IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

wr9PjzI.png

GVtYeOT.png

Tk3Dklv.jpg

After a thorough search of the forums I noticed that there was an official thread or subforum for just about every classic system around, except for the one that is perhaps my favorite of all: The Game Boy! xHxiHfT.png

Feel free to use this thread to discuss anything and everything pertaining to the Game Boy, Pocket, Light, Color, Advance, SP, Micro and the games published on all the different Game Boy hardware iterations. You are welcome to post pictures of your Game Boy collections, share reviews and recommendations, talk about your latest acquisitions, and so on. Have fun and enjoy the thread!
  • Like 3

Good idea for a thread! I personally need to pick up a GBA SP sometime, preferably sooner than later. I'm trying to play on a GB Pocket now and I'm wondering how I managed to put up with all the blur back in the day. :lolblue:

I have clocked some time into some original Game Boy games again (via the Game Boy Player since it's not so hard on the eyes) and a bunch of the games still hold up pretty well. Donkey Kong ('94 as some people call it now), the throwback to the classic arcade game, still looks and plays great. The new mechanics and puzzle elements are fun and the level design is rock-solid. Super Mario Land is still a really fun game too, although going back to it now it's almost shocking at how short it is (four worlds with three stages each). Going in I thought it was at least double the length, haha. Still a fun game though.

• Like 3

I just recently bought an SP for the first time. I had a GBA but only ever had a handful of games when I was a kid since you need to buy things and I wasn't able to at that point. I really love this little system. I was compelled to buy it after finding / cleaning up an old fat GB I've had for years and years only to find its screen had a few tracks running down it. They battery life was pretty rough on those old bricks anyway so I wasn't too heart broken.

So far I've really just dug into Yoshi's Island (one of my favorite games ever) and the Megaman Zero that came with it and am having a blast.

Game Boy Advance is probably my favorite system (especially the micro variant). I've got my GBA collection thread over here. One of the more interesting items in my collection is the Visteon Dockable GBA.

Anybody know if any homebrew carts are still available for purchase for the system? I could use some new game carts.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Awesome stuff!! And great to see a thread about the Game Boy, GBC, and GBA thread. Remember the peripheral back in 2003 you slide several e card reader and got you to play a classic NES game on the GBA? I remembered also getting the ones for Super Mario Advance 4. All the bonus levels and picking veggies up in SMB 3. Agree with Austin. Donkey Kong '94 is indeed a great game. Enjoy that as well as Mario vs. Donkey Kong. The Crash Bandicoot and Sonic games for the GBA were excellent as well and played great. I use my modded xbox with the emulators or the Gamecube with the Game Boy player adapter so it won't strain my eyes. Japan even did something cool in 2003-2004. Released Famicom/Famicom Disk System ported games to be played on the Game Boy Advance. I have the Lost Levels. It's not region locked either.

• Like 1

to me, playing the original game boy games is like reading a book. if you are lucky, your mind fills in all the detail and color for you. : )

around 2002, i went to all the gamestops in the area and bought about 100 gameboy games for $1 -$2 apiece. unfortunately, i don't

have that collection anymore. but now i am buying back some of my very favorites, and hopefully i can finish some of them.

anybody here love ultra golf?

• Like 1

I've been huge on Gameboy since the beginning, running to the stores daily in 1989(?) checking if it was out yet, and I haven't let up since. I play GB (or these days, DS/3DS) games nearly daily on the crapper and have been for a quarter-century :lol:

Although obviously the focus is on DS/3DS now.. I think the last "gameboy/gba" game I played recently was Warioware Twisted (checked out the unlocked minigames), and also I dinked around with the Gameboy camera fairly recently. :)

My Gameboy collection...

Original brick (modded with back light)

- Tetris

GBA SP (red)

- Metal Slug Advance (japan import)

- Super Ghouls n Ghosts (japan import)

That's all folks...lots of games I have played and had fun with and sold, but really no others I can think of that I want to play again...maybe a few of the RPG's I missed out on...

Awesome replies everyone! Now that this thread is getting active I think I'll toss in a few pictures from my collection and some thoughts on the systems, as well as my favorite GB/GBC/GBA games. To start things off, here's a few pics of my current Game Boy library:

Z9lTmIe.jpg

iZX3FJy.jpg

TtBWiXd.jpg

I have a good 15 or so more GBA games that aren't pictured with my SP above, but I don't want to pic spam this thread so I'll leave the pics at that for now. As far as hardware goes I have an original gray brick Game Boy, a grape colored Game Boy Color with some custom colored controls, and a AGS-101 model backlit GBA SP that I've installed an aftermarket purple housing on. I also have a Game Boy Player on my GameCube that I use now and then too, but about 95% of the time I either use the Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance SP when I want to play handheld game. I used to have a really beautiful custom NES style Game Boy Micro from Rose Colored Gaming as well, but I ended up reselling it due to the screen being just a little too tiny for me to be able to see comfortably. I really loved the aesthetics of that system and the pocketability, but the screen was just a bit too small for my eyes in spite of it's incredible sharpness. I do break out the gray brick once a month or so for nostalgia reasons, but I like the Game Boy Color the best for playing original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games and the backlit SP for playing GBA games.

When it comes to original Game Boy games I really dig the color palettes that Nintendo programmed into the GBC for many of the more popular first party Game Boy titles, and I like seeing the games displayed on a screen the same size as the one they were originally made for; but without any of the motion blur of the original Game Boy screen. I think the SP is equally wonderful in it's own way though! There's an enormous library of quality titles for it, and the system's 32 bit capabilities make it like having an SNES, Genesis, and sometimes even a PS1 (depending on the game) in your pocket. Not to mention the bright and vibrant backlit screen on the AGS-101 model, which makes playing games in dimly lit environments an absolute joy without the need for a Worm Light. There's a lot to love about both the Game Boy Color and backlit Game Boy Advance SP, and on that note here's a quick list of my current Top 10 favorite Game Boy/Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games to wrap this post up. :)

Game Boy/Game Boy Color Top 10
10. Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit (GBC)
9. Mortal Kombat II (GB)
8. Shanghai Pocket (GBC/GB)
7. Alleyway (GB)
6. Project S-11 (GBC)
5. Boggle Plus (GB)
4. Resident Evil: Gaiden (GBC)
3. Super Mario Land (GB)
2. Solar Striker (GB)
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC/GB)

Game Boy Advance Top 10
10. Wolfenstein 3D
9. Namco Museum
8. Street Fighter Alpha 3
7. Mario Kart: Super Circuit
6. Iridion II
5. Duke Nukem Advance
4. Doom II
3. Classic NES Series: Castlevania
2. Atari Anniversary Advance
1. Doom

• Like 5

I never liked the original Game Boy that much, but the Game Boy Advance is everything I wanted in a handheld and a whole lot more. It's so far ahead of previous portable systems it's nuts, and the Game Boy Advance SP 101 perfects its design with a crisp, brightly lit screen. I have two of them right now, and installed a new case on the second because it was so beat up when I first got it.

jin, great collection, my daughter would love that purple one!

I got my shipment of 9 classic game boy games today in the mail.

these games look great on the standard gba ags-001 in my opinion.

now i am looking at getting a $65 refurbed 001.

anybody have any experiences with thegodofgaming, or any of those guys selling thousands of refurbed gba's on ebay?

i am tired of looking at blurry pictures of the tops of gba's trying to find one that's not all scuffed up : )

jin, great collection, my daughter would love that purple one!

I got my shipment of 9 classic game boy games today in the mail.

these games look great on the standard gba ags-001 in my opinion.

now i am looking at getting a $65 refurbed 001.

anybody have any experiences with thegodofgaming, or any of those guys selling thousands of refurbed gba's on ebay?

i am tired of looking at blurry pictures of the tops of gba's trying to find one that's not all scuffed up : )

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with my collection too! :)

As far as getting a new system goes, for the money you're talking about spending I'd recommend spending a few dollars more and getting a AGS-101 model. If you really like the AGS-001 you could pick up another one, but it shouldn't cost much more to find a AGS-101 and I think the difference in visual clarity is well worth it. Either way I would recommend avoiding the large scale refurbished system sellers on eBay. They tend to use cheaply made reproduction internals for their systems, and the reproduction GBA screens can look a bit washed out and not as bright/vibrant as the original Nintendo brand ones. My best recommendation would be to purchase an original unmodified GBA SP on eBay with a scratched up housing (but no scratches on the screen protector, because those things are a nightmare to replace on the SP) for cheap then replace the housing yourself. The housing is very easy to replace as long as you have a regular old phillips head screwdriver and a tri-wing screwdriver on hand and should only take you half an hour at most, even if you don't have any previous hardware modding experience. For reference, here's a good video tutorial on how to do it:

The reason I recommend doing it yourself as opposed to buying one pre-refurbished is because when online sellers refurbish a GBA SP they will almost always replace the screen protector, and unless you're ridiculously obsessive compulsive like I am and are willing to spend an hour or more spraying off every last little dust particle from the screen and the new protector with a can of compressed air it's almost impossible to do without getting dust particles trapped between the screen and the new screen protector. Not to mention the need to wear latex gloves so you don't get fingerprints on the inside of the new screen protector, which I've never seen a refurbished console seller online do. Then there's the matter of getting the new screen protector aligned straight, which is maddeningly difficult since there's no frame for it to slot into on the SP. Replacing the screen protector without getting dust particles trapped inside and making sure it's aligned straight on the original Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, and Game Boy Color is a fast and easy job; but it's an absolute nightmare on the SP. For that reason I would recommend never buying a GBA SP with the screen protector pre-replaced or trying to do it yourself unless there's no other option. Buying a SP with a clean scratch-free original screen protector and replacing the housing yourself is really the way to go.

On a different subject, in the original post I did encourage people to post their latest Game Boy acquisitions here, and there have been a couple new additions to my library this week! :D

LnNSR7N.jpg

Pokémon Yellow Version for Game Boy

The first and only game in my Game Boy collection with a worn label. When I buy new games for my library I always make sure the labels are mint and free from wear or scratching before I buy them, but I actually didn't buy this game. Pokémon Yellow was donated to my collection by a good friend who found it while rummaging through his closet, and since he sold his old Game Boy long ago and knew that I collected for the Game Boy he offered to let me have it free of charge. Needless to say I was thrilled and thanked him profusely, because worn label or not it still plays/saves just fine and is exactly what I need to teach my Charizard in Pokémon Red the move "Fly". With this I now have all three Pokémon game produced for the original Game Boy!

Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition for Game Boy Color

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Ms. Pac-Man and already own many different versions of the game, but this Game Boy Color port that I picked up on eBay may be my favorite handheld version thus far. It isn't perfectly arcade accurate like the version included in Namco Museum for the GBA, but it still looks great and plays very well. When played in full screen mode the sprites are bigger and a fair bit easier on the eyes compared to the Namco Museum version (especially when played on the taller screen of the Game Boy Color rather than the Game Boy Advance), and that's something I appreciate a lot. The biggest and most noticeable change from the arcade/Namco Museum version is that the ghost AI is a little different. Veteran Ms. Pac-Man players will notice right away that Blinky (the red ghost) isn't quite as aggressive in this version and Sue (the orange ghost) is a little craftier and more likely to try to trap you than she usually is in other Ms. Pac-Man versions. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing though, since the reworked ghost AI will provide seasoned Ms. Pac-Man players who have memorized all the ghost patterns and know their routes through every maze in the arcade version a fresh new challenge. On the default "Arcade" difficulty setting the gameplay is just a tiny bit slower and easier than the original arcade version, and on the "Hard" difficulty setting it seems just a little bit faster and more challenging than in the arcade. I prefer the normal "Arcade" difficulty setting myself, and all in all I think this an excellent version of Ms. Pac-Man that would make a worthy addition to the library of any Game Boy fan looking to play some Ms. Pac-Man on the go.

Thats all for this week! :)

• Like 2

I picked up Pokemon Sapphire recently off ebay. I was just trolling and thought 'hey, I'd pay 10.50 for you.' so I just bid and moved on. Turns out I won it. While I enjoyed Yellow when I was in high school and X more recently a lot I never played any in between so I'm pretty happy. I never cared for the cartoons at all. I'm about an hour in and really enjoying myself. I love the relaxed nature of it.

Has anyone bought any of the translated Mother carts? I have a the fan translation patch for 3 as well as the US dump for Earthbound on my Wii but I'd love both portable. Prices seem reasonable for the lots of 1&2 on one cart and 3 on another as I really adore Earthbound and Mother 3.

my lineup consists of:

original grey brick GB

Kiwi GBC

NES Edition GBA SP

GBA Micro

- - roughly two dozen CIB games

- - a few dozen loose carts

- - - - accessories such as the gb light boy, gb game genie, gbc worm light

- - - - - - plus the Gameboy Everdrive, fully loaded.

I kind of lost interest by the time the GBA came out, but I loved the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color. I love that they eventually came in so many colors, but also kind of hate it since there's now the overwhelming temptation to collect all of them.

A few personal favorites:

Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Operation C
Castlevania II
Tetris (duh)

Dr. Mario

Kirby's Adventure
Fortified Zone
TMNT/II/III
Metroid II
Donkey Kong

Pokemon Red/Blue
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Super Mario Bros. DX
Zelda DX (probably my favorite of all Zelda games, actually)
Game Boy Camera + Printer...they're quaint now, but for a little while in the late '90s, these were the shit among me and my friends; GBCamera had some pretty wacky games, too.

And I was happy to see Alleyway and Solar Striker get some love. :-D

• Like 2

I've been bitten by the Gameboy bug myself lately. I just ordered a custom backlit clear PIL DMG from gameboy mods UK last week. I can't wait to get it.

The backlight mod was the only mod I've ever attempted to perform myself. My clear purple GBP was ruined in the process. I eventually got a backlit SP to replace it, but I still wanted a modded B/W model.

In the past two days, I picked up loose copies of Donkey Kong 94, Ducktales 2, and TMNT 3. I'm particularly excited about the last one, a Konami metroidvania made before SOTN.

Whoever came up with the idea of different colored shells was a (evil) genius.

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity, does anyone around here know of a source for new current production Game Boy Advance SP batteries? All the ones I've picked up on eBay seem to have been manufactured a decade or so ago and thus don't hold a charge very long, so I was wondering if anyone is still making new production GBA SP batteries?

• 2 weeks later...

I love and hate my Game Boys at the same time. I've gathered up a good few GBAs and a few clones, and while I like them for their hardware I never really could find any games that kept me playing apart from Pokémon Crystal when I was a lot smaller.

My list of systems is -

Game Boy Advance (Silver)

Game Boy Advance SP (NES Classic)

Game Boy Advance SP (AGS-101) (Graphite)

Game Boy Micro (Green)

GB Boy Colour (Translucent Blue)

I used to carry the SP with me everywhere, and I have lots of memories of it. Then the PSP came and stole me away from it. I've got the DS Lite and the 3DS and New 3DS but I just never really play them all that much anymore, I don't know if it's that my game collection is under 10 carts for each of them.

Oh well, I have many good memories and even though I don't pick my Game Boy up much, I'll gladly support it. Woo-hoo for Game Boy stuff.

• Like 2

I've never been huge into the Gameboy, but my latest gaming acquisition is a Gameboy Advance and GB Tetris cartridge. Found them for $8. Already had a GBA, but didn't want to pass up on this deal.

My first ever Gameboy purchase was kind of funny. I worked at a retail store and someone brought back an original Gameboy (well, it was the clear case one) because it wasn't in color. I don't know what they were expecting. Can't remember if the Gameboy Color was out yet or not. Anyway, they marked it down because there really wasn't anything wrong with it and I bought it for cheap.

• Like 1