IGNORED

Season 13 Round 3 - Ghosts 'n Goblins

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 3 of the 13th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This round we are playing Ghosts 'n Goblins.

This round ends on Sunday, July 5th.

http://youtu.be/TO8aWqSffLU

Title: Ghosts 'n Goblins
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom/Nintendo
Released: November 1986
Rules: Please don't just camp out and "point press". You should be trying to beat the game, not standing in one spot milking it for points.

Scores So Far

Current Standings

1. DonPedro 43
2. bubufubu 25
3. roadrunner 24
4. S.BAZ 23
5. asponge 20
6. Jibbajaba 18
7. cparsley 15
8. jblenkle 14
9. darthkur 4

Edited by Jibbajaba

usually this is about as far as it goes for me

rarely, I can get past the trolls & double-giant & then get stuffed in those blue caves.

(currently getting denied uploading pics so none for now)

post-34560-0-09836900-1435467827_thumb.jpg

Edited by S.BAZ

post-41089-0-13618700-1435197675_thumb.png

Notes:

I beat the game. I collected all the 1-Up icons only once in each loop (a total of 6). I point pressed on stages 1 and 3 in both loops. I figured that would be ok since there's a timer. I died several times, most of which were unintentional. I think it was only once or twice that I let the clock run out on purpose. I had 4 lives remaining upon completion but didn't want to press my luck with stage 6.

Jibbajaba, if you or anyone else here feels that this entry shouldn't be allowed, then I'll remove it and do another run. Just let me know what you don't agree with in regards to my strategy. If you wanna take the Twin Galaxies route and limit the player to 5 lives total, then that would be fine with me. I think that I died 6 or 7 times, but I'm not certain.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifGhosts 'n Goblins (579,100 Points).png

Notes:

I beat the game. I collected all the 1-Up icons only once in each loop (a total of 6). I point pressed on stages 1 and 3 in both loops. I figured that would be ok since there's a timer. I died several times, most of which were unintentional. I think it was only once or twice that I let the clock run out on purpose. I had 4 lives remaining upon completion but didn't want to press my luck with stage 6.

Jibbajaba, if you or anyone else here feels that this entry shouldn't be allowed, then I'll remove it and do another run. Just let me know what you don't agree with in regards to my strategy. If you wanna take the Twin Galaxies route and limit the player to 5 lives total, then that would be fine with me. I think that I died 6 or 7 times, but I'm not certain.

Well, I did put in the rules that people should not "point press". If you're saying that you camped out in the graveyard and wasted zombies until the timer ran out and you died, then in my opinion that goes against what I said in the rules. Ultimately it's up to everyone else to decide. The thing is, we could all just do exactly what you did, but for me at least that takes the fun out of playing the game because I don't want to have to camp out for several minutes point-pressing each time I play through the game.

That being said, hats off to you for beating the game.

On at least one occasion, I did camp out in the first section of the graveyard and let the timer expire. I believe I also did this once on the first section of stage 3. Those are the only two instances I can recall. My strategy for the other times was to let the timer get as close to possible to hitting all zeroes before I moved on to the next section without dying.

If you're more interested in seeing how far any of us can get, then that's cool. Personally, I get more joy out of a points run. I have beaten the game many times, so I've gotten bored with that goal.

attachicon.gifGhosts 'n Goblins (579,100 Points).png

Notes:

I don't care what you did dude, but with a run like that through Ghosts n Goblins you are a beast man!! Hell of a job man and Congrats!! :)

On at least one occasion, I did camp out in the first section of the graveyard and let the timer expire. I believe I also did this once on the first section of stage 3. Those are the only two instances I can recall. My strategy for the other times was to let the timer get as close to possible to hitting all zeroes before I moved on to the next section without dying.

If you're more interested in seeing how far any of us can get, then that's cool. Personally, I get more joy out of a points run. I have beaten the game many times, so I've gotten bored with that goal.

Well, I'm just going to leave it up to people to play the game however they want, then. If someone wants to make a serious run at your score, then they can just go ahead and point press.

I'm going to have to side with our Mod with the no camping stipulation. That makes a game become drudgery.

That was my whole point. I't just sucks the fun out of the game. But it sounds like bubufubu can beat the game with his eyes shut, so for him the fun is in trying to milk the game for maximum possible points. Bubu, just do it both ways. I doubt we'll be able to beat either score, anyway.

post-36127-0-32006500-1435269157_thumb.png

Re: camping and point pressing in games with timed stages.

I'm ok with it if it's done like for example in Metal Slug or Shock Troopers games, where a player can rush through stages or proceed carefully - more enemies will appear in some places then, but there's a finite number of them and you are prompted to proceed further after a while. So it's a risk / reward thing.

For games where you can just camp and kill infinitely respawning enemies, that's a grey area - I don't think it technically can be considered point whoring / leeching etc, due to time limit; but it's just boring and I'd rather not do it.

I suck at this particular game (and the whole series) and would probably get a better score if I just camped right at the beginning and let the timer run out 3 times, but that would just feel really stupid.

Anyway, impressive run, bubufubu, point pressing or not. :thumbsup:

awesome, maybe someday I'll beat Ghosts 'N' Goblins!

to me point-pressing seems fine when there is a timer (like the jumping next to Donkey Kong thing).

letting the timer run out, die & repeat, that makes it a grey area, imo. but even that sounds like it might be OK for Ghosts 'N' Goblins, considering there are a limited number of extra lives available, so it can only be done a few times. but only if you can't keep getting extra lives

if it's possible to collect the same 1-up more than once, then of course that's not fair but as long as you don't do that point-pressing seems fine by me.

Excuse the slightly off-topic subject matter, but as it happened when I was trying to play Ghosts 'N Goblins I will post it here. I haven't used my real hardware in quite sometime. When I plugged it in, inserted my Ghosts 'N Goblins cart and turned the power on, I got rolling black and white bars on the screen. Anyone know what is causing this? (see photo)

post-9212-0-49428500-1435357189_thumb.png

That's pretty strange. I've never seen an Nes do something like that before. Is it only with Ghosts n Goblins?

As far as my score goes so far it's 38,500. I will try to do better and post a picture later. I've never even come close to beating this game. I am a lot better at the easier Genesis one.

No, it does it with all my games. To me it looks like some kind of power problem. My Atari 8-bit computer gave a similar display when I accidently plugged a bad power supply into it. But I've tried an alternate power supply and it does the same thing.

Looking around on the Internet, everything seems to reference a bad or corroded 72 pin connector and recommends cleaning or replacement. But this just doesn't look like a connector problem. I suppose I'll have to take the thing apart so I can get a good look, but I'm not very skilled at doing such things.

That's pretty strange. I've never seen an Nes do something like that before. Is it only with Ghosts n Goblins?

As far as my score goes so far it's 38,500. I will try to do better and post a picture later. I've never even come close to beating this game. I am a lot better at the easier Genesis one.