IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs 3do

JazGaming

I own both. Honestly it's almost a coin toss decision for me except for one detail. I like cartridge over cd's personally. I just got home a few minutes ago with Burning Soldier and Shock Wave on the 3DO, looking forward to playing them later. As far as games go, I think the 3DO has games that interest me more but I still like Jaguar a bit more overall.

I love my jaguar. It's unique and the last with the Atari brand name. But IMO the choice is really between a Cartridge based system and a CD based system.. which is more robust and which is most likely to break down and need repairs?

I own both. Honestly it's almost a coin toss decision for me.

Pretty much the same for me. I think they complement one-another nicely.

To the OP-- if you are really thinking about buying one or the other, there are a lot of different factors to keep in mind, things like overall price (the cost of the system, games, accessories), game selection/library, etc.

3DO

- The 3DO has a much larger library than the Jaguar. It also has Japanese imports which gives you even more options to choose from with some really neat exclusives over there.

- The 3DO can read rewritable discs and has no copy protection, so if saving money is important and you aren't averse to using backups, then the cost of the system and a spindle of CD-r discs will be the only up-front costs associated with it.

- The 3DO has more explicitly "32-bit era" games--lots of texture-mapped polygons, less games that look like 16-bit console ports. More PlayStation-esque games if you will.

- Compared to the Jaguar, the system excels at fighting games, adventure and "role playing" games, sim/strategy-type games, and open world/mission-oriented games.

- Compared to the Jaguar, the 3DO didn't excel at as many fast paced 2D games or arcade style games in general (fighters aside). Gex may be the only truly standout title in the 2D platforming genre, with Soccer Kid as a runner-up for that label. It doesn't really have many other worthwhile fast-paced arcade-like games in general, asides from maybe Captain Quazar. The system has no shmups to speak of (not counting the mini-game on "Fun 'n Games" and a rare Japan-only exclusive that plays like a fixed single-screen shooter), and the general pacing of many of its games you will find to be slower than what you will find on the Jaguar.

- If you are going for a complete/boxed system, the 3DO will likely cost you less for the console than a Jaguar will.

- The 3DO has a larger library, but many of these are made up of shovelware, edutainment software and generally rushed titles thanks to the fact that licensing costs to make a 3DO game back in the day was very cheap and there was no quality control. Thus, you have a lot of games created by companies with little experience in the industry at the time, and this means a lot of rushed titles that weren't even decent by early 1990's standards. The 3DO requires more digging and experimentation to find what appeals to you (I recommend sorting through forums and YouTube to see what you may like on the system), but overall there are probably more "good" titles on the system than titles in the Jaguar's library all together, if your gaming tastes are varied.

- The homebrew scene for the 3DO is nearly non-existent. There are a few folks toying around with it now, but the output hasn't been very good overall.

Jaguar

- The Jaguar has a much smaller library overall than the 3DO.

- The Jaguar doesn't have a cheap flash cart available in the vein of the Everdrives for other platforms, so you will most-likely be looking at having to physically acquire games for the system. Prices have been going up, particularly for the good games on the system, so acquiring a solid collection will not be cheap. Games like Rayman and Atari Karts in particular are very pricey. The Jaguar will be a greater investment overall.

- The polygonal games on the Jaguar will likely not impress. That's not to say its polygonal games are bad, it's all up to taste, but many of its 3D titles do rely on flat/shaded polygons. Its fully texture-mapped games run at a snails pace (like Hover Strike). Its 3D games also generally consist of similar fetch-style mission-oriented formulas--grab the pods (Cybermorph, I-War), blow up this building or tower (Iron Soldier, Hoverstrike), etc. If that sounds appealing to you, you may like or dislike these. Iron Soldier is probably the biggest/most noteworthy polygonal game on the system.

- Compared to the 3DO, the Jaguar excels at faster arcade-style games. Tempest 2000, Missile Command 3D, Defender 2000, Zoop, Power Drive Rally, Super Burnout, NBA Jam, Val D'Isere, Pinball Fantasies and Raiden are all good examples of arcade-style games that you don't have nearly as much of on the 3DO (speaking strictly of worthwhile ones, not games like Mazer on the 3DO). You also have more worthwhile 16-bit era style games. If games consisting of 2D sprites and visual trickery is appealing to you, the Jaguar may be the way to go.

- If you are going for a complete/boxed system, the Jaguar may cost you a little more than a 3DO, depending on the model 3DO you have your eyes set on.

- The Jaguar has an active homebrew scene. There are a lot of games released frequently and the output has been solid overall.

- Aftermarket releases can also still be had new from places like Songbird Productions. If money's not an issue, this opens up some more good releases like Protector, Total Carnage, etc.

• Like 15

That was one of the more thoughtful and comprehensive comparisons I've seen between the two Austin!

I'd maybe add the difference between controllers also. Including the second generation Jaguar pad (not talking about the 6-button) that's more diagonal friendly due to its more spongy directional pad... especially important when pulling off special moves in fighting games.

I'd maybe add the difference between controllers also. Including the second generation Jaguar pad (not talking about the 6-button) that's more diagonal friendly due to its more spongy directional pad... especially important when pulling off special moves in fighting games.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning it. The shoulder keys are nice on the 3DO for the games that use them. The Jag's Pro Controller is certainly nice as well, but with the fact it will run you $100+ to acquire one, I typically leave it out of the equation all together.

• Like 1

I prefer the Jaguar today, but probably would've rather had the 3DO when it came out. Many of the better 3DO games were ported off the system.

Of the 'good games' left after excluding the games ported off the 3DO I found myself preferring the Jaguar. It has been a long time since I played a game on the 3DO but find myself dusting off the Jaguar much more often. probably due to the higher number of good arcade style games as austin mentioned, which have a higher replay value.

Edited by Willard

I know a lot about these consoles but I can't decide which to get. I know that the Jaguar probably has the least power because of its cartridges while the 3do has CDs. But which is the most enjoyable to own and had the better exclusives.

Wows first time I see someone considering chosing a console for its electrical consumption ^^

Your dreams comes true: I remember in the early 80ies come solar LCD games close to Nintendo Game&Watch but without any battery. Of course you will need to switch on the light at night :D

• Like 1

- The Jaguar doesn't have a cheap flash cart available in the vein of the Everdrives for other platforms, so you will most-likely be looking at having to physically acquire games for the system. Prices have been going up, particularly for the good games on the system, so acquiring a solid collection will not be cheap. Games like Rayman and Atari Karts in particular are very pricey. The Jaguar will be a greater investment overall.

I don't know what you mean by "cheap" but the Skunk is available for something less than €100 and it is possible to mod the Jag so you can just plug a wire to transfer roms from a PC (BJL).

- Aftermarket releases can also still be had new from places like Songbird Productions. If money's not an issue, this opens up some more good releases like Protector, Total Carnage, etc.

Do not forget awesome homebrew releases in cartridge like Another World or CD, like Reboot or Orion's games.

Edited by Felyx

I don't know what you mean by "cheap" but the Skunk is available for something less than €100 and it is possible to mod the Jag so you can just plug a wire to transfer roms from a PC (BJL).

It looks like for the SillyVenture ones, you are right. That puts them in a much more affordable range than I thought and brings the Jaguar closer to the 3DO in the affordability department (although, only being able to load a handful of games to the cart at once is cumbersome, to say the least). Weren't older Skunks a lot more expensive, like in the $200 - $300 range (at least on the used market when supply ran out)?

• Like 1

It looks like for the SillyVenture ones

This is exactly what I mean: when I bought my Jaguar I bought a Jag CD but bought a Skunk only recently with the Silly Venture affordable edition and it seems to be still available.

I know it is possible to mod the Jag for BJL and even if I never felt confortable with that, it is one another possibility to load roms. Now I must say I rarely use my Skunk because when it is possible to burn a CD, it is far more simple: just place the CD in the Jag CD and press the button: what could be more simple?

Now I must say I rarely use my Skunk because when it is possible to burn a CD, it is far more simple: just place the CD in the Jag CD and press the button: what could be more simple?

The CD is fine for homebrew, but it does you no good in regards to official cart releases from the '90s. With a Skunk though, I see no need for a CD drive since it can handle both homebrews and official retail releases. The CD add-on is finicky and pricey compared to the new Skunks. It's a tough sell when you look at it that way.

The CD is fine for homebrew, but it does you no good in regards to official cart releases from the '90s. With a Skunk though, I see no need for a CD drive since it can handle both homebrews and official retail releases. The CD add-on is finicky and pricey compared to the new Skunks. It's a tough sell when you look at it that way.

Well, the CD gives you MemoryTrack access which you can't get with a Skunkboard. Other than that....

• Like 1

Without Jag CD, no Iron Soldier 2, no Battlemorph, no Myst, no Primal Rage, no World Tour Racing, no Robinson requiem, no Baldies, no Vid Grid...

A Jag CD is rare then expensive but if you compare the extra price for homebrews released in cartridge compared to CD, is it really that expensive?

In my opinion, having just to insert a CD to play a game is natural for a console player compared to have to flash a card for each game you wanna play which is more "computer experience".

With homebrews, CD give the opportunity to have have a nice object with art on it and on dedicated box.

Probably old fashioned but still my preference compared to having to switch on a computer, to take the time to transfer the rom into the cartridge, to switch the comp off and then to play the game on the Jag. To start again if you want to play an another game.

I use the Skunk of the few roms which are not burnable on CD like typically Project 1 and some Cyrano's ST ports which are supporting music.

The Jag CD can be the target of bad jokes like Lada for cars, it still the best option for me.

Edited by Felyx

If you compare the game libraries, the 3DO's is larger, more varied, and has more quality titles, and overall the system was taken far better advantage of. As was stated, it also has the advantage of playing CD-R's, which can help keep costs down when trying to otherwise acquire some of the harder to find titles.

• Like 3