IGNORED

Horizon Zero Dawn

cimerians

I'm not sure how much RPG elements are in it but I first read about it here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-horizon-zero-dawns-incredible-balance-of-action-and-rpg

'According to the studio, the single-player, completely open-world (meaning that anywhere you see, you can go) action-RPG falls halfway on the spectrum between the action-oriented open world games that Ubisoft has been producing for the past 7 years, and the most RPG-focused adventures that Bethesda works on.'

Looks and sounds great, hopefully it plays great.

A stark contrast to Arcania which I ended up buying for the heck of it. Its pretty awful for most people who would try and play it, but I like it. Its a guilty pleasure. :P

I haven't tried the patched version of FFXV, I've been meaning to go back to it to check on the improvements they made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm considering getting this but I need to take a serious look at the work I have coming up because I said the same thing about Hitman a couple months ago and have barely put 30 minutes in it up to now.

I wasn't even interested in getting the game before, but the reviews are definitely head turning. Interesting to note that USgamer gave it a 2.5 out of 5. The site is taking a lot of flack for it which I find funny since the game isn't even out yet so what do those people have worth defending? Sometimes 'gamer culture' is so toxic, it's disturbing.

I'm considering getting this but I need to take a serious look at the work I have coming up because I said the same thing about Hitman a couple months ago and have barely put 30 minutes in it up to now.

I wasn't even interested in getting the game before, but the reviews are definitely head turning. Interesting to note that USgamer gave it a 2.5 out of 5. The site is taking a lot of flack for it which I find funny since the game isn't even out yet so what do those people have worth defending? Sometimes 'gamer culture' is so toxic, it's disturbing.

There's always a couple of sites who give crazy outlier scores. Some speculate they do it as clickbait. But if that's true gamers would do best to ignore them, but nope, they fall for the bait everytime :D

Fanboys will console war over every aspect of a system, including which system has the games with the highest metacritic scores. That's why some get so threatened by low scores for big-name exclusives, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up picking this up over the weekend. I'm really enjoying it. It plays a bit like the Witcher III.

I tried multiple times to get it to work on my PS4 Pro and finally gave up on the 4th crash and just went with my original PS4. This appears to be a known problem with a small number of machines, Pro and regular versions. There was a 1.03 update out this morning, but I probably won't try the Pro again until next weekend and see if reports say it's fixed yet.

How do you figure? Cause the protagonist is a chick? Tumblr is probably in a rage there's white folks in the game dressed in native American style garb. So.... Yeah

There actually is a controversy about "Native American cultural appropriation" that the developers recently had to respond to, lol.

But in general, I don't feel like this game is really pushing any sort of agenda, it's just telling a story. Yes Aloy's tribe is run by a matriarchy and worships a goddess, but there is an interesting reason for that which I won't spoil. This matriarchy isn't exactly enlightened and they cast people out of the tribe for trivial offenses, so it's not like the game is a ringing endorsement for this form of government, lol. Other tribes have other forms of government. They are just plot points and don't come across as a political statement,

This is being compared favorably to the open world Zelda game -- though it's got a lot more going on technically. I'm interested, but I can only play one massive epic at a time, so I'll wait for a price drop. Or until I finish Zelda. Ha, ha. Like that's gonna happen.

It's only really getting compare to Zelda because they released within days of each other. There are probably more differences than similarities.

Finished the game this week...and it's one of the few games I can remember where I didn't want it to end at 40 hours. It feels like a mix of the newer Tomb Raider games in control, combat and exploration with Mass Effect-like dialog. Really, really loved it. And those amazing GRAPHICS on a 4K HDTV with the PS4 Pro... WOW!

• Like 3

Yep taking my time with this one (because I know it can be completed in 40 hours or so). I haven't been this immersed in a game since Xenoblade Chronicles X. As with XCX, it isn't just the story or the world or the characters. It's the combat, which is way more tactical than you'd expect and doesn't seem to get old. A million miles away from a massively overpowered stealth archer build on the bug-fest that is Skyrim. Which to be fair I've played through twice so it's not like I can't overlook such things ;) But Horizon ups the game by a huge degree.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Loved this game! It was the first game I played on my PS4 Pro and it looked so good that it has spoiled other games for me. I beat both the regular game and the DLC. Beat it at level 34 but the last part of the game was not easy. Decided to get everything in the game including the Shadow Weaver outfit. Decided to try to beat the game again just for fun at level 54 and it was a cake walk. The first time I won at 34, I had to use all my healing items. At 54 with the Shadow Weaver and the best weapons, I only had to use one minor heal as I REKD everything.

Really looking forward to the sequel to see how this awesome story progresses. I think Sylens is going to be the bad guy and I think Faro is going to show up somehow.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I too finally started playing the complete edition just this past weekend. I've had it in my collection for a while but just didn't have the time to get started. I haven't played a game where I couldn't wait to get home from work to get back to it in a very long time! And this game is really quite something. I'm not very good with the combat aspects, at least not up close so I'm likely to always be a ranged sniper type in my play on this. But I love tossing rocks to get groups of grazers together along with some watchers and then light up a Grazer's blaze container with a fire arrow and watch the carnage! I need to figure out how to use the traps that I've built but never used thus far as I'm sure I can do some cool stuff with those as well.

There is one thing I noticed immediately in the game and it is at the beginning. Obvious this game takes place in some far..WAY far off future. This is obvious based on the state of things in the first underground 'cave'. There is my issue. There are large stalactites and stalagmites in these caves that have formed over the tech being shown. Now we don't know if these formed through natural limestone or through concrete which, does make a huge difference in the amount of time that has passed. But either way, this game seems to take place perhaps as much as 100k years after what initially took place, took place? I'm hoping this is explained in the story more because the science part of me is having a hard time believing that any advanced tech would still have power and work in any form 100k years later. Especially tech built by any humans.

But I do like the vantage points you find that give you a glimpse at the world that once was. They did a much better job of the ruin decay having taken place and nature reclaiming the land in this case.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-