IGNORED

Sega Dreamcast

To retierate what I said earlier in this thread, it'll probably always be my favorite system ever. Bought mine on launch day.

As an arcade gamer, it was simply the very best. When it came out I wasn't much into RPGs so the PS2 had no draw whatsoever for me apart from Tekken Tag Tournament. DC had soooooooo many great fighters, 3d and 2d. And racers. And kooky stuff.

I shall wear my Dreamcast t-shirt to work tomorrow in honor of its birthday (casual Fridays) :)

I LOVE the Sega Dreamcast! I bought mine when they announced they were no longer producing it and was able to pick up some brand new units for cheap at Best Buy. I have all the special controllers (gun, arcade stick, fishing rod), etc. I prefer the DC controller over Xbox/PS models. It just fits for me and the DC has lots of great titles. Plus, there are plenty of homebrews and more being relased every year.

NHL 2K2, Tennis 2K2, Ikaruga, Bomberman Online, Jet Grind Radio, Sturmwind, Rush Rush Rally Racing, and Daytona USA are some of my favorites.

Long live the DC! :)

• Like 1

I have been only playing Dreamcast this weekend. After getting my fill of Daytona USA 2001 (Unlocked nearly all the cars, beat the Championship, played around with the Custom Colors), I moved on to Sega Rally 2 and also Test Drive V Rally.

Wow, SR2 has not aged well in my opinion! I played a couple of the ugly desert levels , had a hard time competing and even staying on the track as I felt I was racing on ice the whole time. The interface is top shelf effort however, but the graphics and gameplay are no longer all that attractive to me.

This was especially evident after I then popped in Test Drive V Rally. This game has a fluid (60fps?) frame rate and nice tracks and visuals, and isn't too difficult. You only race 4 cars at a time in arcade mode, and the 4th one is a chump. But it didn't matter, I had a blast playing through Arcade mode. Didn't beat it yet, though. I also played around with the Track Editor. Wow, what a great editor. You can easily 'generate' a looped track and fine-tune various curves , or you can build a looped or non-looped track segment-by-segment. Then, you can adjust the elevation, and it allows you to truly make high hills and pretty deep valleys! It's too bad you can't race on them - you can only race yourself in time trials mode. Still fun to play with, and you could take turns with a friend in competition to see who gets the best track time.

Then, I moved on to Sonic Adventure and I beat the game using the Sonic. I'm still impressed by the design, although the execution isn't that great at times, to me. (always fighting the camera angle in some levels then falling to my doom, 'out of the level' ) I still had a lot of fun and it didn't take too long to beat the game using just Sonic. I popped in Sonic adventure 2 next - it looks like a different system, the graphics are so much refined over part one. I played a few Hero and a few Dark adventure rounds and called it quits.

Sometimes I get the mood to play a certain system I own. It's the Dreamcast's turn. I played Maximum Pool by myself for a half-hour. It's really fun when you play the 9-ball mode and have to hit the balls in numeric order. I just bought a couple of Dreamcast games. I got Wetrix+ and Wacky Races. Looking at these purchases now, didn't realize they both start with W. I'll be playing it more tomorrow. I just wish more homebrew games would come out now.

Have you tried the internet?

Now why didn't I think of that...lol

Seriously, I don't pay retail or internet prices for a couple of reasons:

1. People selling the antiquated technology think it's made of gold.

2. Searching for games/consoles at thrift stores/garage sales and getting them for next to nothing is part of the fun .

The 10 consoles and 6 handhelds that I currently own have all been thrift store/garage sale finds when I started building my collection in February. I don't have very many games for any of console systems because finding any is far and few in between, but when I do find a game it's an adrenaline rush.

Edited by thadsilverfox

Was Primal Rage ever made for the Dreamcast?

Nope. Primal Rage was relegated to mid-'90s consoles (and PC) only until about 2004 or so when Midway released their Arcade Treasures Volume 2 compilation during the XBOX/PS2/GC generation. Although, you can technically play the Genesis version on a Dreamcast using an emulation disc, but it's not quite the same. ;)

This thread got me going back to the Dreamcast and I'm having a blast! The one bummer is that I can't find my copy of Seaman! Found the game case, the mic, just no clue where the disk went.

Thinking about picking up one of those SD card things that plugs right in but it looks like the price has gone waay up since I last looked. $39.99!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1518271376061?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=151827137606&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Edited by phaxda

I put in an offer just now to see if the seller will bite. They used to be all over eBay a couple years ago and for some reason I never bought one.

I haven't played My Dreamcast in awhile. My friends and I loved playing Armada. I finished Maken X not too long ago so now my goal is to beat D2 in October. Maybe Blue Stinger after that or Resident Evil 2 and 3.

Another thing is if anyone has been debating on whether or not to get a VGA adapter, just get the more expensive clear box one because they're worth it. I bought a cheap cable from China and it doesn't look as good as the clear VGA box on my LED monitor. I wish I bought one sooner because I've been missing out.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think i lost ALL respect for Jez San after this:

'JS: We developed Red Dog for the DC, but we're not working on any other DC games at this time. And no, we do not intend to develop more for the DC, as there is little or no publisher interest in doing so. Even the staunch DC supporters have stopped. As a developer, we know the machine intimately and would love to continue, but without publisher support, the format is doomed.

Croc 2 isn't being developed on the DC, sorry. It was canned because there was discussion as to how economic it would be to produce a PC port versus a new game engine. We are a cross platform company, but we are not developing any more Dreamcast games. [The primary reason is] because of how dismally the system has done, and particularly how badly our game Red Dog was marketed by Sega.'

So...nothing to do with the fact that Red Dog was given to UK Press to review, they panned it, Argonaut tweaked it, it was re-reviewed and panned once again then Jez?...Pffff......

It's hard to judge on just some chatting.

But remember that Sega managed to piss off Wal-Mart. It says much on the capacity of Sega at the time to royally screw up things.

Plus depending when this specific game was to be released, the failure of the Dreamcast might have been too obvious for thme to spend more money into releasing the game.

Plus as we talk about europe, remember that Big Ben was managign the distribution of the game. Maybe they messed up things in between the two as well.

The fact Jez never even referenced the fact it, like Psygnosis with MCD/Sega CD Dracula, had suffered at the hands of reviewers and thus was 'pulled', further work done and re-reviewed, only to fall way short once more, for myself did speak volumes.

I had the game and whilst it was technically making great use of the DC hardware, it simply was'nt fun to play, something reviewers on Official DC Magazine and DC-UK picked up on.
To cry foul regarding Sega not marketing it properly, when they had put rolling footage etc of it on the cover discs of the Official Magazine, just screamed sour grapes.
Why would they invest serious resources into pushing an average title?.
Red Dog was no better a game than say Birds Of Prey on the Amiga, Creature Shock on the PC CD, etc.
Argonaut were not gods, they, like any studio with talent, had titles that worked and those that did'nt, but to put the blame squarely on Sega, rather than your own teams, just did'nt impress me at all.

I think my DC might be the one console I wish I hadn't offloaded. Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Shen Mue, frickin Virtua Tennis, Marvel Capcom 2... I remember loving PSO in its heydey, playing the thing on dialup and laughing at the ridiculous hacking.

Later on I remember it handling early emulation and homebrew stuff nicely too. Maybe I'll pick up a DC as a christmas present to myself. From santa. I mean myself.

• Like 1

Tonight I played a couple rounds of Giga Wing. There's really nothing like it to me. Shoot, dodge , reflect bullets, and collect medals to get astronomically high score. It isn't that long so it is still fun to replay the whole game a couple times. I have lost any skills I ever had at timing the reflect shot though, but the game lets you continue infinitely. Since I've been playing older Atari and Sega games, the sheer amount of shots/ships and the fluid animation kind of blew me away all over again.

• Like 3

I've been playing the Capcom Takumi Trio - Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, and Mars Matrix.

Giga Wing is probably my favorite. I knock down the difficult a notch or two and see how long I can last without using a bomb. The game is short and has attractive 2D visuals, and you can continue to beat it so it isn't frustrating. I like the music including the simple guitar riffs after each stage.

Giga Wing 2 is using 3D backgrounds. It has more slowdown and I don't like the music as much - its more operatic and dramatic compared to the upbeat original's music.

With both these games, you reflect shots back at the enemies, and collect medals for score. Once you use the reflect, it has to recharge, so an ill-timed reflect means you will either die , or waste a smart bomb.

Mars Matrix is a different animal. You don't die by touching craft, only their tons of shots. The collision window is very precise so you can lead and avoid the shots. GW's reflect shot is replaced by the mosquito here. It took me a few rounds to remember the true strategy of Mars Matrix. Each enemy killed drops a little cube, or multiple cubes. If you an keep grabbing consecutive cubes within 1 second or so of a limit, the "+1" keeps increasing. You'll level up a lot quicker if you can keep the chain going. The mosquito doesn't reflect, it absorbs shots and then when you release the A button, it shoots out the absorbed shots in the opposite direction you are pressing - so you have to aim the reflects. The mosquito itself also damages enemies, so you can use it to get out of all kinds of jams. But this game seems monstrously hard at first until you get the hang of it. The thing I like about MM is that there is a Shop screen. You can buy more ships and credits and challenges. You can also buy the Strategy videos. Watching these blew my mind at first, seeing a true MM master and how he attacks the levels, trying for optimum multiplier cube collection and using the mosquito in a masterful way. MM is a different feeling, different playing kind of shooter and its pretty fun.