IGNORED

C64 with white keys and white rubber feet..

labels

They were fairly common in Europe (not in the UK, oddly). IIRC, they were manufactured along with a similar model, the C64G *after* the release of the C64C.

I'm not sure how big the German company Aldi was back then, but these days, it's a Europe-wide "stack-em-high, sell-em-cheap" supermarket which sells just about everything from pallets on the shop floor. By everything, I mean tinned-peas to PCs and leaf-blowers!

The C64C didn't sell in the same numbers as the breadbox C64 on its release in Germany, so Commodore re-launched the breadbox style case with a White keyboard and 3v 8580 SID chip.

I own a C64G but I don't know if there are differences between it and the Aldi model and I have to admit, I love the look and styling of these German White/Grey/Cream Breadboxes.

Edited by UKRetrogamer

That is not a C64G. That is either an original breadbox with first generation C64C keyboard installed, or possibly an Aldi. You can see the difference that later C64C and C64G keyboards have the graphics printed on top of the keys, while the brown breadbox and first generation white C64C keyboards still had the graphics on front of the keys. Apparently the Aldi belongs to this category as well, which I thought it didn't until I looked up some pics.

The guy currently manufacturing new keycaps noted that in order to print graphics both on top and on the front of the keys makes it more expensive, but thanks to he reached a milestone in the crowdfunding, customers can opt to have keys printed in the original style. Apparently Commodore themselves also were cutting costs in the late 1980's and therefore changed the layout.

Either that is an Aldi, or something homemade by a user or repair shop who replaced the keyboard for another one. For that matter, I've got two VIC-20's with C64C keyboards, however the newer design with all symbols printed on top of the keys.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

That is not a C64G. That is either an original breadbox with first generation C64C keyboard installed, or possibly an Aldi. You can see the difference that later C64C and C64G keyboards have the graphics printed on top of the keys, while the brown breadbox and first generation white C64C keyboards still had the graphics on front of the keys. Apparently the Aldi belongs to this category as well, which I thought it didn't until I looked up some pics.

I think you may have mis-read my post. I never said the OP's picture showed a C64G.

I've highlighted the part of my post you may have misunderstood.

They were fairly common in Europe (not in the UK, oddly). IIRC, they were manufactured along with a similar model, the C64G *after* the release of the C64C.

Please read my posts PROPERLY before "correcting" me in future. Thank you.