IGNORED

Skippy's Retro Game Center & Collections

Hey there everyone! If there's two things I love in this world it's old video games and Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and you can expect to see a fair amount of both in this thread. If for some reason you are put off by either old video games or magical talking pastel colored unicorns I would suggest clicking the "Back" button on your browser now. You have been warned lol

That said, let's start things off with a look at my home console gaming center! :D

Wtaajfg.jpg

ZoqtnS1.jpg

That's a bit of an older picture, before I added another game storage cabinet for my 130'ish Atari 2600 cartridges and some framed Atari posters to the back wall, but it should give you a fairly good idea of my setup. Maybe I can take some new pics later this week if people want to see them. On the subject of the Atari 2600, that seems like as good a place as any to start the look at my game collections for individual systems. Again, this will be a sightly older pic...

gSA7wxt.jpg

I've acquired a good dozen or so new games since that picture was taken, including Princess Rescue and a reproduction of Shooting Arcade; as well as a Wico Command Control Trackball, Wico Command Control bat style joystick, a Best Electronics Lightgun, and a Competition Pro 5000 joystick. Those I shouldn't have much trouble snapping some new pictures of in the near future. I do collect for a few other systems as well as the Atari 2600, including the original Game Boy / Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and the Sega Genesis. I use the term "collect" loosely, because honestly I consider myself more of a curator than a collector. I'm not out to collect every game published for my favorite systems, just the ones that I personally like and find enjoyable to play. If I buy a game and decide I don't like it after playing it then it goes up on eBay or off to a local game store and gets resold. There are a few historically significant exceptions to this in my game libraries (such as the copies of Pac-Man and E.T. seen above), but for the most part I'm only interested in collecting the good and fun games for my favorite systems. :)

I haven't taken any pictures of my Genesis collection yet since it's still pretty small (around 20 games) but I do have a few of my Game Boy library to share:

Z9lTmIe.jpg

iZX3FJy.jpg

TtBWiXd.jpg

OPvPO0l.jpg

I have a real soft spot for the old gray brick and the games on it, but the vast majority of the time whenever I play a Game Boy game it's on my custom Twilight Sparkle themed Game Boy Color. I really dig the color pallets that Nintendo programmed into the GBC for many of the more popular original Game Boy games, and I like seeing the games displayed on a screen the same size as the one they were originally made for; but without any of the motion blur of the original Game Boy screen. The Game Boy Advance SP does get used for original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games sometimes as well though (usually late at night when I don't feel like digging out the Worm Light for the GBC), and it has been somewhat customized too. It started off life as a Graphite colored AGS-101 model backlight GBA SP and really got the ever living daylights beat out of it by it's previous owner, but after I purchased it I ended up refurbishing it with a brand new purple housing, buttons, and screen cover. I also took it to a local game store and had them solder in brand new L and R trigger contacts, and it's been a constant traveling companion for me ever since. It really is a wonderful little system.

That's all for now! I hope you enjoyed this look at my gaming center and game collections, and you can expect to see this thread updated regularly with new pictures of Atari 2600, Game Boy/Color/Advance, and Sega Genesis games and accessories. :grin:

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there everyone! If there's two things I love in this world it's old video games and Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and you can expect to see a fair amount of both in this thread. If for some reason you are put off by either old video games or magical talking pastel colored unicorns I would suggest clicking the "Back" button on your browser now. You have been warned lol

That said, let's start things off with a look at my home console gaming center! :D

Wtaajfg.jpg

ZoqtnS1.jpg

That's a bit of an older picture, before I added another game storage cabinet for my 130'ish Atari 2600 cartridges and some framed Atari posters to the back wall, but it should give you a fairly good idea of my setup. Maybe I can take some new pics later this week if people want to see them. On the subject of the Atari 2600, that seems like as good a place as any to start the look at my game collections for individual systems. Again, this will be a sightly older pic...

gSA7wxt.jpg

I've acquired a good dozen or so new games since that picture was taken, including Princess Rescue and a reproduction of Shooting Arcade; as well as a Wico Command Control Trackball, Wico Command Control bat style joystick, a Best Electronics Lightgun, and a Competition Pro 5000 joystick. Those I shouldn't have much trouble snapping some new pictures of in the near future. I do collect for a few other systems as well as the Atari 2600, including the original Game Boy / Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and the Sega Genesis. I use the term "collect" loosely, because honestly I consider myself more of a curator than a collector. I'm not out to collect every game published for my favorite systems, just the ones that I personally like and find enjoyable to play. If I buy a game and decide I don't like it after playing it then it goes up on eBay or off to a local game store and gets resold. There are a few historically significant exceptions to this in my game libraries (such as the copies of Pac-Man and E.T. seen above), but for the most part I'm only interested in collecting the good and fun games for my favorite systems. :)

I haven't taken any pictures of my Genesis collection yet since it's still pretty small (around 20 games) but I do have a few of my Game Boy library to share:

Z9lTmIe.jpg

iZX3FJy.jpg

TtBWiXd.jpg

OPvPO0l.jpg

I have a real soft spot for the old gray brick and the games on it, but the vast majority of the time whenever I play a Game Boy game it's on my custom Twilight Sparkle themed Game Boy Color. I really dig the color pallets that Nintendo programmed into the GBC for many of the more popular original Game Boy games, and I like seeing the games displayed on a screen the same size as the one they were originally made for; but without any of the motion blur of the original Game Boy screen. The Game Boy Advance SP does get used for original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games sometimes as well though (usually late at night when I don't feel like digging out the Worm Light for the GBC), and it has been somewhat customized too. It started off life as a Graphite colored AGS-101 model backlight GBA SP and really got the ever living daylights beat out of it by it's previous owner, but after I purchased it I ended up refurbishing it with a brand new purple housing, buttons, and screen cover. I also took it to a local game store and had them solder in brand new L and R trigger contacts, and it's been a constant traveling companion for me ever since. It really is a wonderful little system.

That's all for now! I hope you enjoyed this look at my gaming center and game collections, and you can expect to see this thread updated regularly with new pictures of Atari 2600, Game Boy/Color/Advance, and Sega Genesis games and accessories. :grin:

Nice collection. Like the contrast between the side by side Vader and NES.

As an aside, I need to pick up a copy of Robot Tank. Seems to get decent reviews on the forums.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D I have admittedly been procrastinating on taking some collection update pics for a while, but tonight I finally decided to get off my lazy butt and do it. So, here's what's new since the pictures in the original post were taken!

First up we have some new additions to the Atari 2600 library and a few controllers for the 2600 that I picked up new in box over the last couple months:

BeNnI3B.jpg

HPrpzPf.jpg

I've been really enjoying all of them, but especially the two light gun games (Sentinel and the Shooting Arcade reproduction) with the Best Electronics Atari Light Gun. I could go on and on for pages about how much I love that light gun and how incredibly accurate it is, but I've already done that in other threads so I'll spare you guys and gals this time around. :lol: The reproduction of Princess Rescue has been a lot of fun too, as has H.E.R.O. and Ghost Manor. I almost didn't pick up the Ghost Manor / Artillery Duel double ender since the label is way below my usual condition standards, but it was on sale for $1 at a local game store and it was a cart I had been wanting for a while so I just couldn't resist bringing it home. Maybe some day I can replace it with a better condition copy, but in the meantime it's still loads of fun to play.

Next up is something I promised in the original post: A look at my Sega Genesis library. I was waiting until my library had grown past the 25 game mark to take pictures, and with my recent acquisitions of Truxton and Castlevania: Bloodlines I now seems like a pretty good time to do it.

0plFDQL.jpg

0DgQpBX.jpg

That's all for now! My next picture update will feature the household PS1 library (most of which belongs to my wife) and some of my more recent Game Boy and Game Boy Color pickups. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Great stuff there and thanks for sharing. H.E.R.O. is my absolute favorite 2600 game of all time and you will not put the controller down it is fun. Awesome pickups!! :-D

Thanks Retrogamer! I was really excited to have finally gotten my hands on a copy of H.E.R.O., since it's been at the top of my Atari 2600 wants list for a long while now. I kept hoping to find a copy locally, but every one I ran across in the local game stores had a ripped or heavily worn label so last week I just gave in and bought my copy for $30 on eBay.

So far it definitely seems like a worthwhile purchase! The game looks great and is darn difficult to put down once you get started playing (just like you said), but I'm still having a bit of trouble getting the hang of the up and down flight controls. Practice makes perfect I guess! :lol:

Now the only pricey original production Atari game high up on my wants list is Montezuma's Revenge, and that one could take a while to find. I've been watching eBay auctions for months now and I've yet to find one with a good condition label (I.E. Not ripped or heavily worn) that wasn't $50+. Ah well, I'll keep my eyes open and I'm sure one will turn up eventually. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Retrogamer! I was really excited to have finally gotten my hands on a copy of H.E.R.O., since it's been at the top of my Atari 2600 wants list for a long while now. I kept hoping to find a copy locally, but every one I ran across in the local game stores had a ripped or heavily worn label so last week I just gave in and bought my copy for $30 on eBay.

So far it definitely seems like a worthwhile purchase! The game looks great and is darn difficult to put down once you get started playing (just like you said), but I'm still having a bit of trouble getting the hang of the up and down flight controls. Practice makes perfect I guess! :lol:

Now the only pricey original production Atari game high up on my wants list is Montezuma's Revenge, and that one could take a while to find. I've been watching eBay auctions for months now and I've yet to find one with a good condition label (I.E. Not ripped or heavily worn) that wasn't $50+. Ah well, I'll keep my eyes open and I'm sure one will turn up eventually. :)

You fetched a great deal on H.E.R.O. That is a game you must buy when you find it for a good deal. It has been going up in value recently. I got mine for $50 complete a few years ago. I have it on my modded xbox, activision anthology, 5200 version, and CV version. The 2600 version is hands down the best one. And is much better playing it on an actual VCS with the actual 2600 controller. You getbetter precision than on emulation. I love Montezuma's revenge and the 2600 version is excellent and as well on the other platforms.The only one I see for a fair deal is the Master System version and the others are hard to come by. Patience is the biggest key to collecting and getting what you want. And if so, you get lucky. Last Summer I got the item I always wanted. At the time I had an Atarin2600 Light Sixer, 4 switch woody, Vader, and Jr. Models. But no Heavy Sixer. I've been searching all over Ebay and Craigslist for a good deal. But to no avail. Seen bare consoles go for $150, $200 with controllers, $500 with games and so forth. Late July 2014, almosta week before my birthday. I went to a local gaming/movie store called Movie Trading Company and I was browsing around. Right in a glass case low and behold a loose Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer. For $50!! I ran up to the nearest employee and said "I want thatbHeavy Sixer!!" :lol: Bought it, took it home, cleaned it all up inside and out, and repainted the cart slot bezel. Works amazing!! One of the best birthday gifts to myself :grin: Patience plays out in your favor at times. Just keep lookin and never give up. There will be a M.R. out there! :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it's about time for another collection update! :D

This time the update includes all the Game Boy and Game Boy Color games I've acquired since the original post, including one I'm really excited to open up and try out: A new in box imported copy of the European exclusive vertical scrolling shoot 'em up SWiV (A.K.A. Silkworm 4 or Silkworm in Vertical). Along with that are quite a few classic arcade game ports, a couple very nice digital conversions of timeless tabletop games, and the first-person point-and-click adventure RPGs The Sword of Hope and Shadowgate Classic. I'm a huge fan of first-person dungeon crawlers so I'm thrilled to have those two join Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit in my library of Game Boy/Color games in that genre. :)

1UntPvO.jpg

Next up I thought it was time for a proper look at my still rather meager Game Boy Advance collection. I ended up selling a few games out of the collection earlier in the year when I was a bit short on cash, so there's a few missing from the picture in the original post that I'll need to reacquire at some point (namely Alien Hominid, Metroid: Fusion, Max Payne, and Grand Theft Auto Advance) but this should still give you a good idea of what kind of games I like to collect for this wonderful little system. Speaking of which, the system itself was originally a graphite colored AGS-101 model backlit Game Boy Advance SP that I refurbished by having new L and R trigger contacts soldered in at a local game store, then I replaced the housing and screen lens myself with shiny brand new aftermarket ones. The earphone adapter below the system is an Intec brand one, which took me nearly two years of searching to track down but was well worth the time and effort. You won't find a better, more compact, or solidly built earphone adapter for the Game Boy Advance SP; and I really dig that little Pelican carrying case too. Lastly, the brand new and still sealed copy of SimCity 2000 will be getting opened and played on Christmas as a little Christmas present to myself. :party:

mk0K1Lt.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

After going through 5 different brand new in box DS Lite systems, I finally found it! My personal holy grail! A brand new Crimson & Black colored DS Lite with zero defects whatsoever! No dead or stuck pixels, no loose wobbly D-Pad or shoulder buttons, no screen alignment or backlight leakage issues, a flawlessly even finish all the way around, and a everything is just... just... perfect! My personal quest of 4 years for a perfect Crimson & Black DS Lite has at last been completed! :D

New in box system collectors, avert thine eyes...

J6UA0a1.jpg

Fob3GOB.jpg

QSVP7R4.jpg

wE7Nr2q.jpg

Q3eApJA.gif

nMQT9C7.jpg

hcsX5bh.jpg

So, what's the first thing I did with this gloriously perfect piece of gaming hardware after charging up the battery and configuring the system settings?

15M5gZo.jpg

I wonder if there is a place where all the bad Animal Crossing villagers go when they die. :lol:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Last night I put my soldering practice to good use and installed a backlight kit in a Game Boy for the first time! It worked out great and the AtariAge member Zetastrike requested some pictures and info on the project, so I thought I'd share them here. :)

The backlight I used was an Olive Green colored backlight from http://www.deadpanrobot.co.uk/en-gb and you can find the tutorial that I used to guide me through the installation here:

KAjzs6B.jpg

vT1w2eq.jpg

w9a1TFL.jpg

Unfortunately my camera doesn't seem to be capable of accurately photographing the true color of the backlight, but I assure you that when viewed through human eyes the color of the Olive Green backlight is absolutely identical to the shade of green that you'd see on an original unmodified Game Boy screen. I did decide not to bivert the screen on this one, since I play my Game Boy systems outside on smoke breaks a lot and biverting the screen makes it wash out of the point of being nearly unplayable in well lit environments. The reason for that being that when you invert the polarization film behind the screen 90° as required to bivert it then the polarization film is no longer capable of reflecting external light, so those who plan to play their Game Boy in well lit rooms or outdoors are definitely best off skipping the bivert mod and just using a regular backlight kit. Hope that helps Zetastrike! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wtaajfg.jpg

ZoqtnS1.jpg

gSA7wxt.jpg

Z9lTmIe.jpg

iZX3FJy.jpg

TtBWiXd.jpg

OPvPO0l.jpg

Wow, this all looks amazing! Very nice and neat, so much so I aspire to have this level of organization to my games. I haven't seen anything else yet in this thread but I just had to compliment this!

• 1 year later...

It's been a long, long time since I updated this thread and many consoles have come and gone from my retro gaming center since then. I finally got the home console selection arranged just the way I want it though so I figured now would be a good time to post a new pic of what my gaming center looks like, since it's likely to stay the same for the foreseeable future. :)

i27XEs5.jpg

• Like 2