IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs 3do

JazGaming

The reason I've never purchased a 3do is bc I have a Saturn & PS1 with access to many of the 3do stand outs as ports:

Gex

Total Eclipse

Return Fire

Wing Commander 3

Doom

Road Rash

Space Hulk

Shockwave Assault

D

Off World Interceptor

The Horde

Johnny Bazookatone

PO'ed

Alone in the Dark 2

... while there are still noteworthy 3do exclusives (& I'm sure I missed a few ports), that 80% or more of the 3do titles I'm interested in!

or a Pinto vs a Vega!

Finally, a comparison thread that compares the Jag against it's real contemporary instead of N64. 3DO vs Jag. Both overpriced junk that only collectors want and pay top dollar for! :P

How can you choose just one? Its like Ferrari or Lamborghini, which should I get??

No, that's PS1 vs N64! And maybe the Saturn is a Benze or Rolls Royce... :lol:

Finally, a comparison thread that compares the Jag against it's real contemporary instead of N64. 3DO vs Jag. Both overpriced junk that only collectors want and pay top dollar for! :P

Counterpoint. 3DO at $699 is overpriced. 3DO at $99 is actually a pretty darn good game system (with a nice library), particularly since it can also play CD-Rs. The Jaguar on the other hand is higher priced these and most of its software (whose quality is debatable as a whole) is on cartridge, which is also rather pricey.

• Like 1

Just looked. I had no idea Jaguar console where going for $120 these days! That's sold ebay listing not BIN. Wow. Mine was half that about 4 years ago.

Lol Austin, yeah I imagine there are a few subpars on that list. Going back to comparing libraries...

The 3DO has some decent looking console exclusives:

Luciennes Quest (wow @ price), D&D Slayer, Guardian War, Killing Time, Monster Manor, Captain Quazar, Alone in the Dark 1 (also on FM Towns)

Notice the RPGS on 3do. Jag does have Towers II.

• 3 months later...

Pretty much the same for me. I think they complement one-another nicely.

To the OP-- if you are really thinking about buying one or the other, there are a lot of different factors to keep in mind, things like overall price (the cost of the system, games, accessories), game selection/library, etc.

3DO

- The 3DO has a much larger library than the Jaguar. It also has Japanese imports which gives you even more options to choose from with some really neat exclusives over there.

- The 3DO can read rewritable discs and has no copy protection, so if saving money is important and you aren't averse to using backups, then the cost of the system and a spindle of CD-r discs will be the only up-front costs associated with it.

- The 3DO has more explicitly "32-bit era" games--lots of texture-mapped polygons, less games that look like 16-bit console ports. More PlayStation-esque games if you will.

- Compared to the Jaguar, the system excels at fighting games, adventure and "role playing" games, sim/strategy-type games, and open world/mission-oriented games.

- Compared to the Jaguar, the 3DO didn't excel at as many fast paced 2D games or arcade style games in general (fighters aside). Gex may be the only truly standout title in the 2D platforming genre, with Soccer Kid as a runner-up for that label. It doesn't really have many other worthwhile fast-paced arcade-like games in general, asides from maybe Captain Quazar. The system has no shmups to speak of (not counting the mini-game on "Fun 'n Games" and a rare Japan-only exclusive that plays like a fixed single-screen shooter), and the general pacing of many of its games you will find to be slower than what you will find on the Jaguar.

- If you are going for a complete/boxed system, the 3DO will likely cost you less for the console than a Jaguar will.

- The 3DO has a larger library, but many of these are made up of shovelware, edutainment software and generally rushed titles thanks to the fact that licensing costs to make a 3DO game back in the day was very cheap and there was no quality control. Thus, you have a lot of games created by companies with little experience in the industry at the time, and this means a lot of rushed titles that weren't even decent by early 1990's standards. The 3DO requires more digging and experimentation to find what appeals to you (I recommend sorting through forums and YouTube to see what you may like on the system), but overall there are probably more "good" titles on the system than titles in the Jaguar's library all together, if your gaming tastes are varied.

- The homebrew scene for the 3DO is nearly non-existent. There are a few folks toying around with it now, but the output hasn't been very good overall.

Jaguar

- The Jaguar has a much smaller library overall than the 3DO.

- The Jaguar doesn't have a cheap flash cart available in the vein of the Everdrives for other platforms, so you will most-likely be looking at having to physically acquire games for the system. Prices have been going up, particularly for the good games on the system, so acquiring a solid collection will not be cheap. Games like Rayman and Atari Karts in particular are very pricey. The Jaguar will be a greater investment overall.

- The polygonal games on the Jaguar will likely not impress. That's not to say its polygonal games are bad, it's all up to taste, but many of its 3D titles do rely on flat/shaded polygons. Its fully texture-mapped games run at a snails pace (like Hover Strike). Its 3D games also generally consist of similar fetch-style mission-oriented formulas--grab the pods (Cybermorph, I-War), blow up this building or tower (Iron Soldier, Hoverstrike), etc. If that sounds appealing to you, you may like or dislike these. Iron Soldier is probably the biggest/most noteworthy polygonal game on the system.

- Compared to the 3DO, the Jaguar excels at faster arcade-style games. Tempest 2000, Missile Command 3D, Defender 2000, Zoop, Power Drive Rally, Super Burnout, NBA Jam, Val D'Isere, Pinball Fantasies and Raiden are all good examples of arcade-style games that you don't have nearly as much of on the 3DO (speaking strictly of worthwhile ones, not games like Mazer on the 3DO). You also have more worthwhile 16-bit era style games. If games consisting of 2D sprites and visual trickery is appealing to you, the Jaguar may be the way to go.

- If you are going for a complete/boxed system, the Jaguar may cost you a little more than a 3DO, depending on the model 3DO you have your eyes set on.

- The Jaguar has an active homebrew scene. There are a lot of games released frequently and the output has been solid overall.

- Aftermarket releases can also still be had new from places like Songbird Productions. If money's not an issue, this opens up some more good releases like Protector, Total Carnage, etc.

This is worth to lift to top of topic,

And I'll like to add that

Jaguar

+has a living community, lots of posts every day (AA is a big forum, maybe spill over between the system discussions, dunno, or lots of by the book fans)

3DO

-a slow community, few posts at the

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=28

Yes, I do think they complement each other pretty well, in the pre-PS era.

I will add the 3do controller was to be desired in most games like way of the warrior their was a slight lag time i responce...the game looks great has rock and roll music from bands that where famous at the time...but the controll on most games is off...then you have to daisy chain for 2 players on up...4 player games are awfull so are 2 daisy chained.

Jag wins for controller.

In high school ('94) my best friend and I worked at a store called Video Game Exchange, a chain based out of Cleveland. While their focus at the time was Genesis and SNES, we did have a Jaguar and 3DO hooked up in-store which we were encouraged to play during slow periods. He was fascinated by the 3DO and eventually got a used unit. Being an Atarian, I gravitated to the Jaguar. We spent a lot of time with each system.

At the time, I appreciated the arcade feel and immediacy of the Jaguar games. Also, the FPS games on Jaguar (Doom, W3D and AVP) were generally stronger than those available on 3DO - though I have a soft spot for Escape from Monster Manor. On 3DO, I really like the space games - Total Eclipse, Rebel Assault (also on Sega CD), Shockwave and Wing Commander 3. The 3DO's use of texture mapping and the CD soundtracks felt more "next gen" at the time, although FMV was abused in many games. I liked both systems.

For someone collecting and gaming today, I don't think I could recommend a 3DO over Jaguar. The Jaguar is more expensive but there are so many unique gaming experiences that are exclusive to the platform. As some have pointed out, the best 3DO games were ported to Saturn and PSX. If I were going to start gaming 32-bit today, I would recommend one of those (a Saturn).

I disagree about the Jaguar controller "winning." The stock Jaguar controller is dreadful (the Pro controller is sublime, however), and there are no third party options. The 3DO has several third party controllers, a flight stick, light gun, etc. I'm not necessarily a fan of the daisy chaining aspects, but it is an easy way of supporting more than two players (not that there was much in the way of support for that). I'm also not sure about any lag. I've never experienced any, nor have I seen any notable reports of any.

In terms of libraries, sure, there's a lot of crapware on the 3DO, but there are still more and better games overall in the 3DO library even with all of those stripped out. Category for category, there are very few areas where the Jaguar distinguishes itself in comparison, and some categories where it's all or mostly absent. The cartridge format was no advantage for the Jaguar in this regard.

I agree if you stick to their good games 3do hands down is better than jaguar...we had the stock controllers on the goldstar unit and they where crappy stiff genesis controllers with shoulder buttons.

Their where adapters to use other controllers that helped.

I know that way of the warrior had lag time we felt at the time kasumi ninja on the jag was better. Madden football was good even though the clock ran to fast.

3do had the opposite problem vsjag they tried to hard for their games to be inovative and havetop of the line music and video with little time spent on game mechanics.

But the 3d0 had several enjoyable games samari showdown and street fighter 2 where arcade perfect. The horde and wing commander games where good.they had severalgame show games thst where fun. All the electronic arts games where good.

For someone collecting and gaming today, I don't think I could recommend a 3DO over Jaguar. The Jaguar is more expensive but there are so many unique gaming experiences that are exclusive to the platform. As some have pointed out, the best 3DO games were ported to Saturn and PSX. If I were going to start gaming 32-bit today, I would recommend one of those (a Saturn).

It's tit for tat.

Most of the Jags best games, equally, can be found on other platforms too (Wolf3D, Doom, Tempest2K, Rayman) but, like T2K, the best version is at home on the Jag. Similarly, most of the 3DO's flagship titles were better on the 3DO itself.

Like the Jaguar, it's still relevant in it's own right.

• Like 1

I purchased both at release. The must have title for the Atari Jaguar is Tempest 2000. It is a fantastic game.

For the 3DO, Super Street Fighter II was awesome. At the time, no console did it better. One of the FMV games that always captivated me to play was Psychic Detective.

As I grow older, I play video game consoles less. If I had to start now, I'd most likely get a 3DO: it is cheaper, the games are so unique for the time, and it is a fun console.

Best of luck, the journey is only yours.

• Like 1

The reason I've never purchased a 3do is bc I have a Saturn & PS1 with access to many of the 3do stand outs as ports:

Gex

Total Eclipse

Return Fire

Wing Commander 3

Doom

Road Rash

Space Hulk

Shockwave Assault

D

Off World Interceptor

The Horde

Johnny Bazookatone

PO'ed

Alone in the Dark 2

... while there are kstill noteworthy 3do exclusives (& I'm sure I missed a few ports), that 80% or more of the 3do titles I'm interested in!

The reason I never got a Saturn or playstation until about 98 was because I was an early adopter of the Jag, and when Atari went under I bought a 3DO in late 96 because many of the games slated for the Jag and Jag cd were on the 3DO. Once I had both I didn't feel the need to upgrade again for a while.

But my 3DO was only $99 when Saturn and PSX were still over $200. I also got a free game and controller. Ironically, I got my Jag during a special offer for free game and controller too. Also I was unaware of the 3DO also being a doomed system at the time.

To me the Jag and 3DO compiment each other. I say own both if you are into classic gaming. But at this point in time the 3DO is cheaper overall.

Edited by Gunstar

It is! Noticed that myself recently...kind of crazy all things considered.

That kinda makes it unique. The only readily available console version, which uses polygons rather than voxels.

Not to mention the Jaguar controller/keypad kick ass at this game. It just works great.

That kinda makes it unique. The only readily available console version, which uses polygons rather than voxels.

Not to mention the Jaguar controller/keypad kick ass at this game. It just works great.

Having RR on both I have done lots of comparing and they are earily similiar in most respects, even down to the audio track being out of sync with fmv(Programmers for both actually exchanged notes). I have found two differences; the 3DO version has grey backgrounds and use a fog effect to hide polygon pop-up and the Jag doesn't (draw distance is the same but polygons pop-up)but does have the original sky backgrounds with clouds etc. The second difference is control: the 3DO uses on-screen arrows and cursor for movement ( the jag has this option still) and the jag has the keypad for movement. This is far superior and alone sets the Jag version on top out of the two.

The effect in gameplay is drastic as on the 3DO you have to move the sluggish cursor between movement and weapon use and end up dead in between. With the Jag you can keep the cursor over weapons and still move/look around and combat is much easier.

I was actually disappointed when I first found out the Jag version was polygons instead of the original voxel engine, since the Jag does voxels so well, I was expecting an improved Falcon/Mac version. But it is one of the best direct comparisons with 3DO.

Edited by Gunstar

Thanks guys I eventually got a 3do and love it and may get a jag one day thanks again.

In retrospect should have gone the other way around. Getting a 3DO and then a jag is like getting an original Xbox and then getting an N64. Oh well, they can both be appreciated on their own merits :)

I do play my Jag more overall (and N64!)

Edited by travistouchdown

VS threads are just fine. The Jaguar is renowned for it's "untapped power". So it's very interesting to compare the Jaguar to other systems of the time. If you don't like the thread, don't click on it. If they're not trolling, don't accuse. kthxbai