IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

I figured this would be the best place to ask. Will anyone with a GB Everdrive (or emulator) please give a try of my new Game Boy game I'm making. It's a lot like the 2600 game Fast Food. Let me know how I'm doing and what you think of it.

I have an Everdrive, but I just want opinions on the game.

fastfoodversion18.zip

I made my first gaming related purchase of 2019 this week, and it's one that I'm at pretty much maximum possible levels of excitement about! I've owned a couple AGS-101 backlit Game Boy Advance systems in the past but they both had Chinese reproduction shells and buttons and I really never cared for the cheap flimsy feeling of the shells and poorly cast buttons, so I eventually sold them and decided to keep an eye out for a pristine mint condition Indigo colored GBA with all original Nintendo parts that I could add a backlit screen to myself. After a good year or so of searching I finally found exactly what I was looking for!

For $45 shipped I picked up a gem mint Indigo GBA with zero scratches anywhere on the system and all original Nintendo parts, plus the seller threw in a carrying case and a few equally mint condition games to go with the system. It feels absolutely glorious in my hands, solid and sturdy with nice smoothly cast and responsive buttons, and over the next few months I'll be upgrading it with an AGS-101 LCD screen, BennVenn Voltage Regulator for maximum screen brightness, and an EverDrive GBA X5 fully loaded with every game I could ever possibly want to play for the Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, original Game Boy, NES, Game Gear, and Sega Master System. That's my gaming project for 2019! :)

For GBA, there is truly nothing better than the original GBA when it comes to controls and comfort. Once you get it modded with a GB SP screen, it's like night and day. Nintendo should have been ashamed of themselves with the original GBA screen they released; it's far more difficult to see in low light than even the GB Pocket!

• Like 1

I figured this would be the best place to ask. Will anyone with a GB Everdrive (or emulator) please give a try of my new Game Boy game I'm making. It's a lot like the 2600 game Fast Food. Let me know how I'm doing and what you think of it.

I tried to run it three times on a GBA emulator of the Gameboy. Every time it froze up on the Gameboy splash screen.

Played it on my GBA with EZFlash Omega and it worked fine. I scored 57 before losing my lives. I thought it was basic, and definitely 2600'ish.

Wow those are pretty detailed little GBA 101s you made there. I keep fence sitting doing the job on the Glacier I have lying around, but I'm kind of concerned about shaving the plastic as it's see through as it could ugly it up.

I actually had some nice luck in the last week. I found a Japanese GB game, Kunio Nekketsu title that is the GB version of Crash and the Boys at a half price bucks cheap. Then the other night I had to go by one and went in, found a nearly immaculate CIB GB release of Pinball Dreams which surprised me for only $10 (game sells for $10 loose in decent shape on ebay.) I figured it was worth it as it's cut down sure, but I do like video pinball and like that old game (on other systems) as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, does anyone here by chance know what the best ColecoVision emulator for the GBA is? I'd really like to be able to play the ColecoVision version of Venture on my GBA when I get an EverDrive GBA X5 later this year but I'm not sure which of the emulator options has the best compatibility/reliability.

• 3 weeks later...

This arrived today:

Backlit Game Boy (DMG-01) w/ Bivert mod

Wow, this looks incredible. IMO this is the best way to play the B&W games.

- Compared with GB Pocket/Light: Ever so slightly blurrier in motion, but much higher contrast and no vertical streaking. The backlight is miles better than than the light on the GB Light. The joypad and buttons are also much better in the DMG-01.

- Compared with GB Color: Much blurrier of course, but it sounds/plays much better (latter due to form factor and quality of joypad/buttons). It's obviously more visible than the GB Color due to the backlight. Some effects looks strange on the GB Color, probably due to the smaller screen (bonus for DMG-01: larger screen).

- Compared with GB Advance: Form factor is up to personal preference (I prefer the vertical orientation of the GB), but the buttons are clearly better on the DMG-01, and the original GBA screen is an eyesore. A modded GBA with the backlit screen from the SP is a very good alternative though.

I take it you have a GB Light too eh?

I had for a time considered a lit up GB Pocket as it seemed like a wise choice with that sharp panel it has, but now that there is a cheap ($70 for first run, will drop) literally 'drop in' backlit LCD made for the GBC now due to BenVenn I'm holding out on that. Popping bright, clean images with a pure solid image nestled away in an original GBC. That's where I'm going next because I never EVER have liked to play GBC games on GBA, they're just annoying to me between how they display and some games either glitch out or due to where the slot sits are not compatible (plus it's a classic gameboy comfort issue too.) Had that not been invented recently I'd be on board.

I do have a GB Light—imo, it's a very fine device, and was my preferred device for GB games until just now. Great battery life even if you use the light, very nice joypad/buttons, and games look like they are supposed to look (you could argue that the EL backlight provides a visual experience closer to the original GB). The only negative at all is the vertical streaking that plagues these types of screens, but even that's not a dealbreaker.

I do have a frontlight modded GBC (installed with LOCA) also, and it's better than I thought it would be, but obviously a far cry from a backlight. I'm looking forward to that BenVenn mod also, though I honestly don't like the GB Color library much, so probably will just stick with my current GBC.

Edited by newtmonkey

I tried to get into that LOCA mess a couple years back, got burned by a well known seller incompetent on ebay who tried to blame the post office or me over haze and spider cracking all around the edge of the work that was done so I had to force a return and refund out of the dude. That's why when I got the GBC I did years ago, I stored it as it's minty like fresh awaiting the day a 101 like proper job was figured out and it has arrived. That right there to me will be the pinnacle of it even over those excellent light/bivert jobs. The GBC gets you everything of the 8bit GB family beefed up (clear cart), hybrid, and original in one device with the comfort of a GB/GBP/GBL with that vertical design. -- I do agree about that vertical streaking issue of the GBP family, a bit annoying but I took it over the big blur of the original despite the fact most games made in those days before the Pocket popped up were designed to get around that.

I have to ask, what do you dislike about the GBC library. And before you jump on the annoying level of shitty movie/cartoon games, was there any other good reason(s?) I was a pretty big fan of it, but I also did mine out the corn from the turds on that and came out with some amazing games I still love to dabble with.

• Like 1

The new GBC backlight will be very interesting indeed. :) Looking forward to that.

There just isn't much in the GBC library that interests me, to be honest. My favorite GBC games are probably Link's Awakening DX, Wario Land 3, Super Mario Bros. DX, and the two Capcom Zelda games, but other than that, not much for me (and I actually prefer the B&W graphics for Link's Awakening, and would rather play SMB on a NES). If you have any recommendations for GBC, I'd like to hear them as I'm always on the lookout for hidden gems.

(I was going to mention the annoying level of shitty movie/cartoon games haha).

Definitely. Most I won't largely explain as it would be best just to look it up though, and others well like Metal Gear Solid, I think would be obvious being a franchise game unless it's just of no interest.

Warlocked I always start with because it's basically the original warcraft (both campaign sides) and I kid you not, lots of stuff going on, everything has a sound and verbalization too, lots to do, and oddly plays well and smoothly.

Cannon Fodder is another, a classic, and it converted pretty strongly, also opens up with a pretty amusing FMV too which is strange for the system.

Dragon's Lair is NOT the GB/NES/SNES turd, it's the laserdisc game with around 6 moves missing fully intact for play downgraded to a still workable pretty 2bit color scheme.

Wendy Every Witch Way -- Before there was Shantae, they made this licensed game, and it's basically the NES game Metal Storm mixed with a more Shantae style, mostly gravity platformer, has some basic shooter sections too.

Seeing your interest in the adventure stuff, maybe RPGs too, the Dragon Warrior 1+2 and DW3 packages really are a must.

Other than that you could look into 1942 (arcade port), Ghosts n Goblins (NES w/password), 3D Ultra Pinball (rumble), Blaster Master (like direct NES sequel), Kettou Beast Wars (Transformers 1on1 JP fighting game), any of the 4 volumes of the Konami GB Collection which colorize old GB franchise titles and brings some JP losses into english, Mario Golf and Tennis but more so Golf, Mega Man Xtreme1/2, Mr Driller (accurate, no battery to save hi scores though), Pokemon Crystal (if you're into it), Project S-11 (insane vertical shooter, more on screen than you think GBC could do with demoscene style music), Shadowgate Classic, Street Fighter Alpha (maybe low color, but its intact), Tetris DX (classic game in color, meh music, but scores save), Toki Tori (puzzle game, well known), Top Gear Pocket 2 (rally racer), and there are a pair of Tomb Raider games that handle smoothly like Prince of Persia in style.

I could come up with more, some imports, but that's a good start.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Great video by Savage & Dr.Droo's Retro Gaming Channel regarding 5 random Game Boy titles. I donated to their channel with two games and I think you enjoy it overall. :)'

From the description,

"Welcome to the Retro Gaming Castle, with your hosts Savage and Mr. Droo.

Join us on our journey into retro gaming, as we review classic games, countdown some of our all time favourites, take a look at arcade ports on home consoles and much, much more.

In this episode we take a look at 5 Nintendo Game Boy games chosen totally at random from our collection. Have you played any of these games? Let us know about it in the comment section below."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoAHCh33YU&feature=youtu.be

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Return of the Gator is a fun little pinball game. :)

I really do love the library of the Game Boy.. well, for the first few years anyway, up until the point the system experienced its second life as a Pokemon system.

There's a great book that lists every game that came out on the Game Boy (including GB Color games) along with a screenshot and a short description:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4862978223/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Browsing this book, it's very clear that the GB had an AMAZING first few years, with a library of games that were mostly original titles or at least original entries in established series with a decent budget behind them that were just as good as what was coming out on the NES/Famicom (just in B&W of course, but in glorious stereo sound)... but after a certain point, the library becomes completely infested with licensed games and Pokemon ripoffs. This is true in Japan and elsewhere, but it's especially noticeable in Japan, where you are turning the pages in this book and after a certain point, the majority of games released each year were complete junk based on cartoons or were pokemon clones.

The Game Boy was truly amazing for the first 3-4 years it was out, I'd reckon. Besides the lack of color, it was pretty much on par with the NES/Famicom, and I think that is the only time in history where the dominant portable system was almost nearly as powerful as the dominant console(s), and you could really get the console experience on a little handheld.

• Like 3

Currently Jeremy Parish is working on a year by year youtube converted to book project by the year. If I had the free funds to really donate to the cause I'd buy his line of Gameboy yearly books as he doesn't just do screen caps and the usual crap you can dig up in a hot google search in 60 seconds, there's true stories, histories behind and about the game too. He started it on the NES, transitioned to the GB, then went into SNES more recently and just started doing the small life of Virtual Boy now. I know he's a huge Nintendo fanboy so people hate his guts when it comes to his coverage of systems/games from others as he'll clearly show like half the passion or detailing if that, but if you love Nintendo he's a great source.

Funny chance about Revenge of the Gator, was out today, saw in a stack of 4 games the Japanese version of it which has a pretty amusing little sticker for the era.

The Gameboy had a hell of a life up until Pokemon changed the landscape that's for sure, less started to come out around it that didn't have some collection aspect to it which was a shame. GBC had a life of its own thankfully until Pokemon again got a hand in it, but it was less ugly, though very present. It's not really fair to blame the GB, Pokemon was so huge digimon, azure dreams, and others got out there too on all home and handheld formats so it was hard to avoid.

I'd have to be in agreement about the GB, most definitely throwing the GBC in there too that it would have been on the same level as what the NES/FC could pull off, and most it's mappers too. The GBC would qualify into the high tier mappers (like the KOnami VRCs and some Namcos) for the GBC. The system was really on par with the home market for Nintendo gamers until the SNES came along and the NES died off in 1994. Some would not agree, but I think you can chock it up in the end to the 160x144 vs 256x240(NES) resolution so you have to scale things down, a little less, detail, yet a little more in other ways due to the limited space. Sound though, I think the GB trumped the NES often enough so it kind of was a trade off.

• Like 1

Wow $150?? You can do better, like $50 better if you use a little patience and bother looking better first. I don't recall everdrives ever having a problem with the modded 101. Google probably would answer it quicker.

Well fully modded is like going to car mechanic. Labor is expensive. You can buy your own screen and do it your self.

Anybody got opinions on that Digi Retroboy thing?

https://digiretro.com/products/retroboy/GB.html

It looks like a solid Game Boy Advance clone, playing its games either straight from the cartridge or with an included SD card adapter. Only problem is that it's kind of expensive. Here's a review of the machine, courtesy of Brandon Salt: