IGNORED

Will the new Destiny DLC be worth $40?

YarsRevengeFan

I read that the new Destiny DLC will cost $40. That's how much I paid for the game right before Christmas! That being said, do you think the new DLC will be with $40?

I think if there is more single player or Fireteam story and missions, then it might be worth it. Personally, I don't play Crucible, so I have been a bit disappointed with the lack of story with the last 2 DLC.

However, there are new subclasses for all Gaurdian classes, and of course new armor and gear, so maybe that's worth the price?

What say you?

Considering they charged 20 bucks for House of Wolves and The Dark Below yes its probably worth it to Destiny fans since it's around double the content.

It also depends on the type of player you are:

Old and Current player: Must buy.

Newbie: Great deal, possibly a must buy if you love Bungie's style of FPS.

Old player who quit: Not worth it.

I agree with this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/06/21/destinys-the-taken-king-has-to-bring-lapsed-players-back-into-the-fold/

I'm still sick of this game to a degree since I've spent hundreds of hours on it but I'm definitely buying the expansion since I never really 'quit'. Things looked bleak for a while (I stopped playing for a few months) but I really like what they did with House of Wolves.

I'm still sick of this game to a degree since I've spent hundreds of hours on it but I'm definitely buying the expansion since I never really 'quit'. Things looked bleak for a while (I stoppped playing for a few months) but I really like what they did with House of Wolves.

I agree, I am getting pretty tired of the "rinse and repeat" aspect of the game. It's gotten to the point now that I have turned the in-game music off, and put my headphones on, plugged into my mp3 player while I grind away on the daily and weekly missions. Sometimes the strikes can be fun. However, if I see that I will be playing the strike with the Scion Flayers on Mars, I immediately jump out, cause that strike takes WAY too long.

I also agree with the article you linked. I stopped playing a while back once Evolve came out, and when I got back into playing Destiny with my brothers (who play it quite a bit) I was really disenchanted with how much grinding I had to do in order to get decent weapons or ammo just to somewhat keep up with them and not get smoked as many times.

Edited by YarsRevengeFan
  • Like 1

@ Cimerians - Thanks for the link! What a bunch of crap that to get "exclusive" content, you have to re purchase most of what you already have!

Here is more fleecing of Destiny players for ya:

http://kotaku.com/new-destiny-quest-is-exclusive-to-red-bull-1713588960

Here is more fleecing of Destiny players for ya:

http://kotaku.com/new-destiny-quest-is-exclusive-to-red-bull-1713588960

Red Bull, really? They want me to buy a can for that? Activision has the business suits to pull these deals together but it makes me sick.

I wish Bioware and Bungie didn't have to hook up with leech publishers EA and Activision to sell their games. Its a huge money safety net to hook up with a publisher but it always makes me wonder if they really need them. We're talking Bioware and Bungie...they should self publish like Bethesda.

I'm so glad I'm not interested in Destiny. Just think, when they're done milking the fans, they can just turn off the servers, leaving you with a 140 (likely much more than that by the time they're done.) dollar coaster.

I suppose I should thank them for making it online-only, as that alone killed any desire for me to get it. The review of the content (or relative lack thereof) of the base game would have killed it even if you could play it (offline) single player though.

I'm so glad I'm not interested in Destiny. Just think, when they're done milking the fans, they can just turn off the servers, leaving you with a 140 (likely much more than that by the time they're done.) dollar coaster.

I suppose I should thank them for making it online-only, as that alone killed any desire for me to get it. The review of the content (or relative lack thereof) of the base game would have killed it even if you could play it (offline) single player though.

Its good you didn't. I've got a few friends who I game with otherwise I'd never have gone back to this, so technically I'm still playing off and on for a strike or a raid, or to help someone new.

It's a love/hate thing with this game. Its the first of its kind....an FPS MMO. Its got great gameplay and that slot machine type addictive quality but its also a huge time sink with various "issues". A lot of it has been cleaned up but its best to just not even touch the game if you haven't already.

I think it was a big mistake partnering with a publisher like Activision.

One of the best comments I saw was something like: "Just add Call of Duty to Destiny's title, and you get Activision's business model!".

That is a true statement when you think about it, $20 DLC, soft drink exclusive codes, etc. So should the blame for this be put on Bungie, or Activison?

Here's some answers, mostly. This sounds much better especially for existing year one players:

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13090

@Cimerians, thanks for the link, old chum! :)

Let me get this straight. If you want just the "digital content" from the Collector's Edition (some armor shaders, dance moves, etc.) that will cost your $20.

If you want to buy "The Taken King" as a stand alone digital download, that is $40. So to get both, I would be paying the same price that I had originally paid for not only the base game itself, but also BOTH DLCs so far. :( IMO, they should have the digital content in micro transactions format. I may pay for new emotes if cheap enough, but probably not for clothing accessories (forget what they are called).

And this line to me was a bit amusing in regards to the VIP stuff for first year players: " When you stride through the tower, people are going to ask where you got those wonderful toys."

Um, do you mean anyone in my personal fireteam that has chat turned on and a mic? Anyone on my friends list has been playing since Day 1, and they aren't going to ask because they will have them as well. :sad:

@Cimerians, thanks for the link, old chum! :)

Let me get this straight. If you want just the "digital content" from the Collector's Edition (some armor shaders, dance moves, etc.) that will cost your $20.

If you want to buy "The Taken King" as a stand alone digital download, that is $40. So to get both, I would be paying the same price that I had originally paid for not only the base game itself, but also BOTH DLCs so far. :( IMO, they should have the digital content in micro transactions format. I may pay for new emotes if cheap enough, but probably not for clothing accessories (forget what they are called).

And this line to me was a bit amusing in regards to the VIP stuff for first year players: " When you stride through the tower, people are going to ask where you got those wonderful toys."

Um, do you mean anyone in my personal fireteam that has chat turned on and a mic? Anyone on my friends list has been playing since Day 1, and they aren't going to ask because they will have them as well. :sad:

The pricing still stinks your right. I'm not sure what they are promising to give us existing players...they keep saying "we'll let you know" but at least they aren't locking everything away in the $80 package.

Anyway worst comes to worst I'll just be getting the expansion by itself. Don't really care for the swag and emotes etc....

I found this Activision/Bungie contract online

http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Bungie-Activision_Contract

also the full contract:

http://documents.latimes.com/bungie-activision-contract/

Dont have the time to look through it but one day I will, just to see how some of these deals work.

• 1 month later...

Here are some new updates to The Fallen King you may or may not have heard about:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/08/04/destiny-the-taken-king-redesigns-leveling-from-one-to-forty-4682.aspx

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/13/two-new-changes-revealed-for-destiny-the-taken-king?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Blogroll

I am really happy to hear about the overhaul to the player ranking system. It really sucks having to be stuck on a level just because you can get a better piece of loot to drop.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought since I asked the question before the release, I should weigh in again...

Yes, it was totally worth the $40 to me!

I love the improvements Bungie made in the game, in particular, the "skip" cut scene function. I love the humor that the Hunter Vanguard Cayde has, cracks me up.
So far, I have two of my three characters at level 40 (Titan & Warlock) and need to level up my Huntress.

There should be enough content to keep me happy until November, then Fallout 4 will be my new obsession! I will more than likely get the season pass as well.

Not really digging the new Ghost voice though, I kinda miss my Dinklebot. :-(

Thought since I asked the question before the release, I should weigh in again...

Yes, it was totally worth the $40 to me!

I love the improvements Bungie made in the game, in particular, the "skip" cut scene function. I love the humor that the Hunter Vanguard Cayde has, cracks me up.

So far, I have two of my three characters at level 40 (Titan & Warlock) and need to level up my Huntress.

There should be enough content to keep me happy until November, then Fallout 4 will be my new obsession! I will more than likely get the season pass as well.

Not really digging the new Ghost voice though, I kinda miss my Dinklebot. :-(

Yeah I liked Dinklebot better....never could figure out why anyone complained. Its a bot. It only says a sentence or less of anything. It's not like he had this huge script and featured role. Kind of like complaining about R2D2. No point to it. Oh well they changed it because people complained so damn much.

Anyway Taken King is a breath of fresh air. So much better. The year long beta is finally over.

:P