IGNORED

Ramp Rage (v1.2) has finally arrived

After a lot of assembles here is my game Ramp Rage v1.2

I've commented on just about every game released in recent times so here's your chance for revenge, comments welcome, good or bad. Yes it's probably still fairly hard on the default level "normal" but easy is easy. Once you've played a few times you should get through a couple of levels and start to learn what is what. It is intended to offer a lasting challenge.

The high score club guys play tested v1.1 and I've since made a few changes; hopefully not sanitised the game too much! I've struggled to get all the game elements to work together, probably as I have stuck with movement in a window, rather than fixed vertical position like in other vertically scrolling games. It will never be perfect and probably v1.3 will come after some of you have played it more!

Full instructions here Ramp Rage - Instructions v1.2.pdf

Download the Game here Ramp Rage - Boot Game v1.2.ATR

(1050 enhanced density) probably could be made into a file version but I've used lots of odd addresses.

Post any scores here Ramp Rage High Scores

Video of level 3 (spoiler: shows docking) Ramp Rage Video #2.wmv

Video showing PMG shield Ramp Rage Video #1.wmv

Let me know if it doesn't run on your system or you need a file version or single density disk version creating.

If you have NTSC and PAL systems I would really like to hear what you think about the comparative speeds, and if one plays better than the other?

Possible issues:

NTSC TV's: speed gauge may not be fully visible (probable), please post if you can't see 4 segments of the gauge.

May lose a life, even with the PMG Shield: if collecting power-up and baddie at same time (probable)

Some levels may not have enough fuel (unlikely)

Baddie may get stuck in margin area (possible), if you collect last target docker will not appear until this goes off screen, may take way too long

Non-moving obstacles may make sections impossible to pass (possible)

Have Fun

trbb

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 8

Ah... I remember myself playing this game a while ago. I already loved the first version, but Jason... you did a great job here.

What an entertaining and challenging game. I almost collected the 8 targets (1 left, and died) and I stared at the screen with such a face like: this is not happening right?!!?

Haha and RESTART!

Thanks for this pleasant surprise. I know what I'm going to do tomorrow! Ramp Rage it is!!!

• Like 1

Proper product that, really great little game...

Well done that man and thank you..

Will be giving this a proper bash later......

(PS, ask SONY for a PS4 for my daughter :) comes out of hospital this month)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Thank you very much for sharing your game.
I tried to load it.
However, i ran into problems.
My config is:
Atary800xl with myide2, sio2sd and ultimate 1mb.

I unplugged myide, loaded game(atr) into D1: of the
Sio2sd. After booting, have a look at the picture...
Guess i did something wrong?

Happy about an advise...

uhh, by the way. I discovered one strange thing. If it loads on the Sio2SD,

it says something like SIO xex loader? Looks like the atr is handeled as a xex-file

instead of a disk image?

Stefan
...post-38469-0-57382200-1434306742_thumb.jpgpost-38469-0-47613700-1434306816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stefan Both
  • Like 1

Still problems loading the game from sio2sd, but
it R U N S great from MyIDE2 image menu...
so probably an issue regarding Sio2SD.
Maybe I should load it with a different speed/
without speeder.

post-38469-0-65500400-1434314505_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much. I made a short test, and can't wait

'till tomorrow evening. looks like a L O T of fun !

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Still problems loading the game from sio2sd, but it R U N S great from MyIDE2 image menu...
so probably an issue regarding Sio2SD.
Maybe I should load it with a different speed/without speeder.

Anyone know if there are any addresses (on page 0 perhaps?) that should be avoided re sio2sd loading?

If anyone wants to get involved with some improvements I will be sticking to MAC/65 and real hardware, so must I be able to transfer any files via APE :)

Nice title screen also. Are you using DLI's for color effects ? Seems i have still a lot to learn...

Suprisingly this was just a "simple" single DLI (that's why there is the tearing). I also used PMG overlays for the first time.

If someone wants to do a proper title screen (small as possible) or a front page "box cover" graphic for the documents get in touch :)

The sounds of the game (well some of the sounds) do remind me of that brilliant game Special Delivery... (my favorite holiday seasons game ever!)

Do you hear it too?

Hmm, I wish!! still could do with help on the sound effects - what I have evolved with a lot of trial and error!

Played late into the night, loving it...

Thank you RBB...

And a question, it must be daunting going from so much in the way of machine resources to trying to cram it all into 48 - 64K, so do you think working on such resource friendly items with hardware to do almost as you want, has that improved the way you code on an Atari?

Always wondered about this, I'm sure over the years you have leaned many new coding ways for the new hardware but is any useful retro wise?

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Played late into the night, loving it...

Thank you RBB...

And a question, it must be daunting going from so much in the way of machine resources to trying to cram it all into 48 - 64K, so do you think working on such resource friendly items with hardware to do almost as you want, has that improved the way you code on an Atari?

Always wondered about this, I'm sure over the years you have leaned many new coding ways for the new hardware but is any useful retro wise?

OK now I'm sure you are mixing me up with someone else (probably another Jason... we are legion! so no PS4!) but I've mainly done database programming on the PCs but I go back to when they were just the IBM XT etc with limited resources. Funnily enough I found I could fit in so much more with the assembler than with basic and turbo basic. Usually I ran out of RAM sooner and the game came to an end sooner too (Gwobby etc)

Glad you like the game :)

OK now I'm sure you are mixing me up with someone else (probably another Jason... we are legion! so no PS4!) but I've mainly done database programming on the PCs but I go back to when they were just the IBM XT etc with limited resources. Funnily enough I found I could fit in so much more with the assembler than with basic and turbo basic. Usually I ran out of RAM sooner and the game came to an end sooner too (Gwobby etc)

Glad you like the game :)

Ack, senior moment Jason..

Yes, mixed you up with someone else...

So much going on with my daughter coming out of hospital and a million and one other things..

Comments re the game are correct and proper tho :), having great fun with it..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response. I should have checked the system requirements.

Seriously I don't have a 5200 or the inclination as I want to start my next A8 project but would be happy to help if someone did want to convert Ramp Rage, if it was possible. Of course I'm flattered even by the thought :thumbsup:

If anyone does have any issues including those I've listed on the first post please let me know and remember you can post any Ramp Rage scores on the thread in the HSC :)