IGNORED

Best Gold plated controllers

reklen

Hi, I'm new to the 5200. I just a 4 port version in the box with five games. The 5200 works great, the switchbox works great, so do the games. It came with two controllers, and I had a spare controller. But of course I don't have one controller in which all the buttons work. I took one apart after watching you-tube videos, and was able to make one work. Does anyone recommend the Best 5200 controller that supposedly doesn't break. I mean it took forever for me to fix the controller, and every time I did, one button that did work, wouldn't, and one that did would. Granted, I have an xe, most of the games, and won't be playing the 5200 much, but still, when I want to, I'd rather not play musical controllers. I bought a refurbished lynx, and some European 7800 controllers a few years ago, and have had no problems. What do you guys think.

Reklen

• Like 3

I've yet to take the plunge myself but I have a super duper NeoGeo Arcade Stick converted for use with the 5200 courtesy of Grips03. I do intend to get some of my 5200 controllers done with the gold kit eventually. I'm surprised Best Electronics isn't offering to do Paddle mods too. I'd think it would be pretty pimp to have their gold kit installed and their "Best" Paddle POT Replacement installed.

I bought a couple 5200 gold dot/flex controllers from Best plus a 7800 PAL joypad. The controllers are awesome and when it says "Lasts you a lifetime" they mean it and it is the truth. $90 worth spending on the 2 controllers. They function flawlessly. Hopefully soon they can upgrade their website, as it looks like it is from 1995. And have an add to cart feature and a checkout. Instead of doing all by email.

Hi, Also have a set that I purchased from Best and they are worth it. I also ordered the flex, both keyboards (aux and numeric) and new fire buttons all with gold contact) (except for flex went standard Rev 9). The parts were inexpensive (Buy from Best others selling on internet buy from Best and just resell at a higher cost.)

The controllers are easy to rebuild and best has a great How-To instruction on his website for free.

If you are in a hurry and have no mechanical skills buy the whole controllers. If you like to open and repair things, just get the parts...much cheaper.

Also they offer $7.00 per old controller trade in. To send in my two controllers it would have cost $15.00 so i decided to keep them and rebuild them.

If you live in California or a zone close by it may be worth it but it wasn't for me.

• Like 1

I kind of did the same thing as reklen not too long ago... coming from the 8-bit computer system as my go to Atari in recent years, I picked up a very reasonably priced 5200 with some games, the contoller works good enough for now, but I want to get some of the Best 5200 controllers. Glad to hear that they are so well acclaimed...

Edited by SilvaHaloOne

• 4 weeks later...

I got a Best controller as well. Only had it a few days but they delivered fast and so far it has been the only controller I can rely on. They even talked me through a quick system setting over the phone. Now I can enjoy playing without having to go for the phillips head screwdriver ever couple of hours.

Do all the gold controllers need a system setting? What is all envoled? Or do some not need it? Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Well, I got the controllers today, and so far they seem to work well. They feel different from my other controllers, and one makes clicking noises. I got a multicart from the Portland Retro Game show. It is a little glitchy, but most of the games work. SuperPacman is the only one that crashes.

It is interesting to see which games work well with the controller. The Paddle games are interesting. They work better than a joystick, but still not as good as the paddles. I did okay with Kaboom, but I doubt I'll play Superbreakout ever again.

Most of the arcade classics, like Dig Dug, Pengo, Kangaroo, Joust work fine, meaning I really don't miss the 2600 controller, however others, like Mario Bros and Vanguard, are almost unplayable.

The big surprise for me was Super Cobra. Super Cobra is a game I had on the 2600 and XE. I couldn't get far on either system. Now the 5200 and XE Super Cobra are the same game. Now I prefer most xe versions because you can use the 2600 joystick. Super Cobra seems to be the exception. The 5200 version works really well with the 5200 controllers, I got much farther, and was much better with it. The same is true for Pole Position. The Non-centering Stick helps immensely.

I hadn't played the 5200 for a few months before the Portland show. The main reason was that I only had a few games, which I also had on the Xe, so it was more of shelf piece than something I actually played. However, I couldn't pass up the opportunity of buying the 5200 multicart, every commercial game for the system, plus some prototypes. That was Saturday. On Sunday, I spent all morning wondering why the Multicart wasn't working. I had already forgotten about the joystick failure. I figured that when I fixed the one joystick months I wouldn't have to do it ever again. Needless to say, I spent a few hours fixing the joysticks, and finally got them to work. Unfortunately I couldn't get any of them to work all the way, I was angry, but at least I knew they multicart was working, and hadn't lost that money. They only game I could play was Kangaroo.

I ordered the BEST joysticks on Monday, and received them on Wednesday. That was fast. I never want to open up a 5200 controller again. I only took the plunge, because so many other Atariage members seemed to be please with their Best controllers, and I was happy with the service I received from Best in the past.

• Like 1

Most of the arcade classics, like Dig Dug, Pengo, Kangaroo, Joust work fine, meaning I really don't miss the 2600 controller, however others, like Mario Bros and Vanguard, are almost unplayable.

It's always interesting hearing the games different people like and don't like with the 5200 controllers; there seem to be lots of wildly varying opinions. For instance, I think Mario Bros. and Vanguard play great with the 5200 controllers. I think it's because no 5200 controller is the same. Meaning, there's always going to be some little thing about one that feels different from another, and those subtle things can affect gameplay experiences.

I'm glad your Best controllers are working out for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the controllers today, and so far they seem to work well. They feel different from my other controllers, and one makes clicking noises. I got a multicart from the Portland Retro Game show. It is a little glitchy, but most of the games work. SuperPacman is the only one that crashes.

It is interesting to see which games work well with the controller. The Paddle games are interesting. They work better than a joystick, but still not as good as the paddles. I did okay with Kaboom, but I doubt I'll play Superbreakout ever again.

The big surprise for me was Super Cobra. Super Cobra is a game I had on the 2600 and XE. I couldn't get far on either system. Now the 5200 and XE Super Cobra are the same game. Now I prefer most xe versions because you can use the 2600 joystick. Super Cobra seems to be the exception. The 5200 version works really well with the 5200 controllers, I got much farther, and was much better with it. The same is true for Pole Position. The Non-centering Stick helps immensely.

I hadn't played the 5200 for a few months before the Portland show. The main reason was that I only had a few games, which I also had on the Xe, so it was more of shelf piece than something I actually played. However, I couldn't pass up the opportunity of buying the 5200 multicart, every commercial game for the system, plus some prototypes. That was Saturday. On Sunday, I spent all morning wondering why the Multicart wasn't working. I had already forgotten about the joystick failure. I figured that when I fixed the one joystick months I wouldn't have to do it ever again. Needless to say, I spent a few hours fixing the joysticks, and finally got them to work. Unfortunately I couldn't get any of them to work all the way, I was angry, but at least I knew they multicart was working, and hadn't lost that money. They only game I could play was Kangaroo.

I ordered the BEST joysticks on Monday, and received them on Wednesday. That was fast. I never want to open up a 5200 controller again. I only took the plunge, because so many other Atariage members seemed to be please with their Best controllers, and I was happy with the service I received from Best in the past.

Since you already have an XE, the best way to enjoy the 5200 is to get the Trak-Ball Controller. There are so many 5200 games with native Trak-Ball support; that's what really makes it shine when compared to A8. You also may want to consider modding a 5200 joystick into a paddle/driving controller. There's videos on YouTube of 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to the 5200. I just a 4 port version in the box with five games. The 5200 works great, the switchbox works great, so do the games. It came with two controllers, and I had a spare controller. But of course I don't have one controller in which all the buttons work. I took one apart after watching you-tube videos, and was able to make one work. Does anyone recommend the Best 5200 controller that supposedly doesn't break. I mean it took forever for me to fix the controller, and every time I did, one button that did work, wouldn't, and one that did would. Granted, I have an xe, most of the games, and won't be playing the 5200 much, but still, when I want to, I'd rather not play musical controllers. I bought a refurbished lynx, and some European 7800 controllers a few years ago, and have had no problems. What do you guys think.

Reklen

There is no such thing as a CX52 that doesn't require maintenance at some point.

The gold buttons and gold flex circuits are great and have made life with the CX52 controller a wonderful thing, BUT you have to remember that the gold buttons are metal not carbon tipped or soft , they will eventually eat up your flex circuit if you use it enough , especially if one competes in the HSC.

I've rebuilt my main controller 4 times since 2012 and not just flex circuits. I have had zero issues with the Best buttons, it's everything else that goes belly up , pots get weird, boots hang up , slide plates get sloppy.

If not on a budget, my recommendation is build a minimum of 4 controllers , then come up with a pecking order of the ones you like best so that WHEN one does go down, you aren't waiting for a parts order.

I will be spending a tidy sum on parts after the holidays.