IGNORED

Shenmue III and FF VII remake (finally)

cimerians

Does nobody else find it slightly tacky that they announced a major game at E3 and then you find out it's a Kickstarter game? (Nothing against those mind you.)

Also would like to preface my next part with this... I'll buy the Final Fantasy 7 Remake thing they are making, but...
Do we really want or need a remake of Final Fantasy 7? The game is pretty readily available to get and play on multiple platforms now.
Why remake something that was already great and so easy to get? I have this nagging feeling that a "remake" of the game will end up breaking apart what was great about the original.
Maybe they add in things that nobody really wants, and the worst thought... They'll change it. I'm not talking a minor change but something huge that could rival some of the other major changes.
You know how people reacted with all the changes to Star Wars... How will they react with this?

I guess in the end, I'd rather see a brand new game than a remake of an old one we've all already played before. Is that so wrong?

I don't think it was tacky, it definitely fueled the fire for their Kickstarter into overdrive in a very short period of time - it was kind of short lived and unusual maybe, he came out on stage to countdown and announced and then leave 20 seconds later lol. I'm actually surprised it's finally happening, doesnt' matter how it happens. Though when I think of Kickstarter I can't get the insanely massive backing of Star Citizen out of my head and the million dollar milestones they kept making. Dec 2017 is quite a long ways off though... and I agree that it's been such a long time since I've played the other two that I would kind of want to revisit thoughs again.

• Like 1

I fear Final Fantasy VII will be ruined, turned into some action crap not worth playing. Or worse, turned into the little league coach mechanics of FF13. Then there's the matter of voice actors. Finding good voices for characters so engraved in my mind is a tall order, and I've been watching Advent Children for a decade on top of that. It has a strong chance of Star Blazers: Bolar Wars syndrome.

• Like 1

I fear Final Fantasy VII will be ruined, turned into some action crap not worth playing. Or worse, turned into the little league coach mechanics of FF13. Then there's the matter of voice actors. Finding good voices for characters so engraved in my mind is a tall order, and I've been watching Advent Children for a decade on top of that. It has a strong chance of Star Blazers: Bolar Wars syndrome.

This is very very very much my worry. All the people who worked on the original FF7 are all but gone. I hope they don't change the combat system to something action/real time and leave the materia system alone. Remake it, but don’t FF13 it up please.

I don't think it was tacky, it definitely fueled the fire for their Kickstarter into overdrive in a very short period of time - it was kind of short lived and unusual maybe, he came out on stage to countdown and announced and then leave 20 seconds later lol. I'm actually surprised it's finally happening, doesnt' matter how it happens. Though when I think of Kickstarter I can't get the insanely massive backing of Star Citizen out of my head and the million dollar milestones they kept making. Dec 2017 is quite a long ways off though... and I agree that it's been such a long time since I've played the other two that I would kind of want to revisit thoughs again.

Agreed.

I don't think it was tacky at all, in fact I think it was genius, and actually a pretty big deal for Sony to have done this. Sony made a deal with Suzuki, if the game can hit this goal, then it means people want it, and we'll cover the rest.

I think this will actually change the way larger publishers will handle IP's that they're not sure about in a big way.

Agreed.

I don't think it was tacky at all, in fact I think it was genius, and actually a pretty big deal for Sony to have done this. Sony made a deal with Suzuki, if the game can hit this goal, then it means people want it, and we'll cover the rest.

I think this will actually change the way larger publishers will handle IP's that they're not sure about in a big way.

I hope your right, I've been waiting forever for all kinds of sequels. Onimusha is one of them.

Now that I've read into this more....I love the kickstarter route. The devs can ask people what they want to see in the game and the publisher steps in later to help publish it without getting in the way of what fans want.

I hope the FF7 battle system is left the exact same it was first time around. Just a really sexy modern FF7. New graphics, new cut scenes, voice acting and leave everything else the way it was. That is what made the game so iconic in the first place.

This is very very very much my worry. All the people who worked on the original FF7 are all but gone. I hope they don't change the combat system to something action/real time and leave the materia system alone. Remake it, but don’t FF13 it up please.

If the remake it to be anything resembling FF13 (aside from visuals), that will be one less game for me to buy. I also hope they don't muck around with the original story line.

And if they cannot hire good voice actors... don't bother. I can still read.

I'd love to see 7 release with fewer or no random battles and a camera that was a bit more forgiving. I wasted a lot of time because I simply could not see the area exits and the big arse red arrows or paths around the levels. I seem to remember the train yard being bad about that.

I really really liked the quirky music and sound effects for 7, though. I have a feeling that will be largely chopped for higher fidelity audio, though.

Edit: I remember liking Shenmue a lot for about 4 hours then just feeling like it was work. Maybe I'll have to give it another try.

Edited by omegadot

I wouldn't mind if they completely removed save points and put in a save anywhere or checkpoint system. I remember save points were spread apart a bit too far in FF7 for my liking.

Yes, I had to resort to just leaving the game on for extended periods of time to get through it most recently. The tension of save points is nice but at this point in my life it's basically game-breaking for me if they are too far apart.

• Like 1

WOW!!! Let me tell you news of both games totally stunned me. It really took me a couple of days to think things through, and this is from a guy who doesn't even own a PS4. First of all I am buying both games when they come out. Then I will start saving for more than likely used PS4 so I can play them on.

I really liked the FF7 trailer.

I will be disappointed if it is essentially a straight port with updated graphics. I hope they change the fuck out of it. New events, different battle system, etc. I have the original memorized so I am totally down for something fresh. The trailer makes me feel like they are going to focus on the darker, dystopian aspects of the FF7 universe and that makes me pretty happy. I also got a bit of a Parasite Eve vibe from the music. I think this game is going to rock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...