IGNORED

My daughter has left Hospital...

Mclaneinc

I know it seems off topic but its not..

Thank you to all that have been so kind re my daughter Serena who was in hospital after being so close to death from an eating disorder, she finally was discharged from hospital today after 8.5 months in there. Its never been easy but she gave it her all and at times faltered but thanks to her and the hospital folk and hopefully us she soldiered on and overcame her illness.

She kept me focused, she wanted me to keep on with the Atari stuff and enjoyed some of it..

So its with tired but tear filled eye's that I thank you all...

Paul...

• Like 42

Yeah, well... thank you too for a bit of great news in a world that usually thrives on bad news.

Always great to relax at the end of the day, crack open a beer and have reason to say "ya know what? I've got it on good authority that today didn't suck!"

Best wishes for her continuing recovery.

I'm glad there was a good outcome for you, your daughter, and family. Perhaps you wish not to say any more, but I'm sensing a something like anorexia? I've never had exposure to a loved one with that per se, though I have seen the effects of very poor nutrition and excessive alcohol. As I said, I'm glad things have improved enough for the hospital to no longer be required on an inpatient basis.

That's fantastic news.

8.5 months must have felt like a lifetime, so glad to hear of the end result though.
My Father has been in Hospital for past 3 weeks with all manner of complications, 2nd time in 3 years, but this time, the fight seems to have left him completely.On top of his physical issues, he's slipped into a deep depression and is making life most difficult for not only the family, but the medical staff trying to do everything they can to restore him to health.
My sister (a staff nurse herself) walked out of the ward after 20 mins with him yesterday after a 90 min journey there, as she could'nt do anything with him.
Wretched times....
Here's hoping yours keep getting brighter each day Paul.
It'll be a long run ahead i'm sure, but these are great early steps to be taking.
I wish you and your family all the very best for the times ahead.
  • Like 1

Thanks all, yes it was anorexia...

Wretched illness, hurts the body, hurts the mind..

She was so ill on arrival that she was not allowed to walk in case she had a heart attack, yet we had taken her so many times to the doctor and hospital say she was very ill and they simply said it was ok.

But she IS ok now, still needs some help on keeping her head in the right mindset but she's worked so hard and I can tell you the hospitals that look after these girls are very strict with good reason and her 8.5 months must have felt like a lifetime.

Going to ask her to do some Atari 8 bit based art as she's a ultra talented artist even at 15, loves Manga and even reads Japanese (huge fan of Japanese culture).

So, thank you all, all your posts have been ultra appreciated, the Atari and the people around it have been like brothers and sisters to me over the years and more so on AtariAge where I've had help and kindness and been able to do the odd bit of good, made some good friends and keen to make more but you have kept me sane when the world around me has been ultra tough so it you all that deserve the thanks and the kindness.

Paul and Family..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

That is great news and I am so glad to hear it.

With regards to her art, I think that Atari art may be very good for her. First of all, the name Atari is from Japan and so is the inspiration for the fuji. And the pixelated art is very popular with the youngsters nowadays. If you share something that is a common love, that will also immensely help.

These weight based issues are difficult to overcome, so the achievement of having done so at a young age is even more wonderful.

Now... if you can get her into the finer arts of using Rastaconverter .... :) :) :)

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 1

We were lucky that my mother in law rented a car for us for almost the whole time she was in the hospital and was quite close to us, here's where she was

http://huntercombe.com/our-centres/the-huntercombe-hospital-maidenhead#centre-tour

But the problem was that Anorexia affects the person both mentally and physically, Serena would have days / weeks with awful mood swings so although she saw us almost every day it didn't mean she wanted to or was happy, its so soul destroying when your own child screams at you not wanting you but as the medication was changed and he weight and wellness increased she went back to her old self. But life in the hospital isn't all doing what you like, the girls have strict eating regimes where not a crumb can be left and its BIG plates of not stunningly tasty food, I did the system she had for one meal and I was full for the day, she had 3 more of these each day. While the girls attended school in the Hospital and had out visits and the place was more like a care home it was incredibly concentrated on what the girls did, she was 'on level's' initially which meant a person was with her 24hrs a day (in 2hr shifts being changed) so Serena had to sleep in her room with a person in the room, as she hit targets this was relaxed to periods of the day to eventually no one but a person checking they were ok every 15mins, use of the toilet was also personally monitored as was bathing but only by female workers initially until they gained bathroom privacy which meant a person waiting outside with the door over but not shut who talks constantly.

So as you can see its no fun place but it was needed as the girls often to to self harm as Serena did (cutting her arms etc) and attempts at suicide which Serena talked about with her team but thankfully never tried.

Towards the last 2 months she spent more time at home with us only returning for a night to be weighed and checked but thankfully that's all done, she now has an out patient team that she will have to see and be monitored by but no more hospital or being away from us...

And here's a bit of her artwork, self portrait (she loves cats)

IMG_20150618_0001_zps3sjf93yg.jpg

• Like 10

Thank you all people, but most of all my daughter sends her thanks...

Sorry for the bleak info re the hospital but it helps if people understand just what is involved, too many hear anorexia and think, thin person, fill them with food, all better, it sort of works that way but its such a seriously bad illness to have with lasting problems like polycystic ovary syndrome which means the girl does not start periods or stops having them which has its own problems and can be very serious, Serena has been diagnosed with this but should be fine but the non start of periods at 15 isn't helpful.

But she's at health weight range and eating well so things should be fine...

Again, thank you all..

• Like 3

Totally hear you on the mental aspect of what must have been a most horrendous period for you.

We had the Hospital phoning us this afternoon, begging us to come down (it's a 90 min journey by car) as they cannot do a thing with my father.Physically he's healing well after an operation and the treatment for various complications, but mentally, he's just withdrawn into himself and refuses to eat, allow nurses anywhere near him, won't talk and it takes 3 of them just to lift him out of bed as he practically fights them to stay in...
Just come out of nowhere.The physical complications we expected given his age, past health issues, but the mental illness...just floored us....as we've no idea how to deal with it.