IGNORED

PS2 Buying Guide & Great Games

Are you thinking of getting into PS2 collecting? This video explains the different models of Playstation 2, what to look for that tends to fail, some different controllers and 10 games we highly recommend to get you started!

What are the 10 PS2 Games a new collector should snag Day 1?

• Like 2

Day 1:

FF10 (I haven't played 12)

God of War 1 or 2

Devil May Cry 3

Sly Cooper 2 (or any of them)

Ratchet: Up Your Arsenal

Persona 3 or 4

Disgaea

Fatal Frame II

Yakuza 2

Onimusha 3 or 4

Hard for me not to have include these as well: REZ, Gitaroo Man, Mega Man X Collection, Klonoa 2, DQ VIII, Champions of Norrath and Drakan the Ancients' Gates.

As far as collecting there is some weird stuff out there: Flipnic, Dogs Life, Mr. Mosquito, Mad Maestro, Chulip, Trapt, Choro Q (a car RPG) and its "sequel" Road Trip.

I got a little over 600 PS2 games so I should be able to chime in here. My top ten consists of mainly the 2 best in each genre

Transformers(2004)

Racing

---------

Burnout 3 Takedown

Gran Turismo 4

honorable mentions:Need for speed Hot Pursuit, Need for speed underground 1 & 2, NFS Carbon and Most Wanted, Kinetica, Crazy taxi, Crash nitro kart, Midnight Club 3, ATV offroad fury 4, Sonic Riders, Micro Machines v4

Sports

--------

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

SSX Tricky

honorable mentions: Hot Shots Golf, Blitz the league, MLB Slugfest, NBA Street,

Metal Gear Solid 3

Yakuza

Hack N slash

----------------

Devil may cry 3

Kingdom Hearts 2

honorable mentions: Onimusha 3, Dynasty Warriors(any), Prince of persia warrior within,Maximo ghosts to glory,Blood will tell, Castlevania sands of darkness

Adventure

-------------

Okami

(hard to choose a 2nd one so...)

honorable mentions:Ratchet and clank, Ico, Shadow of the colossus, Lego Star wars, Lego batman, katamari Damacy, Tomb Raider legends, Tak, Ty the Tasmanian tiger, Klona, Jak 3, Viewtiful Joe, Sly cooper

FPS:

------

Star wars battlefront

Quake 3 Arena

honorable mentions: Area 51, 007 Goldeneye rogue agent, Timesplitters 2, Red fraction 2, Black, Killzone, Project Snowblind, Deus XIII,Tribes, Warhammer 40,000 fire warrior,Killer 7, Star Trek Voyager, Judge Dredd vs Death

RPG's:

---------

Final Fantasy X

honorable mentions:....................................... :lol: don't ask me!

Edited by TheObscureGamer

• 3 weeks later...

I have a PS2 slim, and I have to say, it's a great system. I don't have many games for it, but for not being tested when I got it, it worked like a charm. Great games at good prices...but are the games hard to find for the most part, though? Are they relatively easy to come by at, for example, flea markets, second-hand stores, etc? I haven't picked up anything for it in a good long time.

They are getting more scarce where I live. Best places for me to buy are used book\electronic\video stores and thrift shops. Ebay is ok I guess depending on the seller of course. A few times I got a game listed as "like new" and the only thing "like new" about it was the game CD. Manual and box were shit. "Like new" my ass.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the multi port games (Monopoly Party, Hulk, etc) were better on the PlayStation 2 if you ask me.

Sold a few games that I had on the Gamecube that I could get for the PS2 (Excluding Sonic Heroes) and I'll swipe those for PS2 releases if I see them.