IGNORED

Atari Lynx with nasty surprise inside...

Andromeda Stardust

I recently won this auction for an Atari Lynx.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Atari-Lynx-System-w-1-Game-Power-Supply-/271891175231

It does work, but inside I found a nasty surprise. 6 leaky batteries, heavy corrosion. Mix of Energizer and Duracell. Use by date of July '94! :o Seriously, a baby born on this date would be old enough to drink by next month. Seller made no mention of said corrosion in the description or photos. Did they even bother to open the battery compartment?

I want to clean this sucker up and rescue it from the dump, but I also want compensation for my efforts, ie partial refund. Before I pull out the vinegar and old toothbrushes, what do you guys recommend moving forward? I've not contacted them yet.

Pics...

post-33189-0-66636200-1434620966_thumb.jpg

post-33189-0-27188100-1434620973_thumb.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

they must have only been powering it from an AC adapter. Most likely they knew about the batteries. I would return it as the battery tabs are corroded and probably will fall apart soon. You can get a reconditioned one from Best Electronics for about $30 more than you paid for that one and know it will be in good shape.

Edited by mickcris

Before I found the batteries on the day it arrived, I plugged it in. The Lynx does work. The adapter is third party and it appears the plug is too short and it cuts off if I jiggle the Lynx. My original childhood Lynx did this, and I kept fresh batteries in it to prevent the power from cutting off.

Still a bit weird that the Lynx had batteries in it over 20 years old. When I first plugged it in, I noticed the Lynx was heavy so I checked the battery compartment and of course the crusty batteries wouldn't slide out.

I will contact the seller tomorrow. What should I say? I've also got some distilled vinegar at the grocery store. Haven't used it yet.

Edited by stardust4ever

I'll just use the battery tray from my old DEAD Lynx, grrr...

Lynx is still sitting out as I haven't attempted cleaning it yet. Needed to let it sit for a few days.

Yes, I've still put off contacting the seller. What should I say? Or should I just clean the system myself and leave poor/neutral feedback?

I can't imagine the guy not opening the battery bay for inspection. I'd of gladly paid 10-15 bucks for a crusty Lynx. 50 is a bit excessive given the condition though.

Edited by stardust4ever

Don't leave poor feedback without contacting a seller, at least give the person a chance to make it right. I've only had to leave negative feedback twice after being on EBay for around 20 years now. Most people seem to want to do the right thing if you point out an issue. Worst cast, you can escalate to EBay and you should be all set.

just open a case and explain what you think is fair compensation for the damage. if you and the seller don't agree ebay will review the case and determine the appropriate action. I always open a case rather than contact the seller directly as it achieves the same thing and you don't have to do any rehashing later.

Opening the case first however has a detrimental effect on seller's account. eBay doesn't rely on feedback or star rating, they use hidden system where it keeps track of cases opened, number of returns, etc. Defects can determine seller's ranking from low rank (whose search results are in the back, higher FVF, etc) to higher like power seller (favored search results, lower FVF)

I'd contact first to see what happens and if it sounds like seller is dragging the feet, open case.

I was unaware of that, but to be fair, unless the damage occurred while shipping you are basically wasting your time because the seller did not take his. if there are a lot of issues with the seller, there's probably a problem and it should affect their account (and you're just helping the system do what it was intended to do). Nobody should be making enough "honest mistakes" that it should accumulate to the point it sinks their status. especially things like this particular case where the system was clearly messed up.

I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. The vinegar works surprisingly well. The inside is now clean enough off eat off of, though I wouldn't recommend it. Battery terminals weren't terribly bad. Some of them shine now. :)

I played earlier tonight and put some new Rayovac batteries in it, and it works great. The outside of the unit is nearly flawless although the inside is pitted but you can't see it. I also shaved a small amount of plastic off the third party adapter tip because it wasn't deep enough to make a secure connection. Zero issues now.

I left neutral feedback with the seller. Had a time fitting what I wanted to say in 80 characters but I managed it. Two stars under item description citing damage. I the seller wants to know why I did what I did, I'll email him the pics.

Dude knew what was in there and failed to disclose the info. I can't imagine the seller not opening the battery bay on the Lynx to check.

Other than that, my Lynx is playing great. That said, I'm not quite as good as I remembered, LOL! Also Toki controls are reversed. A to spit, B to jump. :P

You really should have contacted the seller when you saw the problem. You definitely should have contacted the seller before leaving feedback.

I don't understand why you needed advice about what to tell him. You found batteries which were more than 20 years old in the system, which were corroded and had potentially damaged the system. That's what you respond with. You should have given the seller a chance to fix it.

• Like 1