IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

after going through all the game boy roms and pinpointing the platformers and puzzle games that i enjoy, i finally pulled the trigger on the game boy everdrive. i already have the super everdrive and the turbo everdrive, so this will really round out my collection.

i have been on ebay pricing out all the game boy cartridges i would love to get, but many are currently only available from overseas, which makes me a little nervous. also, the prices of some of my favorite games are between $20 and $50, so i figure the everdrive is a no brainer.

i can't believe how well the game boy games have held up for me 25 years after owning the original system.

Edited by airsoftmodels

If you aren't attached to one specific Gameboy system, I find SP model 101 with the brighter LCD to work great for anytime gaming with Everdrive. EDGB won't do GBA games, just GB and GBC.

Those models are awesome. I traded in my regular Game Boy Advance for the SP model that has the NES controller look in 2004. The screen was bright and great for playing at night. I used to have the e-card reader. Play those classic black box NES titles by swiping 10 cards to start up a game.

I love the game Alleyway! And Super Mario Land is a must have.

Those little GB carts are soo cool as well. Personally I love Turbo Grafx Express a little better,but GB is really really awesome.

Alleyway will always be one of my favorite titles for the Game Boy. Simple and entertaining to say the least!

Anthony...

• Like 1

Oh yeah eReader was an interesting idea and a way to sell dirt cheap game back when most people didn't have wifi access and a flash ROM area to store multiple games.

I have the complete set of regular retail ecards plus a few extra including air hockey freebie. They have been kept in zip loc bag for many years.

I did mod my eReader by removing the pass through link port to make it work gracefully with any SP. The pass through link is just basically a 3" GBA link extension cable.

Oh yeah eReader was an interesting idea and a way to sell dirt cheap game back when most people didn't have wifi access and a flash ROM area to store multiple games.

I have the complete set of regular retail ecards plus a few extra including air hockey freebie. They have been kept in zip loc bag for many years.

I did mod my eReader by removing the pass through link port to make it work gracefully with any SP. The pass through link is just basically a 3" GBA link extension cable.

Reason I actually got it was from Super Mario Advance 4. The Super Mario Bros. 3 version with the Super Mario All Stars upgraded graphics. It had all the bonus unlockable levels and I found it to be interesting and that is why I got it.

• Like 1

Went through all the GBC roms and picked out 95 that I will put on the GB Everdrive when it arrives.

At first I was only going to put on GB games, since I have no history with the GBC.

I am mostly into platformers, not into sports or RPG. Any comments?

102 Dalmatians - Puppies to the Rescue
720 Degrees
Action Man - Search for Base X
Aladdin
Antz
Asteroids
Atlantis - The Lost Empire
Bionic Commando - Elite Forces
Blaster Master - Enemy Below
Bugs Bunny - Crazy Castle 3
Bugs Bunny - Crazy Castle 4
Bugs Bunny & Lola Bunny - Carrot Crazy
Bug's Life, A
Commander Keen
Croc 2
Croc
Daffy Duck - Fowl Play
Disney's Tarzan
Donald Duck - Goin' Quackers
Donkey Kong Country
Dracula - Crazy Vampire
Dragon's Lair
Dropzone
Earthworm Jim - Menace 2 the Galaxy
Galaga - Destination Earth
Gex 3 - Deep Cover Gecko
Gex - Enter the Gecko
Ghosts 'N Goblins
Gold and Glory - The Road to El Dorado
Grinch, The
Inspector Gadget - Operation Madkactus
Jungle Book, The - Mowgli's Wild Adventure
Land Before Time, The
Lion King, The - Simba's Mighty Adventure
Looney Tunes Collector - Alert!
Looney Tunes
Lucky Luke
Marble Madness
Mario Golf
Marvin Strikes Back!
Mask of Zorro, The
Megaman Xtreme 2
Megaman Xtreme
Metroid II - Return of Samus by Zorlon
Metroid II - Return of Samus
Mission Impossible
M&M's Minis Madness
Monopoly
Montezuma's Return
Motocross Maniacs 2
Mr Nutz
Ms. Pac-Man Special Color Edition
Mummy, The
New Batman Adventures, The - Chaos in Gotham
Pac-Man Special Color Edition
Paperboy
Pitfall - Beyond the Jungle
Planet of the Apes
Portal Runner
Power Rangers - Lightspeed Rescue
Power Rangers - Time Force
Project S-11
Q-bert
Rats!
Rayman 2 - The Great Escape
Rayman
Return of the Ninja
Rhino Rumble
R-Type DX
Sgt. Rock - On The Front Line
Shamus
Shantae
Smurfs Nightmare, The
Space Invaders
Space Marauder
Spawn
Speedy Gonzales - Aztec Adventure
Spider-Man 2 - The Sinister Six
Spider-Man
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Sylvester and Tweety
Titus the Fox
Toki Tori
Tom and Jerry in Mouse Attacks!
Tom and Jerry
Tomb Raider - Curse of the Sword
Tomb Raider
Tweety's High-Flying Adventure
V-Rally - Championship Edition
Wario Land 3
Wario Land II
Wendy - Every Witch Way
Woody Woodpecker
Zoboomafoo - Playtime In Zobooland

Edited by airsoftmodels

I made a video on the Game Boy Color, which I feel doesn't get enough credit for being awesome. You guys might dig it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2XTd_BJ5Ak

Awesome video! I'm a huge Game Boy Color fan (I can never seem to decide between the GBC or DS Lite for my all time favorite game system) and you did a great job of covering all the essential info on the system, with some excellent game recommendations too. They were all top notch games with broad appeal that really show what the system can do. I'd also recommend Project S-11 and Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit, but those are a bit more niche. Project S-11 is a vertical scrolling shmup that pushes the system far beyond what most people could imagine it's sound and graphics chips could be capable of, without one iota of slowdown in the process. Towers on the other hand is a first person western style RPG with real time melee and spell casting combat, labyrinthian dungeons to explore, and a fair bit puzzle solving to do. If you can imagine what an 8-bit Elder Scrolls game might be like, what you're thinking of right now is probably pretty similar to Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit.

Anyway, great video once again! You earned a subscription from me for sure. :D

Awesome to finally see the gameboy getting some attention on AtariAge :D

Been a avid fan of the gameboy line ever since its initial launch and has quite a few systems as well as a decent sized collection of both official titles and chinese exclusive ones :)

I've also had quite a few goes at programming for the system and has become a big fan of both the capabilities of the hardware and the exploits there is to present some neat visuals on it.

(shameless display of bootup sequence)

DeadBootup_zps8t64spke.gif

I snapped up one of the Mother 1/2 + 3 fan translation GBA cart deals on ebay about 2 weeks ago or so. I had no idea how it would really be quality-wise but it was a 25 USD experiment, so I figured I would see how it went. It was a little oddly run as it was from 'Pennsylvania' but was really from China when I got it a week or so later than expected with no tracking, making me wonder if it was going to be a hassle. It definitely feels like contraband to me, but It's the only time I've bought anything unofficial so it's neat.

I think the Mother 3 cart/ROM is from the fan translation project, which I did play about 12 hours into and it seemed to me to be a very good translation. I basically got the entire thing hoping to negate the emulation lag that ruins the rhythm mechanic in this game.

1/2 are from a source unknown to me. The Mother 2 translation appears to be mostly complete. Dialog is translated at least through the intro meteor bit, but the location name text and save text is either in Japanese or sort of garbled, but totally playable. From what I recall of the original dialog it seems to be more or less the same. Having a cop tell me to 'get my ass to bed' on my GBA screen is entertaining. The music and aesthetics are what I really love and that's all intact so far so I'm happy. According to the splash screen the Mother 1 translation is complete but it'll be a bit before I really get into that. I have a save going on my Wii U virtual console copy so I'm not sure if I'll get to it other than just loading it up to check.

I recently was offered back my old copy of Earthbound on SNES with my save still intact, so It'll be neat to see how they compare in a few months when I move and get that back.

Project S-11 has nice graphics, but I feel the gameplay pales in comparison to b/w GB shmups like Nemesis, Sagaia, Twinbee Da!!, and Gradius Interstellar Assault. Some of my favorites for GB b/w are Bionic Commando, Mega Man IV and V, Final Fantasy Adventure, Revenge of the Gator, Kirby's Pinball Land, Super Mario Land, Game and Watch Gallery, Pocket Puyo Puyo Tsuu, Link's Awakening, Kirby's Dreamland, Track and Field, Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge, Motocross Maniacs, and Tetris. For GBC I like Wario Land 3, Game and Watch Gallery 2 and 3, Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Shantae, Xtreme Sports, Dragon Warrior III, and Pokémon Puzzle Challenge. Some of my favorites on GBA are Wario Land 4, Fire Emblem 7, Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Zero 3, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Mega Man Battle Network 3, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Mr. Driller A, Racing Gears Advance, Game and Watch Gallery 4, and Double Dragon Advance.

Edited by BrianC

It would be rolling way off topic for this thread, but that sounds pretty interesting. I don't know anything about the process of translating, especially an artistic creation where subtext and non-obvious intent matter. I'm in the process of at least learning the written form of Japanese to help with work but I'm a slow learner...sigh.

/off topic

As someone who loves their Game Boy Camera and still takes pictures with it regularly, I will be placing an order for this amazing bit of kit on the 1st of next month: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/hardware_review_bitboy_lets_you_back_up_your_game_boy_camera_snaps_with_ease

The BitBoy is little on the pricey side, but it's by far the best solution ever created for transferring photos from a Game Boy Camera to a modern computer! :D

• 1 month later...

i took my game boy advance and my everdrive gb on a weekend vacation to palm desert. being away from the house and the computer gave me a bit of time to check out my 95 gameboy color favorites. now that i am home again, i have come to the conclusion that aside from a handful of good game boy color games, most have terrible sound, and are just not very good, especially compared to the many excellent selection of regular game boy games. (which also have great soundtracks)

i have decided to pull the entire collection of gameboy color games off the everdrive gb, and concentrate on just playing game boy games from here on out.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have always been a huge fan of the Game Boy. It was my first gaming device I owned. Having big brothers who mainly played on consoles I was left alone in the corner. To play this mono chrome beast.
Now at the age of 31, I'm playing Game Boy Advance. On the commute to work, seeing people with their touch screen devices, Heres me with the Game Boy Advance.
Sorry for my ranting!
NOT one to self promote. Im honestly just a fan of the GBA.
If you are interested in the Game Boy Advance and the back log of games like myself feel free to check out my channel. I review GBA games. I linked one of the many hidden gems on the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WF48tJCeoQ

• Like 1

I hated the GB at first. I thought to myself what is wrong with these Americans, they are so behind the times......first, they went back to 8-bit gaming when the rest of the world was getting into 16-bit, and now, even worse, they went back to 8-bit black and white gaming, when they can have 16-bit(ish) in colour. One might say it's all about the games, bull, I still say that the Amiga had far better games than the NES, don't tell an American though.....same with the Game Boy, Tetris could've come on Lynx, no doubt about that, but there you go.

I always slagged off the Game Boy in my fanzine 8/16 (hated anything anti-Atari), but since the mid-90s I like the Game Boy too.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1