IGNORED

The Idea Thread

Plastik

If you're going to do this - a dremel tool, a pop rivet gun, and a bench grinder are good to have. You can get away without the bench grinder if you're patient with a file. I too a few photos several years ago while building my new Geneve case which may help. Notice that I took the whole cage out of the TI and attached the front of the cage to the PC case with some angle brackets and rivets. I fashioned an aluminum plate to the back of the case to mount the keyboard and audio/video jacks on the back of the case and to cover the ugly big hole that was there.

gallery_29515_1422_1002.jpg

gallery_29515_1422_81273.jpg

gallery_29515_1422_13468.jpg

Gazoo

• Like 2

Hi Gazoo,

thanks for the nice pics. Saved :)

I really think of doing this, but I still have concerns about the different voltages the PC´s powersupplies have.

I cannot fall to sleep with that difference, in my mind :)

On the other side, this would be a much more stable power, having 400 Watts or more....

We will see :)

thx,

schmitzi

♫♪ burning down da house ♪♫

Gazoo's pics make me want to tackle it. I could have all my drives and everything in one case!

There have been many that have had to switch the stock TI power supply out and used a PC power supply of course card mods were required.

I am sure there are other power supplies that can be used in order to get the wattage required and not have to make any mods to the cards.

Hi Gazoo,

thanks for the nice pics. Saved :)

I really think of doing this, but I still have concerns about the different voltages the PC´s powersupplies have.

I cannot fall to sleep with that difference, in my mind :)

On the other side, this would be a much more stable power, having 400 Watts or more....

We will see :)

thx,

schmitzi

♫♪ burning down da house ♪♫

Gazoo's pics make me want to tackle it. I could have all my drives and everything in one case!

There have been many that have had to switch the stock TI power supply out and used a PC power supply of course card mods were required.

I am sure there are other power supplies that can be used in order to get the wattage required and not have to make any mods to the cards.

You don't have to worry about the voltages, or modify any cards. You connect the PC +12v (yellow) to both the positive rails of the TI backplane, black to ground, and the PC -12v (not sure of the wire color) to the negative rail on the backplane. Only 3 connections to the PC power supply and TI backplane, really hard to mess it up. plug in the cards and go. I've been doing this for over 20 years with no issues. When you get into removing or jumpering voltage regulators is where you run into trouble.

KISS principle! Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Gazoo

• Like 1

You don't have to worry about the voltages, or modify any cards. You connect the PC +12v (yellow) to both the positive rails of the TI backplane, black to ground, and the PC -12v (not sure of the wire color) to the negative rail on the backplane. Only 3 connections to the PC power supply and TI backplane, really hard to mess it up. plug in the cards and go. I've been doing this for over 20 years with no issues. When you get into removing or jumpering voltage regulators is where you run into trouble.

KISS principle! Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Gazoo

So in your opinion if you had a fully populated PEB, 4 disk drives 3 SCSI hard drives. What type of power wattage do you think would cut it.

So in your opinion if you had a fully populated PEB, 4 disk drives 3 SCSI hard drives. What type of power wattage do you think would cut it.

Depends on the current required for the SCSI drives.

In my experience the 200 and 250 watt supplies don't last more than a year or 2. So go up from there. A 400w should be adequate for what you describe. I'm considering getting a 650w to replace the 300w PS in my Geneve, the 12v starts to get unreliable after a few hours.

Gazoo

• Like 1

I have an idea-"yes it happens now and again".

How good would it be to see this resurrectedb8ce64f3a9bd4a8e64ad4c66162f5cba.jpg

If most TI users are like me, you will feel a sense of nagging regret over what might have been had this little baby made it to market, would it be possible to make a functional TI99/8 as either a stand alone unit or as a card for the PEB?

• Like 1

I've put most of the technical documentation for these up onto WHTech. The only thing that is really missing is the internal schematic for the AMIGO chip. The design document, the pinout, and the equations for the combinatorial outputs are there though, so it should be possible to functionally resurrect the chip. They are fun machines to play with (I have two, one with 128K of additional memory in the PEB and the other with 512K of additional memory in the PEB).

• Like 2

Great idea to have an idea thread!

I have an idea for a game: have you ever tried to play Super Mario Galaxy on the Nintendo Wii, specifically the level "Bowser's dark matter plant"? This is a platform level where the direction of the gravity changes depending of which the area of the level you are in.

https://youtu.be/gmwLZaoUs98?t=113

This idea seems to translate well to a simple 8-bit platform game with a scrolling map and moving platforms. What do you think?

• Like 2

Great idea to have an idea thread!

I have an idea for a game: have you ever tried to play Super Mario Galaxy on the Nintendo Wii, specifically the level "Bowser's dark matter plant"? This is a platform level where the direction of the gravity changes depending of which the area of the level you are in.

https://youtu.be/gmwLZaoUs98?t=113

This idea seems to translate well to a simple 8-bit platform game with a scrolling map and moving platforms. What do you think?

Sounds like your next great TI game :)

...I was thinking of just pulling out the board from the PEB, inserting it into PC-Housing. Quick & Dirty :)

Don't install the board without the support cage or something similar that can hold and separate the cards. Otherwise your cards will rock, bend, and probably short out.

I've had my systems in a PC Tower since the early 90s. When I redid my Geneve Tower, I picked a smaller case which some of the forum participants have seen at the Chicago Faires. (I even had Ksarul's younger ones helping to put things together at the end of the faire!) :)

In my older case, the cards were mounted horizontally. Over time gravity warped some of the cards, so in my current case they are mounted vertically.

My only regret is that the power supply does not leave much room for four of the cards, meaning some peripherals like the RS232 cannot be used or must be swapped into a different slot when I have 8 cards installed. Keep the spacing in mind if you purchase a case ;)

One idea I have had bumping around in my head is a Forth PEB card...

It will take control of the system at powerup, (with a switch, like PCode to disable the powerup control) and run either TurboForth or fbForth (selectable at the start up menu). The card would run Forth "natively" and have the power to use and address other cards on board (32k, rs232, disk controller, etc.).

I have been doing some research on what would be required to do this, and AT THIS POINT it is beyond my time and ability...

But I will revisit as time allows and hopefully figure out a way to implement this idea into real hardware. :)

One idea I have had bumping around in my head is a Forth PEB card...

It will take control of the system at powerup, (with a switch, like PCode to disable the powerup control) and run either TurboForth or fbForth (selectable at the start up menu). The card would run Forth "natively" and have the power to use and address other cards on board (32k, rs232, disk controller, etc.).

I have been doing some research on what would be required to do this, and AT THIS POINT it is beyond my time and ability...

But I will revisit as time allows and hopefully figure out a way to implement this idea into real hardware. :)

Wouldn't it just be much easier to make one of the existing Forth cartridges autostart?

Seems like a no-brainer...

Want a no-cart solution with the ability to select the language at startup. :)

Basically, I want to turn my TI into a Forth machine. Like the PCode card does.

Even named it and have a logo. ;)

Stupid? Maybe... Overkill? Perhaps...

But I always wanted a Cantab Ace, and with this... I can do one even better.

Besides, it'll teach me alot as I work on it.

Auto-starting carts... Aren't many of those, I imagine. Complete bypass of the Title screen?

Edited by Opry99er

The MBX cartridges do an auto-start, as do some of the Scott-Foresman cartridges, so there are cartridges out there that bypass the title screen. The side port cartridges also run their own power-up routines to skirt the restrictions of the V2.2 OS (or to build bigger assembly cartridges).

Want a no-cart solution with the ability to select the language at startup. :)

Basically, I want to turn my TI into a Forth machine. Like the PCode card does.

In that case just use a Horizon Ramdisk with Rambo installed. The switch is already there to shut it off, too.

You can have whatever menu program you write autostart. You'll have to make a few changes in the Forths to the banking schemes of Rambo instead of cart banking. But the authors of both the Forths you mentioned are here and might actually help with the code.

Gazoo

I would love to have a HRD... I do not have one these days though.

I had thought about building the Forth card shortly after Willsy put out TF1.1. The idea sort of stuck with me over the past couple of years and then I saw Jim's prototyping board. I bet there would be massive interest in it... Huge, blockbuster volume, surpassing all TI hardware and software sales combined.

At least 5 people would want one. ;)

And I have not had the opportunity to run 2.7 yet. Hopefully if/when we close on this house, I'll have the ability to run all my nice new carts. :)

I need to read up on RAMBO, it looks like.

I would love to have a HRD... I do not have one these days though.

I had thought about building the Forth card shortly after Willsy put out TF1.1. The idea sort of stuck with me over the past couple of years and then I saw Jim's prototyping board. I bet there would be massive interest in it... Huge, blockbuster volume, surpassing all TI hardware and software sales combined.

At least 5 people would want one. ;)

And I have not had the opportunity to run 2.7 yet. Hopefully if/when we close on this house, I'll have the ability to run all my nice new carts. :)

I need to read up on RAMBO, it looks like.

I wouldn't bother, basically it's about a Vietnam vet who goes apesh*t after being harassed by a small town sheriff, he then goes on to defeat the entire Vietnamese military, then the Russians and finally some crazy Burmese army types.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother, basically it's about a Vietnam vet who goes apesh*t after being harassed by a small town sheriff, he then goes on to defeat the entire Vietnamese military, then the Russians and finally some crazy Burmese army types.

Sounds f*in B-A.....

• Like 1