IGNORED

Alien vs Predator vs Goldeneye

JazGaming

AvP was really cool and advanced for its time. So was GoldenEye. However AvP had multiple roles to play as while GoldenEye had a 3d environment. AvP had the keypad with the Jaguar which made switching weapons much easier. GoldenEye had much more varied environments. I do not want to count the multiplayer in GoldenEye since it almost literally didn't exist when AvP came out and it was an afterthought when the developers made it.

Edited by JazGaming

Loved Goldeneye!! I was flatout addicted to that game from 1997-2000. I spent countless hours trying to beat the target times in certainstages to activate the cheat codes, and see which one I got. That 2:05 in Facility on 00 Agent was brutal!! I finally achieved it in early 1999 and was the last one I got. Dr. Doak whom you received the door decoder from plays a crucial part as he appeared randomly throughout. The multiplayer mode was fantastic. I loved the facility as well and used remote mines. I was a grade A absolute dickhead :lol: as I knew how to get up the vents from the toilet and place remote mines all in there in case someone died and spawned up there. Double kills. I always got "Most dishonorable". I also enjoyed placing remote mines under the soldiers feet and setting them off. They did some hilarious flips. Especially stairways are the best. That was the main reason I bought my N64 back in 1997 is because of Goldeneye.

• Like 3

I do not want to count the multiplayer in GoldenEye since it almost literally didn't exist when AvP came out and it was an afterthought when the developers made it.

I don't think this is at all "fair." Multiplayer add-ons were on a number of consoles. Years before AvP or GoldenEye, I remember playing 4-player Super Off Road on NES. Warlords was 4 player and came out in what, 1980?

It frankly doesn't matter if something is an afterthought of the developers when it goes on to make history. GoldenEye multiplayer is downright legendary and there isn't even a contest between the two games.

• Like 6

I do not want to count the multiplayer in GoldenEye since it almost literally didn't exist when AvP came out and it was an afterthought when the developers made it.

"Almost literally" is one of the better phrases I've seen on the Jaguar forum.

My vote (though there are users who consider this trolling since I'm not saying AvP rules!@#!) is that Goldeneye is a better game.

• Like 2

Alien vs. Predator for me. When Goldeneye came out I had a friend who lived with a couple of roommates who loved the game. Every time I would go over there they wanted to play 4-player deathmatch or whatever Goldeneye called it. I don't know how, but I won just about every single match we ever played. I never really wanted to play it, but I was always out voted.

I never really enjoyed playing with 4-players so I never even tried solo. I am sure some people will call me an idiot, or for letting nostalgia affect me, for choosing the Jaguar game over the Nintendo game, but so be it.

Edited by jeremiahjt

It was a joke...

Sorry, I thought comparing Mega Man & Rayman in my post was even more ludicrous... thus making my sarcasm quite clear.

I suppose not. In all seriousness, this what I really want to know:

Jaguar vs. Jaguar. Which is better, the 64-bit Atari Jaguar or a Jaguar XF auto with a V6 diesel engine?

• Like 2

Since this place rates being cleverboy you should go for the car, sell it and buy Atari Jaguar and save the rest for bad times.

My long run plan was actually to sell it in a few years, or I could always sell my Magnavox pong machine.

Edited by JazGaming

Sorry, I thought comparing Mega Man & Rayman in my post was even more ludicrous... thus making my sarcasm quite clear.

I suppose not. In all seriousness, this what I really want to know:

Jaguar vs. Jaguar. Which is better, the 64-bit Atari Jaguar or a Jaguar XF auto with a V6 diesel engine?

It's 64 vs 6. Clearly the Atari Jaguar wins by 10.6667 times. I did the math.

• Like 5

Objectively, Goldeneye probably has more going for it, but as I "skipped" that generation of console, I can't seem to play the damn thing going back to it. AVP turning left-right and holding a button to strafe is OK, and so is the modern dual-stick layout for a standard FPS -- but something about in-between makes it hard for me to even beat the first level. My fault, not the game's.

"Almost literally" is one of the better phrases I've seen on the Jaguar forum.

My vote (though there are users who consider this trolling since I'm not saying AvP rules!@#!) is that Goldeneye is a better game.

"troll" accusations probably have more to do with the fact that a hefty amount of your posts are aimed at passive aggressively cutting down people who make unrealistic claims about an old toy they enjoy on a forum designed to celebrate said toy. Maybe I'm a troll too now. Maybe we're all trolls.

• Like 1

I think AVP was a touch more unique while Goldeneye was more of a refinement of FPS conventions at the time. This gave goldeneye the mass appeal and the edge when it boiled down to gameplay.

I think they both had similar impact on the franchises they represented. They were uncharacteristically good film franchise to game translations that spurred several subsequent games in the series modeled after them.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 3

My only comment on both would be i really missed the features that were dropped from both had actually made it:Face Mapping via GB Camera in GoldenEye and using Lynx as a motion tracker in AVP..as i love 'gimmicks' like this in games, espically when they've the potential to add an extra level to the exp.

Fully appreciate why the camera/mapping of faces was dropped though.

Would of loved to have seen Aliens C.M appear on Wii U and use 2nd screen as a motion tracker, but then main game itself needed a lot more work, let alone gimmicks being added.

Goldeneye hasn't aged well and looks ugly as sin in still screen shots. AVP still looks kinda cool.

I am seeing this sentiment more and more and it makes me quite happy.

NINTENDO64-GoldenEye-007_Dec2-16_30_51.j

I mean, the image above, from Goldeneye, has always looked freakin' awful. From day 1.

Throughout digital tech, there are certain approaches that I didn't think would age well -- N64 was a prime candidate with Mario 64 and Goldeneye being clear examples.

I won't digress here, but the best writeup on this phenomenon is an amazing essay called A Pixel Artist Renounces Pixel Art.

Back to the topic, Alien vs. Predator has some clear framerate problems but I think the story, the graphics, and the sound evoke a time and place that has aged well. Kind of like how Missile Command (arcade), Zelda (NES), and Castlevania IV (SNES) aged well before it.

Edited by Schmudde

If only Goldeneye had the high resolution graphics of AvP:

s_AlienVsPredator_7.jpg

I think we've discussed it here before, but yes, early 3D games, for the most part, haven't aged well. I'm an N64 collector and nearly every time I revisit the system the thing I'm reminded of the most is how poor early 3D "cameras" were. Sure there were texture limitations on the N64 and some other issues, but the camera is the one thing that always sticks out to me. Visually speaking, I think plenty of 2D pixel art still holds up today. One aspect of early 3D I miss is flat shaded polys, there was something about that style that I really found appealing. Even going way back to 4D Boxing or Stunts on the PC, I really dug that primitive style.

• Like 5

If only Goldeneye had the high resolution graphics of AvP:

No doubt, the Space Marine sprite has aged particularly poorly. Especially when you compare them to Imp sprites from Doom on the same system.

But the point isn't 'high resolution.' The point is never resolution because resolution will continue to improve. The point is design choices within the parameters given. That's what makes Missile Command, Zelda, and Castlevania IV beautiful games. I would probably put Doom in that list as well, now that I mention it.

Probably no need to clarify that; you're basically saying the same things about early 3D games. The flat shaded polys have their strengths. I'll take the Virtua Fighter figures over some of the mangled humans in Goldeneye. Not that it's a fair comparison -- completely different games with completely different objectives. Just sayin'.