IGNORED

The Idea Thread

Plastik

Is it possible to autostart ROM-only cartridges?

...lee

No, but by using an ubergrom cart, one could put a GPL header in it that autostarted, and then branched to the ROM code with 6 byes of code.

So if your ROM cart started code execution at >6022,

You could have your GPL code as this >BF00,>6022,>0FF0.

The GPL code would look like this at address g>6000.

>AA01,>0000,>6010,>0000,>0000,>0000,>0000,>0000

>0000,>6016,>0000,>BF00,>6022,>0FF0

Gazoo

EDIT:

You may want to add: >3100,>018F,>DD00,>6000 before the branch to lock in bank 1 of the ROM, so you'd then have this GPL code:

>AA01,>0000,>6010,>0000,>0000,>0000,>0000,>0000

>0000,>6016,>0000,>3100,>018F,>DD00,>6000,>BF00

>6022,>0FF0

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

Who said the tape port is dead. I came across this interesting device called the Cassiopei for the C64 and thought it'd be rather interesting to see one made for the 99.

Cassiopei_foto_2small.JPG

http://home.kpn.nl/bderogee1980/projects/Cassiopei/Cassiopei.htm

A cheap tape emulator to plug right into the cassette port.

tapeemulator.png

• Like 1

That last set made me think that with a proper power supply, you could make a much smaller PEB which could stack the cards. The PEB would then be as wide as the cards are tall, plus a quarter-height 5.25" drive bay, and the enclosure. I think a good 19V DC power supply providing the right wattage (like one of those 130W laptop power supplies) could be converted internally to provide the voltages necessary to run the cards.

Cards would not fit if you mount them in the orientation presented. If you mounted them sideways as I proposed you would have fewer card slots available. One could just also re-purpose an old SCSI box to hold nothing but cards, back-plane with on-board voltage conversion, a small space for the Lotharek, and an SD slot. As for the voltage conversion, you could also go so far as making the back-plane interface with an ATX input and use a PicoPSU with an appropriate 12V external power supply.

Cards would not fit if you mount them in the orientation presented. If you mounted them sideways as I proposed you would have fewer card slots available. One could just also re-purpose an old SCSI box to hold nothing but cards, back-plane with on-board voltage conversion, a small space for the Lotharek, and an SD slot. As for the voltage conversion, you could also go so far as making the back-plane interface with an ATX input and use a PicoPSU with an appropriate 12V external power supply.

I agree, the current cards would not fit. I was actually thinking along the lines of totally new SMT type PCB's about the size of Greg's speech interface. If one is going to go through all the trouble to re-envision the externals, why not the internals too?

Your idea for an external power supply is perfect. Not only would it reduce the size and weight of the re-envisioned P-Box, it would also cut down on heat generation.

All the new cards could be designed with contemporary connectors as well which would also cut down on size.

The odds of something like this actually coming to fruition though are astronomical, but it was fun to think about.

• Like 1

I thought I'd start a thread to post up idea's that pop in my head for the Ti. Since I lack knowledge in a few areas like coding and such, these my not come to fruition but I thought I'd share them. I'm sure many of you have ideas or projects in the back burner also.

Here is a game idea I came up with that is a bit like "skydiver" but it's called "Base Jumper"

basejumper.gif

The kids liked it. I like it too - a bit of H.E.R.O. there. I like how Rasmus (my boy) made up a story about what the jumper said along the way - variations with a few loops of animation - and then of course asking where / what the controls were ...

:)

• Like 1