear and tear so that ups its value considerably. ;)

Edited by LiqMat
  • Like 1

That is a super rare Atria system man and it only has "wear and tare" as apposed to the dreaded wear and tear so that ups its value considerably. ;)

I can only assume the seller is smuggling heroin inside the console or that there is a gold ingot in there or something. After all, there is a surprising amount of empty space inside a VCS...

25 for Beamrider isn't crazy. I would say 25 for Beamrider with a clean label would be the market price. I paid 22 for Montezuma's Revenge. I think that's my single most expensive cartridge purchase :)

25 for Beamrider isn't crazy. I would say 25 for Beamrider with a clean label would be the market price. I paid 22 for Montezuma's Revenge. I think that's my single most expensive cartridge purchase :)

Well it's nice to know that I didn't over pay! But honestly, I probably wouldn't care if I did. Beamrider is a great game and has become one of my favorites on the system since I bought it almost a year ago.

If the 5 games are Air Raid, Gamma Attack, Red Sea Crossing, Birthday Mania and Extraterrestrials that might not be a bad deal.

• 11 months later...