IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Game Boy related question:

The faceplate (the thing surrounding the screen and is on top of it) fell off. I still have it. What can I use to glue it back on?

I would SERIOUSLY advise getting a glass replacement. It’s amazing how clear they look, and they’re dirt cheap.

But if you don’t want to extra-strength double-sided tape should probably work.

I recently picked up Road Trip: Shifting Gears (aka Choro Q) for the Game Boy Advance for like $12. It is FIENDISHLY addictive, it looks great, and driving is super fun. The Mario Kart clone isn’t great, but it’s not terrible, but the other modes are great. Here is a great overview from our own @Reaperman!

Oddly enough the main title theme is a dead on ripoff of the very distinctive chorus countermelody of the great 1996 Tragically Hip song “700 Ft Ceiling”. Weird coincidence I’m sure, but it’s really dead on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m just saying that for me a tempered glass one was a huge upgrade even with the original screen. You can still keep the old one in storage if you don’t want to throw it away. But I think double stickyback tape (as we call it in my neck of the woods) would get you back in action.

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I would SERIOUSLY advise getting a glass replacement. It’s amazing how clear they look, and they’re dirt cheap.

But if you don’t want to extra-strength double-sided tape should probably work.

I recently picked up Road Trip: Shifting Gears (aka Choro Q) for the Game Boy Advance for like $12. It is FIENDISHLY addictive, it looks great, and driving is super fun. The Mario Kart clone isn’t great, but it’s not terrible, but the other modes are great. Here is a great overview from our own @Reaperman!

Oddly enough the main title theme is a dead on ripoff of the very distinctive chorus countermelody of the great 1996 Tragically Hip song “700 Ft Ceiling”. Weird coincidence I’m sure, but it’s really dead on.

Yeah, Choro Q is a good candidate for people to claim as one of those underappreciated gaming series that's now largely unknown. Penny Racers (aka Choro Q 64) is probably one of the better known installments though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Today I found out there’s a Game Boy Color spin-off of a Nintendo 64 RPG which functions like Mr. Do!:

Since both this and SNES Mr. Do! were developed by imagineer, I would think that it may have been originally intended to be a GBC Mr. Do! game.

• Like 2

I never did play that, I played the first one to death night after night until I'd pass out with the light on in bed in college... did finish it too and it was worthy.  Yeah it has pokemon-ish style on it, but it's better handled in how things work, level up and so on...far less offensive, more balanced in growth like a shin megami tensei title which is nice.  Also was my first SMT system too, Last Bible got a color release as Revelations the Demon Slayer which I can highly recommend getting.

• Like 2

Interesting Game Boy games that were apparently going to be released in the US, but got cancelled and stayed in their respective countries:

Doomsayer: A Hero's Crusade:

Monster Max:

Triumph:

Daikatana:

The New Addams Family:

Tiny Toon Adventures: Dizzy's Candy Quest:

CT Special Forces 3: Navy Ops:

Sheep:

Zooo: Action Puzzle Game:

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, Tanooki said:

I never did play that, I played the first one to death night after night until I'd pass out with the light on in bed in college... did finish it too and it was worthy.  Yeah it has pokemon-ish style on it, but it's better handled in how things work, level up and so on...far less offensive, more balanced in growth like a shin megami tensei title which is nice.  Also was my first SMT system too, Last Bible got a color release as Revelations the Demon Slayer which I can highly recommend getting.

Agreed, standout Megami Tensei game for the system.

• Like 1

Hey all, any tech side here ? 

I have a Gameboy Pocket, it does NOT turn on, power is getting to the board, I believed it's the switch, so I ordered one. I pulled off the old one while waiting. I get the new one, and it not fit right.

Is there 2 pins that I can short out showing it's on to test to make sure that WAS the problem ? If so, what pins ?

• Like 1

Lock N Chase is a lot of fun, good call.  Similar period, kind of like but not Sokoban as it has a push mechanic, but so done better and less obnoxious would be Pitman/Catrap.  Fantastic game, oddly added some value to it recently which I don't get, used to just get ignored into the $5 bin.

Dave I've never heard of shorting it, not sure you can but I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't.  You'd need to bridge the 2 points the old switch rested on.  If you ever tear one apart they're so pathetically simple inside.  Switch plastic nub sits on a metal slider, and it moves over a larger slider within and over over enough it clicks into place as on completing the circuit, and off otherwise.  The volume/contrast ones are similar, but an open slide to add more juice to increase the contrast or volume.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

This of course went on to be the DS launch title Zoo Keeper, not to be confused with the Taito game. I spent way, way too many hours with it.

Yeah, I’d say the music is better in Zooo though. Never knew that Scooby-Doo was point and click on GBC either!

Edited by electricmastro
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

This of course went on to be the DS launch title Zoo Keeper, not to be confused with the Taito game. I spent way, way too many hours with it.

Which actually started life as a flash game then converted to the DS and spawned mobile ports as well.  I had it on DS, my kid still does but never uses it, and it's also on ios/android.  The mobile one has two the traditional version but they also did this party/dx thing I guess more for lame online multiplayer battling and ranking.  I still like to pop it up on my phone and slide some animals away.  It did surprise me in the day the GBA game never made it over, but at the same time I actually see good reason NOT to.  You'll lose far faster at that having to move the icon around to then slide stuff away to keep the counter from killing you.  So without not being able to mouse/finger click it, the game will end far faster with slower input time capping your play out.

• Like 1