IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

@MrBungler

I'm running out of ideas.  Since it pops on and off for a moment, it is getting power so you're not missing some random surface mounted cap somewhere (I've got a GBC that's lacking one, so it won't turn on which stinks.)  I'm sure you mitigated the corrosion as that's a given, and it does kind of power.  But I do have thoughts on this as I'm betting you weren't entirely forward on this, you said GBA but not model, and what you're describing entirely fits the GBA SP perfectly so if it's an original I'd be a little surprised.  The SP has this happen when there is an issue with not the fuse you replaced or the switch, but a battery issue on the rechargeable itself.  They amusingly tend to fail but not like PSP batteries they don't bloat into this pillow shape.  You could have one that has cracked internally or just rotted out and being the type of battery they are, could blow.  Also if you take that battery out, the dumb thing won't even work just plugged in the wall.  I had a GBA SP do this fairly recently and thought it was a doorstop, but I had other SP batteries I've saved from broken units, it was flat, so it took like 20-30min of initial charging, but it came back to life.

Now if it's an original AA using GBA, I'd want to suggest if you have the parts, to try a wall adapter on that as well just to perhaps see if you get another reaction.

• Like 1

@Tanooki

Thank you for the response.  This is a standard AA GBA, not an SP.  Good idea on the testing with wall power.  I will give that a go tomorrow (assuming I can find the parts) and report back!  I wish I had a deeper knowledge of the GBA hardware so I could poke around testing power are different points on the board but sadly I lack that knowledge.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

I'm running out of ideas.  Since it pops on and off for a moment, it is getting power so you're not missing some random surface mounted cap somewhere (I've got a GBC that's lacking one, so it won't turn on which stinks.)  I'm sure you mitigated the corrosion as that's a given, and it does kind of power.

I'd suggest if you have it, reddit, go to /Gameboy and there are hacks, mods, repair people there in sections for that which can point out other ideas.  I'm familiar to a good point, but down to the resistor/capacitor level not so much.   You could very well have something that's fried on that or sadly worse.  It still feels like a battery issue a SP would have, but that's not what you got so it's between those contacts and the next place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my Game Boy game out and played Solomon's Club and I almost threw DuckTales on the floor and stomped on it because I couldn't figure out how to hop with the cane. And this lead to me continuing work on a Game Boy game I had been working on called "Flies!" It's like the Mario Paint minigame where you swat flies while avoiding bees. The main thing I did was add a "GAME OVER." message. You'd think it would be simple, but noooo. Had to spend a few hours on it. It kept wanting to display the number of lives as 65,535. I want to make sure things are absolutely working and fine before I call it finished and make a small run of about 10 or so. I know a guy. So if you have an emulator or Everdrive, I need some testers.

flies_2021_07_28.zip

• Sad 1

I may give it a try.  Speaking of gameboy, been a bit since I got something new for it, but that happened.  Last week I nailed down a couple ones I found would be fun to own off a claim sale, very well priced too. NBA Jam TE (CIB no less) and KOF 95(damn this game is evil hard.)  They came in the mail today and I've just barely scratched either, neither are a push over.  It has been some time since the last grab and I don't remember if I even mentioned it but it was last May when I stumbled across 1/2 priced Zelda Ages and Seasons at two different stores a day apart and that first day also got a fair priced DKland too.  I don't go nuts after stuff, just has to be desirable and price desirable as it is these days. :D  I really don't remember mentioning it like I did in June with the castlevania double pack for $25 which was highway robbery ($100+ game.)

A reissue of Tail Gator, which isn’t hugely expensive but is getting there, is available for open preorder from Limited Run Games: 

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/tail-gator-game-boy

The boxed reissue at $35 costs a little more than the loose cartridge goes for, and has an awesome green cart shell.

EDIT: gulp. The loose cart price has gone up since I remember it. It’s averaging $65 now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

A reissue of Tail Gator, which isn’t hugely expensive but is getting there, is available for open preorder from Limited Run Games: 

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/tail-gator-game-boy

The boxed reissue at $35 costs a little more than the loose cartridge goes for, and has an awesome green cart shell.

EDIT: gulp. The loose cart price has gone up since I remember it. It’s averaging $65 now.

Yeah, might have to be more wary of prices for Game Boy gems. Speaking of which, there's Dexterity, which is a puzzle game that involves flipping light tiles into dark tiles while avoiding enemies. Loose copies average $6 according to price charting, so anyone interested can have at it without spending too much.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Just bought Klax. I saw it on eBay and wondered how it's possible given the game uses lots of color.

I'm a big Klax fan and the Gameboy version is just about my favorite. They used different patterns for the tiles rather than colors. It's weird, but I think my brain can pick up and process the patterns easier than the colors. It will be interesting to see what you think of it.

• Like 1

I’ve been playing Crystal Quest, a port of the Patrick Buckland Mac classic by Steven R Bjork, famous to me for his awesome Tandy Color Computer clones of Q Bert, Congo Bongo, and more, not to mention the top 10 best for the system original game Stellar Lifeline.

This Data East (!!) game was from the strange point in time around the turn of the decade where it was normal for a Japanese publisher to publish a Western release of a port of an extremely Western computer game. (A situation that didn’t come around again until the 2010s, I think.)

Here is a long play:

I haven’t gotten that good yet, and that person was using save states, but my first good game in a while got to level 37 or so and took the top spot on the high score table:

2B1FAF90-7EB6-445E-9C4B-1F227DDB223F.thumb.jpeg.320b28e9752ce9d843db44788edf7d38.jpeg

The Takara/SNK fighters for both the Game Boy and Game Gear are well worth playing. They did a great job.

The other game I played a lot of this week is Hiden Inyou Kikouhou: Ca Da (華佗 秘伝陰陽気功法, or literally Ca Da Secret Yin Yang Qigong Method). Most easily found under the name 華佗, which is the name of the legendary Chinese scholar, doctor, and qigong practitioner Hua Tuo. Besides being the father of anaesthesiology, he was also an accomplished acupuncturist, and I guess something about balancing the energies is the goal of this game. Each level is a part of a patient’s body, and you platform through balancing the energies. Why people call this game Ca Da instead of Hua Tuo is beyond me, though. Maybe the kanji have multiple pronunciations?

This game is a pain in the butt to find because of the strange title. I got it for about $8 plus shipping from Amazon.co.jp, but I had to use ZenMarket to get it since the seller didn’t ship internationally.

• Like 1