IGNORED

Starpath Supercharger cassette

• 2 weeks later...

I did some searching on ebay and here at atariage. I found a copy of frogger that was white with the number 100227288331, so that rules out frogger. I also found that the games Party Mix, and Rabbit Transit are white, as well as the mail order games Survival Island, and Sword of Saros. There's two prototypes that are listed for the supercharger as well, Labyrinth is white, but there wasn't a picture of the tape for Sweat.

So it could be any of these:

Party Mix, Rabbit Transit, Survival Island, Sword of Saros, Labyrinth, or Sweat

• Haha 1

Sweet. Thanks for taking your time. I'm looking to sell my collection. Do you know anybody who is looking to buy these? Of course the first three listed are the most rare and valuable.

Survival Island

Sword of Saros

Frogger

Plus the starcharger system

Plus 6 other of the starpath cassettes (none of which are duplicated

Plus about 20 cartridges from later games.

post-42736-0-34480200-1435633222_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice try but pretty certain that one is a fake. I checked my own Super Charger tapes for authenticity. Then I looked closely at the pictures of the rare SoS and SI that I took at the convention. The color and font on the numbers is different. Upper left side of the label usually has the company Logo is strangely faded, while the cassette appears new. And the most obvious mistake from this poor attempt at deception is the missing screws. All of the Supercharger tapes that I have ever seen, have five tiny screws holding it together. There are four at the corners and one in the middle bottom. The backside which conveniently doesn't have a label is lacking those screws. It also shows no residue where the title sticker would have been attached had it been for real. I rest my case.

Nice try but pretty certain that one is a fake. I checked my own Super Charger tapes for authenticity. Then I looked closely at the pictures of the rare SoS and SI that I took at the convention. The color and font on the numbers is different. Upper left side of the label usually has the company Logo is strangely faded, while the cassette appears new. And the most obvious mistake from this poor attempt at deception is the missing screws. All of the Supercharger tapes that I have ever seen, have five tiny screws holding it together. There are four at the corners and one in the middle bottom. The backside which conveniently doesn't have a label is lacking those screws. It also shows no residue where the title sticker would have been attached had it been for real. I rest my case.

I disagree. The side that doesn't have the label is the front side, and it looks like it does have the 5 screws. The faded label is the back-side label, where there are no visible screw holes, which is correct. The difference in fading is due to the materials; it's the same on all my supercharger carts. The white tape cases stay perfectly white, but the white labels have browned a bit over time.

I also don't really feel like there is much motive to fake a supercharger tape, especially one with no front label (which would essentially be worthless, unless there was some proof it was a prototype or something). And the ink run on the numbers makes it impossible to tell a "font difference". The color of the ink, non-lining up numbers, and somewhat sloppy print looks exactly like what I see on my Supercharger cassettes (some of which I purchased originally BITD).

I feel comfortable saying it looks 100% authentic to me. But it's probably just a copy of Rabbit Transit, per the date code. The front label adhesive probably dried up and the label likely just fell off, perhaps many years ago. Happens with end labels on carts all the time.

• Like 1

Well if the guy seriously had this expensive stuff and wanted to sell it, why hadn't he responded to the request for serial numbers. Sure the ones in the big picture look like the real deal even if quite blurry. Might have jacked it from someone on eBay or Craigslist. I also think the angle of picture seems a bit strange. Would like to check out the corners and punch holes. Those would also help identify it as being authentic. I never got those last three tapes though I love the system, I have a serach for eBay set up and hope to pick up a few units or cartridges when the price is right. Eventually I may find a Stella for less then $100 as I never heard they had a CD until I join the AA club.

Well if the guy seriously had this expensive stuff and wanted to sell it, why hadn't he responded to the request for serial numbers. Sure the ones in the big picture look like the real deal even if quite blurry. Might have jacked it from someone on eBay or Craigslist. I also think the angle of picture seems a bit strange. Would like to check out the corners and punch holes. Those would also help identify it as being authentic. I never got those last three tapes though I love the system, I have a serach for eBay set up and hope to pick up a few units or cartridges when the price is right. Eventually I may find a Stella for less then $100 as I never heard they had a CD until I join the AA club.

He already sold it, this was his auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261952037888. He had talked about how he acquired the stuff in other threads - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/136001-starpath-date-codes/?p=3259371 and about selling it http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231631-starpath-supercharger-complete-collection-for-sale-sold/?p=3269049

Yeah, I love the Supercharger and pick up anything I find for it when I come across something... would love to get those last 2 rare games, but I'm not paying ebay prices for them.

• Like 1

Just for the naysayers... The story behind my question was completely innocent. Although I grew up in the 70s I never knew about these. Wasn't a big video game kid (although I did own intellevision). My wife and I were out yard saleing a couple years ago and we saw a sign for a yard sale that lead us back to an old barn. The older gentlemen was having a "barn sale". We walked in, but it was mostly tools and tractor equipment etc. we almost left, but decided to look around a little since we were already there. In the back was a plastic bag in what seemed to be a pile of junk. I opened the back and recognized the atari cartridges in there (the pic I posted from June 29 was everything I found in the bag.), but didn't know what everything else was. As a matter of fact I thought the cassettes were audio stories like I used to have on record when I was a kid - like spiderman, pacman, etc. The old man told me I could have the bag for $5. I had just sold two restaurants and was planning on opening a "retro cafe" in which several "retro" items would be displayed on the walls. So I bought the bag with the intention of displaying the cartridges. The cafe never got opened (yet) and so the bag just sat in my bedroom until a few months ago a friend was over and I showed it to him. He didn't have any idea what the cassettes were either. When we began to do some research on them, I found that I might have struck a "diamond in the rough". I took them to a game shop in charlotte nc who verified and explained to me what they were. I'm not a gamer so I didn't have any use or interest in them so I found a fair value and sold the lot for about 70% of fair value just so I could put a little cash in my pocket and get rid of them quickly. If this is something you are into, then you probably would have loved this lot (pictured from June 29). Geez, when I asked the question a couple months ago, I was just asking because I was really neive about all this. But the person that bought them is very happy and I was happy to have some cash and a really cool story about a good find.

• Like 1

Just for the naysayers... The story behind my question was completely innocent. Although I grew up in the 70s I never knew about these. Wasn't a big video game kid (although I did own intellevision). My wife and I were out yard saleing a couple years ago and we saw a sign for a yard sale that lead us back to an old barn. The older gentlemen was having a "barn sale". We walked in, but it was mostly tools and tractor equipment etc. we almost left, but decided to look around a little since we were already there. In the back was a plastic bag in what seemed to be a pile of junk. I opened the back and recognized the atari cartridges in there (the pic I posted from June 29 was everything I found in the bag.), but didn't know what everything else was. As a matter of fact I thought the cassettes were audio stories like I used to have on record when I was a kid - like spiderman, pacman, etc. The old man told me I could have the bag for $5. I had just sold two restaurants and was planning on opening a "retro cafe" in which several "retro" items would be displayed on the walls. So I bought the bag with the intention of displaying the cartridges. The cafe never got opened (yet) and so the bag just sat in my bedroom until a few months ago a friend was over and I showed it to him. He didn't have any idea what the cassettes were either. When we began to do some research on them, I found that I might have struck a "diamond in the rough". I took them to a game shop in charlotte nc who verified and explained to me what they were. I'm not a gamer so I didn't have any use or interest in them so I found a fair value and sold the lot for about 70% of fair value just so I could put a little cash in my pocket and get rid of them quickly. If this is something you are into, then you probably would have loved this lot (pictured from June 29). Geez, when I asked the question a couple months ago, I was just asking because I was really neive about all this. But the person that bought them is very happy and I was happy to have some cash and a really cool story about a good find.

LOL...wow...your story is very similar to a find I made 15 years ago...in a barn of all places! See my post under "Wierdest place you found a video game for sale" in the Classic Gaming section.

Very cool !