IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

Well it's really about Inafune. Who actually wasn't involved at all and let the lie spread. Than when he was promoted and got full control of the MM franchise around MM8 ran it into the ground, with Battle Network having a brief spark of popularity. But after the series was in shambles 

With MM11 and the collections maybe the series can start recovering from the damage and get back on track faster.

I never really liked Battle Network other than the decent wish it were classic MM entry on the Gamecube, and MM8 was passable at best.  If X was his thing, screw that series and what it spawned, not a fan, barely tolerate it outside of the first one and it's handheld conversion of sorts.  He's just not good, and MM11 was bad, wish I had kept it sometimes as I just didn't have time to dedicate to it but it seemed far far better than 9 and 10 which blew.

• Like 1

Game Boy Advance puzzle obscurities for anyone interested:

Super Collapse! II:

Tringo:

Snood 2: On Vacation:

Uno Free Fall:

Turbo Turtle Adventure:

Scrabble Blast!:

Super Bubble Pop:

Gem Smashers:

ZooCube:

Superman Returns: Fortress of Solitude:

Mighty Beanz: Pocket Puzzles:

Denki Blocks!:

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I never really liked Battle Network other than the decent wish it were classic MM entry on the Gamecube, and MM8 was passable at best.  If X was his thing, screw that series and what it spawned, not a fan, barely tolerate it outside of the first one and it's handheld conversion of sorts.  He's just not good, and MM11 was bad, wish I had kept it sometimes as I just didn't have time to dedicate to it but it seemed far far better than 9 and 10 which blew.

He didn't touch X until X4, the first 3 X games were basically an internal clash against him because he wanted different gameplay and Zero to be the main character but he had no power to do that.

Capcom went the opposite direction. Those 3 are often considered the best entries in the series too. Outside a loud minority of X4 fans.

Also the classic style attempt with the gamecube Megaman Battle Network game was horrible. Music was ok but that's the best compliment I'll give it.

As for MM11, I'm not too much of a fan, but that's the first major entry in 7 years, so we'll see what direction they go in next. The so called upcoming "Taisan" game they are working on has a budget, and they project over 2 million sold.

Considering no Mega Man title has sold 2 million in it's existence, they either must be very confident, or very crazy.

I've got no idea what Taisan is, hadn't heard of more mega man as they seem to mostly just not care about their real first two mascot with staying power over the years.  I don't follow the game politics, I just know that guy has the quality of drift wood among mega man fans.  From what I've seen with MN9 I got fed up with his crap and still haven't bought it, no matter how cheap it plunges on whatever format I could use (PC at this rate.)

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've got no idea what Taisan is, hadn't heard of more mega man as they seem to mostly just not care about their real first two mascot with staying power over the years.  I don't follow the game politics, I just know that guy has the quality of drift wood among mega man fans.  From what I've seen with MN9 I got fed up with his crap and still haven't bought it, no matter how cheap it plunges on whatever format I could use (PC at this rate.)

Taisen is the announced codename for the new "upcoming" Mega Man title. All that's known is Capcom "says" it will be big, and projecting over two million sales. I think that's just fodder for the fans though.

As for Inafune he was already on egg shells but the scam he pulled with MN9 made him more than irrelevant, and considering how much damage he did at Capcom OUTSIDE of Mega Man I'd say it's well deserved.

Sometimes it's the bad eggs that cause companies to fall downward. Capcom has been on a roll since turning face in 2015.

Konami being the exception, even though Konami countering (some of) Kojimas dumb stuff is why MGS was so popular, but all those guys are gone, so I have no clue what significant, if any, staff are still at that company. The new PES has been renamed and is free 2 play now so uh...

41 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

I’m really bummed that Daikatana has ascended to the realm of bitcoin bro investment vehicle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gameboy-Color-Daikatana-EUR-Version-Complete-in-Box-GBC-/363431507547

Oh well, I’ll always have my cheap Chinese repro in a nifty red shell.

Strange how it wasn't released in the US.

Is the japanese version cheaper?

13 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Well, maybe it isn't so strange since Daikatana on N64 proved pretty unpopular. lol

You mean where the US was the most popular country for the 20 units it sold lol?

I always found that strange, same with Shenmue 2. First game didn't light any fires, but making 2 (on DC) EU and JP exclusive when first was most successful in the US was strange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I’m really bummed that Daikatana has ascended to the realm of bitcoin bro investment vehicle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gameboy-Color-Daikatana-EUR-Version-Complete-in-Box-GBC-/363431507547

Oh well, I’ll always have my cheap Chinese repro in a nifty red shell.

Love to see that, screw these scalpers sounds cooler anyway.

• Like 2

I dunno.. isn't scalping more getting current retail product with high demand, and then reselling it at a higher price. 

As far as I'm concerned if you have an old mcdonalds happy meal toy or a GBC Daikatana laying around, and try and sell it for $600 and then it rots on ebay forever, that's up to you. Or if someone actually buys it, then yeah.. bonus ? Nothing wrong with either really.

• Like 2

I dunno.. isn't scalping more getting current retail product with high demand, and then reselling it at a higher price. 

As far as I'm concerned if you have an old mcdonalds happy meal toy or a GBC Daikatana laying around, and try and sell it for $600 and then it rots on ebay forever, that's up to you. Or if someone actually buys it, then yeah.. bonus [emoji14] Nothing wrong with either really.

I agree. Really it is just getting lucky or using a bot to purchase retail items. I think Covid allowed more people to have time on there hands that they wouldn’t have otherwise had.

• Like 1

I'd argue Gameboy Color did justice as nice if not nicer a few years earlier with Warlocked.

It's basically a copy cat of Warcraft Orcs and Humans, similar units, stages, amount of stages per side too.  They add in special talent wizards you can find on maps, then deploy in battle on later maps after that stage.

Sure it's GBC, but, good use of color, large amount of sprites, full audio spectrum here right down to every character having their own multiple clear vocal pieces just like the PC big cousin of it.  It's such a magnificent and well done ripoff with perks.

Here's a taste picking up the Human campaign, some nutty speed runner, right when they're about to attack the Orc/Enemy base and raise it.

• Like 2